Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2020 3:17:07 PM EDT
I suppose I don't really need "Tier 1".  I'm going to a new hunting camp this year with a friend and I'll need a sleeping bag to put over the bunks already there.  Heat is from a wood stove but I'm told the stove is too small for the camp and it gets cold early morning so a good bag is needed unless someone gets up throughout the night to add wood.  It's been a while since I had or shopped for a sleeping bags, so whats out there for good ones?
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a big fan of all my snugpak gear.  Worth a look.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Snugpak all things
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Wiggys
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a Valandre Shocking Blue, long.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/valandre-men-s-shocking-blue-800-sleeping-bag_10197223

If you're over 6ft tall get a long.

Nothing worse than a sleeping bag that doesn't cover all the way up past your shoulders.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
There are many good brands for sleeping bags so just find the features and temp range you want. All I will add is do not go cheap on a sleeping bag or tent. These 2 items can literally save your life if you spend much time outdoors. Ask me how I know.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Backpacking or carrying it any length of distance - Western Mountaineering.  Car camping - Wiggys.  You can get a great deal on them off of ebay.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Backpacking or carrying it any length of distance - Western Mountaineering.  Car camping - Wiggys.  You can get a great deal on them off of ebay.
View Quote

I agree with this. I really love my Western Mountaineering bag.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are incredible.  Esp when overfilled!
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wiggys
View Quote
+2
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
+2
View Quote
Yep. When the guys from Alaska recommend them, you know it's legit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:17:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been a pretty avid backpacker most my life. Been through many sleeping bags over the last 20 years or so and I tend to buy a new one every year or other year. You also need more than one depending on the seasons you sleep in. Most the brands here mentioned are pretty good. You can add Marmot, Big Agnes, Kelty, North Face, etc. Snagpacks are great too. Last ones I got were some REI house brands and I liked them so much for the price that I've been buying their stuff for the past two years straight.

ETA: Since it sounds like you are sleeping in a cabin on a cot or something, I would find what's warm and comfortable. Most the stuff I've bought is also lightweight but the inside is cold nylon unless I use a liner. The lightweight stuff also comes with a more expensive price tag that you may not need. So with that said, you might be able to find a really nice flannel-lined bag. Wife and I have a couple of Kelty bags that zip together to form a queen. We keep them in our trailer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:28:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Eberlestock is selling some rebranded European bags that look sweet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Wiggys are great. I use one from a previous deployment, incredibly warm.

They’re bulky even in a compression sack though.

If you’re looking for something more compact take a look at Nemo.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Teton - you’re welcome
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yep. When the guys from Alaska recommend them, you know it's legit.
View Quote

Meh... I prefer down.  Wiggy's are good but heavy and bulky.  The MH Lamina's are good and the choice of NOLS for their expeditions.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been a pretty avid backpacker most my life.
You can add Marmot, Big Agnes, Kelty, North Face, etc.
View Quote

Westerns are great but the bags listed above plus Mountain Hardware work real well. I have a sub 3# 15° MH bag with Dry Down. I got it pretty wet one night while only having a tarp and finished a 7 day trip without any discomfort. Can't beat that.

Also: My Marmot 0° bag was losing loft. I called Marmot to ask about what model I should replace it with. The Rep insisted I send it back and they replaced the down under warranty.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 2:52:45 AM EDT
[#17]
If weight is not an issue.. and you are on a cot.  A... make sure you have some sort of insualtion between you and the cot.. IE closed cell foam or insulated self inflating type.. a plain air mattress is not insulation.  B... Get a nice big ol 10, 0, -10... bag... whatever temp range you think you are gonna be in.

0°F
https://www.coleman.com/sleeping-bags/big-game-0f-cold-weather-big-and-tall-sleeping-bag/col_2000032181_pr/COL_2000032181

-35°F
https://tetonsports.com/product/deer-hunter-35%cb%9af-sleeping-bag/

-25°F
https://tetonsports.com/product/celsius-xl-32c-25f-sleeping-bag/

The wife and I have a teton 0F double bag.. its done awesome into the 20's.. have not taken it below that yet.

For mummies.. all the above posts are good.

I personally love Montbell Down Hugger bags... but you pay for them as well.
I have an earlier model of this one.. they flex with you if you move a lot in your sleep like I do. https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=14001&p_id=1121358
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 3:00:43 AM EDT
[#18]
most sleeping bag sold at walmart will do, indoors, camp stove, no backpacking, no need for light weight materials. Coleman Dunnock Cold Weather are big, heavy, warm and comfortable. they are less than 75.00, I used one in a tent with buddy heater. In cold, damp weather of cascade mountains during elk season.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I suppose I don't really need "Tier 1".  I'm going to a new hunting camp this year with a friend and I'll need a sleeping bag to put over the bunks already there.  Heat is from a wood stove but I'm told the stove is too small for the camp and it gets cold early morning so a good bag is needed unless someone gets up throughout the night to add wood.  It's been a while since I had or shopped for a sleeping bags, so whats out there for good ones?
View Quote

I have -20

I think someone mentioned overquilt also... Just received a 0° over quilt for my hammock... REI has many good priced brands... If you can buy once, cry once, you'll be better off at staying warm....
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Western Mountaineering.

30F, 20F, -20F...

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are not backpacking or hiking a long ways, Wiggy's makes excellent cold weather sleeping bags.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Snugpak all things
View Quote

I'm 6'2", 230#, I don't remember my coat size, but I wear an XL.  I used a Snugpak jungle bag last weekend and when I zipped it up, I couldn't move.  Are their other bags bigger?
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm 6'2", 230#, I don't remember my coat size, but I wear an XL.  I used a Snugpak jungle bag last weekend and when I zipped it up, I couldn't move.  Are their other bags bigger?
View Quote

Big agnes
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Big agnes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big agnes

0° Big Agnes, 78 in

Alot of companies make the length you need, just find you price...

@trails-end
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a 6’6” 0F NEMO Sonic and it wasn’t tight when I was 280. I’m 5’11” but the extra length gave me room for clothes, boots, and a water bottle. The bag has zippered “gills” on top for ventilation. I don’t know if it’s tier 1, maybe tier 1.5 with non-hydrophobic duck down instead of goose.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Wiggy’s is supposed to be the bomb. I just got a couple woobies that are Wiggy’s and they are solidly built. Or mil surplus.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I still use my 3-piece from the military.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a huge amount of experience sleeping in -10, -20 and -30 below zero temps.

Never spent the money on name brand sleeping bags and slept like a baby on moms tits.

Every time the guys that said they were cold and didn't sleep well were the ones that couldn't
leave their bags and piss in the middle of the night.

Doesn't matter what bag you are in if you can't buck up and leave your little cocoon and
relieve yourself and then sleep for the rest of the night.

Never fails with rookies that have the same complaint.

It is not fun to leave that warmth and go piss but it beats trying to keep a quart of urine at
98.6 with the rest of your body.

As far as bags go you pay for good zippers, stitching, fluff and compactibility while keeping fluff.

For most users fluff does what you need without the expense.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#29]
In a hunting camp or environment that is wet and dirty, definitely synthetic.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I got a feathered friends bag for Denali.

That’s truly tier 1 stuff but you pay thru the nose for it.

My wife uses a western mountaineering bag when we go mountaineering or climbing, I’ve been impressed with it.

I use a kifaru slick bag for work and fucking around (army, cause fuck the 3 bag 12 pound system)

For car camping we use a big Agnes double bag.

ETA for a hunting cabin, especially if you drive up to it, just get a giant, heavy, flannel lined bag and enjoy it. Absolutely no reason for a “tier 1” ultralight mummy bag
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Enlightened equipment
UGQ
nemo
Zpack

Typical US cottage made ultra lite dry down bags, most sub 2lbs 20F
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Wiggy's! Wiggy's! Wiggy's!

I have been using Wiggy's since fall of 1997. It is true that they are a little bulky compared to some bags, but to me they are well worth it. I also use a Kelty stuff bag and it helps with the bag being more compact.  What you will get with a Wiggy's bag is a 1000% satisfaction guarantee. After nearly 20 years of owning my bag I got cold feet in it while backpacking with my sons scout troop. I had never experienced that with the bag. Not sure if it was the 20 year old bag or the over 40 year old me, I contacted Wiggy's. (The owner answered the phone and has every time I have called since 1997.) He told me to send it back and they would look at it. He then contacted me and stated that there was nothing wrong with the bag, but that he would send me a new one. I received a brand new bag a few days later.

It is an exceptional product with exceptional customer service.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Teton - you’re welcome
View Quote

This.... If your not backpacking, get a two person bag...
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I got a feathered friends bag for Denali.

That’s truly tier 1 stuff but you pay thru the nose for it.

My wife uses a western mountaineering bag when we go mountaineering or climbing, I’ve been impressed with it.

I use a kifaru slick bag for work and fucking around (army, cause fuck the 3 bag 12 pound system)

For car camping we use a big Agnes double bag.

ETA for a hunting cabin, especially if you drive up to it, just get a giant, heavy, flannel lined bag and enjoy it. Absolutely no reason for a “tier 1” ultralight mummy bag
View Quote

I will second everything stated above
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I use a UBQ 20F quilt, with a insulted pad is nice an ultra lite (quilt 22ounces, pad 10 ounces)an toasty..
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 4:13:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I just used a cheap old Montgomery Wards sleeping bag when at deer camp in the UP.

I have the Military MSS in my vehicle though
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I’m guessing you’re driving in to a cabin or wall tent, so go with Wiggys. They’re cheap as shit on eBay and the rectangular Hunter bags I have are big enough to roll around a good bit.

Western Mountaineering is the gold standard but I am a poor, so I use a Marmot 0 degree down bag with my HPG Mountain Serape as an over bag if needed. I added loops to the edge of my Serape so I can run the elastic straps from my 20deg EE quilt under it if needed, too. Haven’t tested that to see if the Down compresses too much, but it all fits.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I still use my 3-piece from the military.
View Quote

This, but I rarely pack all 3 at the same time.  Its either bivy and summer bag, or bivy and winter bag.  Either way, always the bivy and a poncho or tarp in western WA.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I camped one time in a Big Agnes 30 degree bag in 30 degrees and froze my ass so hard that I almost thought I was going to die.

Went and bought a Nemo 15 degree bag and it did the trick in 30 degrees.  The cool thing about the Nemo is even though it is a 'mummy' its big enough to move around in and I think that extra room lets you trap more of your own body heat in it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:04:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I camped one time in a Big Agnes 30 degree bag in 30 degrees and froze my ass so hard that I almost thought I was going to die.

Went and bought a Nemo 15 degree bag and it did the trick in 30 degrees.  The cool thing about the Nemo is even though it is a 'mummy' its big enough to move around in and I think that extra room lets you trap more of your own body heat in it.
View Quote

Don't underestimate one of those Mylar sleeping bag covers, weighs 4oz,  it certainly helps if the cold snap overwhelms your bag rating.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:25:39 AM EDT
[#41]
For quilts I have Enlightend Equipment and UGQ all four were worth the wait and money.

For backpacking in a tent I have a 30 degree synthetic REI and a Down 15 degree REI though I am fat and taller and it's a tight bag on me.

For winter I run a 0F marmot or a liner and my -5 quilt. This has kept me warm to around -10.

For anything I drive to the heaviest biggest rectangle I can find for cheap.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I stopped getting notifications on this thread and kind of forgot about it.  I ended up picking up an army sleep system bag from the local Army surplus store.  Worked well, however I found it too small to sleep "in" so I ended up unzipping it and using it like more of a blanket.  It didn't get as cold as was forecast and the wood stove worked better than expected.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I stopped getting notifications on this thread and kind of forgot about it.  I ended up picking up an army sleep system bag from the local Army surplus store.  Worked well, however I found it too small to sleep "in" so I ended up unzipping it and using it like more of a blanket.  It didn't get as cold as was forecast and the wood stove worked better than expected.  
View Quote

Are you a tall guy? The military has a version of their MSS for tall guys that has their own NSNs, but they're next to impossible to get on the surplus market unless you're extremely lucky
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Are you a tall guy? The military has a version of their MSS for tall guys that has their own NSNs, but they're next to impossible to get on the surplus market unless you're extremely lucky
View Quote

No, I'm only about 5'9.  It was more of a moving around, width thing.  I tend to roll and turn and the bag...resisted. lol  The camp also has power which I didn't know.  I'll probably just buy one of the thicker twin sized air mattresses and bring regular sheets next year.  I know I sleep well on those, I went through a few of them while working on the road.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Love me WM bag.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Partial thread hijack, can anyone answer this question.

If I have an intermediate cold sleeping bag (NSN 8465-01-547-2694) which patrol bag does it go with?  Looks to be NSN 8465-01-547-2706 but I want to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Tier 1?

Down-

Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering. Both are excellent quality and warmth.

Synthetic-

Wiggy's. Tough as hell and warm. They have a closeout sale on some bags in discontinued camo colors right now.  

End of list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top