Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2024 7:50:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PKT1106]
Heading west this summer with the camper. TV is a 2022 Ram Laramie with a 5.7L hemi and 3.21 gears. Rated for 817#/8170#. Camper is rated GVWR of 4835#. We're well within our limits at sea level, but what about at 10,000ft ASL? I believe the manual says de-rate 2% for every 1000ft of elevation gain. At 10k ft, that's 20% or so. Takes us down to 6536# towing capacity. Still within limits, but I wanted to know if there is anything else to be aware of when going higher above sea level and towing. Should we spring for the higher octane while at higher altitude?

Thanks

ETA: The manual for our truck doesn't specifically call out high altitude towing and a cursory search lead me to an article that said RAM was the only manufacturer adhering to the SAE Towing Standard, so they don't de-rate for altitude.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Tow rating isn’t really about power. It’s more about braking and handling.

You won’t need high octane. Fuels are generally lower octane up here.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I tow near the max limit of my tow vehicle upwards of 12,000 ft.  You won't be setting any speed records going through the passes, so just hang in the right or middle lane, watch your water temps.  Zero issues or concerns.  

Denver premium fuel is only 91 octane.  Don't need higher octane at higher altitudes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Watch the water temp and the tranny fluid. Do NOT be in a hurry going down the hill. Pump the brakes,,, use the tranny,,don't go into a 9% down hill grade over speeded. You'll do fine. Just take it EASY.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
Watch the water temp and the tranny fluid. Do NOT be in a hurry going down the hill. Pump the brakes,,, use the tranny,,don't go into a 9% down hill grade over speeded. You'll do fine. Just take it EASY.
View Quote

We take our time. Usually hang in the right lane between 60 and 65mph, even on flat highway. Don't plan on getting in a rush, especially with the kids in the back seat. Seen too many videos of overweight towing and towing too fast.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:41:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FOX_OSCAR_hook] [#5]
I towed a 21' travel trailer to Yellowstone through WY with a Chevy Z71 with a 5.3, went above 10K a few times. Seemed a little underpowered at times but it managed it just fine
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FOX_OSCAR_hook] [#6]
Double tap
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpn_Ron] [#7]
Originally Posted By PKT1106:

We take our time. Usually hang in the right lane between 60 and 65mph, even on flat highway. Don't plan on getting in a rush, especially with the kids in the back seat. Seen too many videos of overweight towing and towing too fast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PKT1106:
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:

Forgive me if this seems overbearing, but also consider pulling off on scenic overlooks if available and let your brakes cool if you're unsure about how they're doing. If you're asking about towing at elevation you may not be prepared for how quickly your brakes can get too hot and stop working. Like ACE said, pump brakes, meaning push the brakes firmly(not floored) to drop your speed below your target speed, keep your transmission in a lower gear for engine braking, and let your brakes cool off as much as possible between applications.

Your trailer weight is low enough compared to your rating, you should be fine. Keep the transmission in a gear that keeps the torque converter locked up to keep transmission temps low when climbing and let it rev. Depending on the road 60-65mph is pretty fast for downhill, I'd watch the truck speed limits for a general guideline of what your target speed should be.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Cpn_Ron:

Forgive me if this seems overbearing, but also consider pulling off on scenic overlooks if available and let your brakes cool if you're unsure about how they're doing. If you're asking about towing at elevation you may not be prepared for how quickly your brakes can get too hot and stop working. Like ACE said, pump brakes, meaning push the brakes firmly(not floored) to drop your speed below your target speed, keep your transmission in a lower gear for engine braking, and let your brakes cool off as much as possible between applications.

Your trailer weight is low enough compared to your rating, you should be fine. Keep the transmission in a gear that keeps the torque converter locked up to keep transmission temps low when climbing and let it rev. Depending on the road 60-65mph is pretty fast for downhill, I'd watch the truck speed limits for a general guideline of what your target speed should be.  
View Quote

Yes, downhill I will make sure we keep a safe speed and not too harsh on the brakes. The 8 speed transmission seems to do a good job of slowing us down on previous trips. I've noticed its help a few times before going through WV, Va and NC on the way to Myrtle Beach.

Some friends of ours used a Subaru Ascent with a 17ft Coleman camper last year and he is not as detail-oriented as I am. They made it and he said the vehicle didn't give them any concern. The Subaru is rated for 500/5000# and it is a 2.4L Turbo-Charged Boxer engine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 2:04:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: intheburbs] [#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Makes me feel better when you're at 92% of your tow capacity and doing OK. We'll be right around 60% tow capacity.

Im going for an oil change a week or so before we leave and the truck only has 13k miles on it.
Top Top