Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2022 9:36:31 AM EDT
I've seen this mentioned here.

It looks like a pretty decent deal if you are going to be spending a significant amount of time on the coasts and in the south. It's like ~$1000 for all the zones.

What's the good, bad and ugly about TT?  Are there any other groups to join that are a great idea for full timing for a couple of months?

We're looking at spending a few months on the road and we're trying to learn the ways of reasonably inexpensive places to stay. We aren't opposed to boondocking here and there but we're new to the TT game so we're not going to try to rely on that for now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:24:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Are there any other groups to join that are a great idea for full timing for a couple of months?
View Quote

Back when I was full-timing, I got a lot of use out of my membership in the Escapees RV Club.

They are particularly oriented towards full-timing (the club was founded by a couple who supported themselves with local work while full-timing) - Very friendly and outgoing.

Their membership also includes a lot of boondockers - and most of their parks have a section for boondocking.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried to like TT but just couldn't. In my experience you're going to have to be flexible and willing to move a lot to get your money back on it. Some of their locations can be shitholes (as in a concrete parking lot with barely enough room to walk between the slides of you and your neighbor).

Good Sam pays for itself pretty quickly in you camp a few places that discount for being a member.

Everyone likes to bitch about KOAs but for traveling across country the Journey's are hard to beat. Reasonably priced, usually clean, close to interstates, playgrounds for kids, and a dog park/walk. If you travel a lot its easy to start racking up points for free nights.

I'm a member of Travel Resorts of America and I don't really have any complaints with it for what it is. The initial cost is high and sometimes booking is a pain in the ass. The locations work out for us and we can stay pretty much indefinitely at them if we plan hard enough.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I had TT membership. It was not bad when I joined.
It had a fixed price. No increases ever. Well that was true enough, but they kept adding supplementary charges for maintenance (wich was supposed to be included), electricity, etc. etc. The "extras" became more than the annual fee.
Then they sold it. It has passed through a series of owners, each worse than the previous one.
The site we used to like going to changed significantly. They started building huts on it and renting them out to anyone - not just members.
Then they allowed people to pay a chunk of money and "own" a particular site for a year or more - so all the nice spots suddenly had chains across - empty, of course.
For us plebeian ordinary, old-time members, only the less favorable spots were available year round.

There are rumors that in many cases, they are working at getting zoning changed to shut down the camps and build sub-devisions on the property.

I terminated my membership, and didn't even try to "sell" it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a used TT membership after having a zone pass for several years. If you are looking for budget non fancy camping I think it is well worth it. Manage your expectations about what it is. It isn’t fancy or premium. I get my $ out of it quite easily. I have only stayed in TT parks in WA, OR, CA, and TX so I can’t say how good or bad other states may be.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
OP....

I would  take a look at using an "America the beautiful" pass available from US  Forest service at the local offices, or online.

Normally around $80, they are free to veterans.

This allows camping in National forest and blm lands, free entry to national parks, etc.

It would be a good way to travel and camp along a route where you may not have access to developed RV parks.

And then visit national parks like The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc. for free.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OP....

I would  take a look at using an "America the beautiful" pass available from US  Forest service at the local offices, or online.

Normally around $80, they are free to veterans.

This allows camping in National forest and blm lands, free entry to national parks, etc.

It would be a good way to travel and camp along a route where you may not have access to developed RV parks.

And then visit national parks like The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc. for free.
View Quote

That's a good idea.  I didn't think about that because I thought all the campgrounds were always booked out years in advance.  I didn't think about using it for boondocking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top