Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2021 9:50:43 PM EDT
I have a Stihl FS-130 and I hate it.  I don't use it very often and so this cantankerous SOB can be counted on to not start when I do want to use it.  After yet another session today where I spent my whole afternoon trying to troubleshoot the stupid thing rather than actually getting the woody brush cleared I would like to know if there are any lithium based models that can handle running the tri-blade style ends rather than string?  My place gets lots of little post oaks trying to grow each year that I have to beat back in the early summer and string will not handle it.  Even better if it can use a saw blade too but not really required.  

Best possible would be using either Ryobi or Milwaukie M18 batteries but I'd live with something separate if it can get the job done.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested also, but I will say Echo makes a pretty good weed eater that generally are pretty easy to start.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no experience with battery powered trimmers, but as far as gas burners, all I will say is find one of the larger Echos and don’t look back.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The dewalt 60v is awesome. I cut down weeds 2ft tall like nothing. On really thick tall stuff the battery only lasts about 30-40min, which is the only downside to having just 1 battery. Typical maintenance stuff should get you over an hour easy.

Besides the battery life, the guard is small and lets grass fly all over, and the string head is junk, but easy to replace with the husqvarna t35 which is way better.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Tired of 2-cycle?  Then it must be time to go to 4-cycle.  

My Honda 4-stroke sat for over a year.  I used it yesterday.  Started on the second pull.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The Milwaukee M18 string trimmer is awesome, but you aren't going to be putting on heavy blades.

My fs131 has been rock solid over the last three years.  Hardly ever drain it.  Use it once a month to every three months.  Maybe get a new carb?  Not sure about parts for it, Stihl sucks for chainsaw parts availability, but I've gotten a few bits online for the trimmer.

Look into the true yard tool lines like ego, I know they at least claim you can use brush blades.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a Stihl FS-130 and I hate it.  I don't use it very often and so this cantankerous SOB can be counted on to not start when I do want to use it.  After yet another session today where I spent my whole afternoon trying to troubleshoot the stupid thing rather than actually getting the woody brush cleared I would like to know if there are any lithium based models that can handle running the tri-blade style ends rather than string?  My place gets lots of little post oaks trying to grow each year that I have to beat back in the early summer and string will not handle it.  Even better if it can use a saw blade too but not really required.  

Best possible would be using either Ryobi or Milwaukie M18 batteries but I'd live with something separate if it can get the job done.
View Quote

Almost positive the 130 is a 4mix machine which means they need a bit more maintenance to keep them running/starting properly.

Have you adjusted the throttle cable and valves?  

Do you leave gas in it?  If the gas is over 6 months old, dump it out, replace with new non-e mixed gas, pump the bulb a bunch to circulate the fuel through the lines.  If this doesn't work, either the carb needs to be cleaned OR the cable/valves need to be adjusted.  Assuming all the easy stuff is taken care of, like spark and compression.  

Had a customer last month that had a Stihl pole (same 4mix engine) saw that refused to start and he was ready to throw it in the trash.  The cable was stretched on it...adjusted the cable and it was a 1 pull start.  2 minutes and a t27 screw driver.  

EDIT: OR you can just send it to me, I'll pay for shipping :D
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
As posted in another thread.... go with the big 4 stroke Honda. Best choice for knocking down the heavy stuff.

The "maintenance" is pretty easy since you just tip it to drain the oil and refill.

Honda says to dribble oil in the cylinder and turn it over before storage, and drain fuel and purge what's in the carb with the bubble. I did that and it started on the first pull after adding fuel this spring.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the suggestions and maintenance ideas.  I'd like not to give up on it but man it’s frustrating.  It started and ran badly for one tank it was later in the day it refused to start again.

Would like an electric option as a backup.  Taking it apart it looks like it could do with some love.  The environment out there isn’t awesome so that might be part of it.

ETA: Fuel is aways corn syrup free.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tired of 2-cycle?  Then it must be time to go to 4-cycle.  

My Honda 4-stroke sat for over a year.  I used it yesterday.  Started on the second pull.
View Quote

I have been using Tru-Fuel for two years now and has changed my thoughts on pre-mix/2 cycle.....this stuff is great, 2nd pull starts on all of my Red-Max tools.

I thought even the 4 cycle trimmers needed a premix?
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I thought even the 4 cycle trimmers needed a premix?
View Quote

My Sthil does.  OP, how much fuel do you go through a year?  If it's a small amount, I'd buy the premix.  That won't necessarily fix your specific issue today, but it does mostly take one variable out of the equation.  Between my trimmer, blower and saws, I go through too much fuel to go the premix route, but at the end of the season I do run out all the fuel, then put a splash of premix in and start it.  I'm not saying that it's a cure all, but my carb related issues have dropped to near zero since my mechanic suggested that I do so.  

Back to your original question, I know a few folks with the Milwaukee trimmers, but they are using them for light duty stuff.  I don't know anyone cutting brush with a battery trimmer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a Kobalt 80 volt string trimmer that handles pretty dense weeds.

It has the industry-standard accessory attachment format, so you can also use it with pole chainsaws, brush cutters, etc. made by other manufacturers.

I use it with a MTD brush cutter attachment to remove bamboo - Makes short work of anything up to an inch in diameter.

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a DR push weed string trimmer. Works great. I have the smallest/lightest one they make,
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#14]
If you do go with the battery option , get an extra battery.

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I too have a Kobalt 80v after getting sick of fighting gas trimmers. It's pretty freaking awesome and I'll likely never go back to a gas trimmer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Heck, by the time my riding mower is ragged out, I'll probably be giving serious thought to a batter powered zero turn.  The ones I've seen aren't exactly commercial grade, but I've reduced what I have to mow with my rider by about 5 acres of rough ground to a smoothish small yard.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I don’t know about lithium power but my 4 cycle Ryobie started and ran great every time.  I will get another one.  I screwed it up using my limb saw attachment and not considering what the angle was doing to the oil in the crank case.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

That looks pretty awesome!
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My Sthil does.  OP, how much fuel do you go through a year?  If it's a small amount, I'd buy the premix.  That won't necessarily fix your specific issue today, but it does mostly take one variable out of the equation.  Between my trimmer, blower and saws, I go through too much fuel to go the premix route, but at the end of the season I do run out all the fuel, then put a splash of premix in and start it.  I'm not saying that it's a cure all, but my carb related issues have dropped to near zero since my mechanic suggested that I do so.  

Back to your original question, I know a few folks with the Milwaukee trimmers, but they are using them for light duty stuff.  I don't know anyone cutting brush with a battery trimmer.
View Quote

Very little.  A couple gallons.  I have a 36 acre place and a small cabin and campsite on top of a hill.  It's the campsite I use it on mostly to keep the little woody weeds from filling in so thick.  It sometimes gets asked to chop through a 1" sapling using the tri-blade and with the saw blade can take down even bigger stuff.  I love the power but it's just not something I can fawn over since when I'm down there I always have more on the to-do list than I can get done.  My generators and chainsaws all are pretty robust and start without any fuss, but this sucker has always been a PITA.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you do go with the battery option , get an extra battery.

View Quote

And high voltage. I’ve got a 20v and my father has a 40v. I use gas 100% of the time. I have a low opinion of battery operated weed trimmers. Notice I said weeds, which ours are mean and tough.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If it can take standard attachments, that's great!  I tried putting a Husky trimmer head on my Milwaukee M18 trimmer, and no-go.  I like keeping extra heads around, and really prefer the T35.  Kinda a bummer, but then again, I don't use the electric one for long or heavy use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top