BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2022 4:41:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You're in the same predicament I am. I don't have the truck to pull a toy hauler 5th wheel, and have not only a quad, but a dirt bike to put in the bed of the truck as well. I have a rack on the back, not pictured that we carry our generator(s) and portable black water tank on. We primarily dry camp, and rarely stay anywhere with hookups.

I think when the used car market slows down we'll get a dually, pay it off, then get a 5th wheel. I think when we do finally upgrade, it'll be a 5th wheel toy hauler. It just doesn't make sense financially to buy anything new or used at this time, unless you can find a smokin' deal somewhere.

Our current setup.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an anderson flip hitch for a gooseneck, but instead drop in a bnw companion 5th wheel hitch.  Stays in the bed mostly, but doesnt have to.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My rig is 43 feet.  Currently working on getting the spare wheel mouned beneath.  That frees up the front power area for my genny inverters, inside.

Couldnt decide, and was tempted to mount on rear.   I am always on hookups now, but want to get setup for dry camping.  

Ill need to reinforce the bumper for extra weight in the rear. Dream, would be a motorcycle carrier, attached to the frame behind bumper.  Seen somenrigs with small sxss mounted that way.

A thought.  Fifth wheel, towing would be more secure, especially when getting parked and having to maybe 4x a little.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Flagstaff 32’ bumper pull, doing over a 5’er for sure.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m pulling a 37’ fifth wheel. The living space inside is great and feels like a home away from home. It tows great. Only issue I have is height. I’m about 13’-3” tall, so when I’m not on the interstates I get concerned about clearance and width. The fifth wheel tracks inside of hard turns. I do use an rv specific gps which has come in handy multiple times. Other than the size I love my fifth wheel.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I’d add that this is my first camper. I researched and saved for a couple years before I made my purchase. The one line that stuck out to me was “buy your third rv first” so I went big.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the payload on your truck and what is the pin weight on both?
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Stick a frame mounted receiver hitch on the 5th wheel and pull your atv/trailer.
Unless you live in a commie state like Oregon that doesn't allow double pulls.
I pull a 27' bumper pull with a 13' atv trailer and RZR no problem.  My cummins doesn't even know it's back there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep what you have, pay it off, learn to live w/ what you have.

Winter is coming.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looking to possibly change our camper.

Pic of current setup:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/165887/KIMG0760_JPG-2061117.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/165887/KIMG0747_JPG-2038054.jpg

The setup we are looking at is available (39' in 5thW package) in either a 5th wheel or bumper pull. The 5th wheel will obviously pull a LOT better (and the truck has the 5th wheel prep package), but then I lose the ability to load up the box with the ATV and other crap. I don't have enough truck for a 5thW big toy hauler (have the 6.2 gasser, but have the 10spd trans), and the toy haulers don't have the setup we need. I always said I'd never buy another bumper pull, but then I like the ability to bring the ATV.

Grrr.

Input?
View Quote

What you load up in the bed counts towards your GWVR and can help overload you.

A 39 ft 5er doesn’t have the extra 2 ft of tongue you need to fit into a parking space.

Hooking up a 5er can be done by yourself much easier than a bumper pull even with a back up camera.

The layout of a 5r is typically better than a bumper pull from what I’ve personally seen.

Storage in the 5r could be better for you than a bumper pull.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep what you have.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I've seen racks that put the atv on top of the cab so you can pull a 5th wheel.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We would have to make heavy mods and kill the resale value.  The layout just isn't working anymore for our disabled son.
View Quote

Ahhh.  Fair nuff.

ETA:  Toy Hauler?  Nice ramp in back.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#19]
How much are you getting for your current trailer?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#20]
You may not want to do it, but with a fifth wheel you could pull a small trailer behind it to put your toys on.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I want to upgrade to something that size in a few years. I'll probably go fifth wheel.

Should have my new F250 in a week or so, so I'll have the option of going fifth wheel next time.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I have had bumper pull travel trailers and now have 5th wheel. The 5th wheel tows far better than any of the bumper pulls by far. But it does suck to lose the bed space.

I have a short bed with auto sliding 5th wheel and it leaves very little room for any cargo.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Winter is coming.
View Quote

He’s right you know

That’s why I passed on buying new 450, and kept my old one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I’d be worried a bit about the weight of a toy hauler with your truck.  It’s nice, but the 6.2 may limit you some.

Do they make ultra light toy haulers?

ETA: when you have a TH you don’t have to worry about bed space.  You’ve got that garage behind you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I’d rather have a diesel and/or dully for a 5th wheel, and I’d have to be camping as such where I’m mostly at RV parks, going for long periods and need the space, etc. 30ft bumper pull is enough for my needs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Fifth is the only way to go.  Way better ride, more room, easier to park.

Get one with the living room up top.  You won’t regret it
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fifth is the only way to go.  Way better ride, more room, easier to park.

Get one with the living room up top.  You won’t regret it
View Quote

Rear living room is best to me

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#30]
OP,,,Make a written "mission profile" for your RV needs over the next several years. You may be surprised at what RV will best suit you. We had everything from tents to huge fifth wheels and found that a 32' MH pulling a GMC Canyon with a small 12' trailer behind THAT with our CanAm worked incredibly well for us. I have been and am still surprised with how functional our setup is. Sometime we are MH only for short trips. Sometimes we are MH and towed truck only. Sometimes we haul everything everywhere we go. My point is to look years ahead when your dropping so much cash/debt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#31]

I like that layout too.

I could never wrap my head around coaches/trailers that have the tv to the right or left of the couches/dinette and facing the sink.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I like that layout too.

I could never wrap my head around coaches/trailers that have the tv to the right or left of the couches/dinette and facing the sink.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like that layout too.

Yep, tv is in elevator in front of the recliners. 2021 Solitude 310GKR
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I lived in my B for years and never had a tv.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 3:45:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Run the numbers for your truck before you buy a fifth wheel.   A 3/4 ton will not pull all fifth wheels.   In fact anything over about 38 ft will needed a dually.  
I had a 3/4 ton and the numbers just were not right so I had to go to 1 ton.  Air bags do not add additional weight.
A long box will give you room in your bend and will eliminate a slider hitch.I have an anderson ultimate hitch and it works fine for us.  and it is easily removable.
WE ended up with this set up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Winter is coming.
View Quote

Very true, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Having owned both, I wouldn't go back to a bumper pull. The fifth wheel handles better, turns better and the full length of the rig is living space instead of having the tongue. Having said that I do miss being able to use the truck bed when my hitch is in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top