Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2023 1:50:29 PM EDT
Took the General exam this morning and passed it. Just want to encourage anyone thinking about getting licensed to go ahead and do it. I tested and passed Technician in February and honestly I did better on the General than the Technician but I practiced more as well. Anyway getting licensed was a bucket list thing for me and I just wanted to say if I can do it anyone can. Also thanks to all the help you ARF hams have given me to this point t with newbie questions.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Strong work!

I am a big pusher of telling people to test for Tech, and General the same session.

Its really not all that much harder.

EXTRA is a different animal, and I want people to get their feet wet first. Cant really do that till you work the General bands for a bit.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I likely will test for Extra at some point. They offered to let me test me for General when I took the Technician and looking back now I would have but I like to prepare, it's just habit, routine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Good work!
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats!

Happy to have more folks on HF for sure.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations! Now start on your Extra while you're in study mode.

What kind of HF setup are you planning? We'll be more than happy to help you spend your money.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats!!  Welcome to the General club.  Your hat and badge will arrive soon.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#9]
go for extra straight away... it will be easier
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats!!  Welcome to the General club.  Your hat and badge will arrive soon.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Congrats!

Yea I did better on General than Tech too.  My dumbness was taking my time on the Tech exam and going back and reviewing my answers.  What I did is overthink it and changed 4 right answers to wrong ones!

I passed Tech without a lot of freeboard remaining.  Then at that session took the General and scarcely reviewed the questions so I didn’t do the same dumbness.  Thankfully the grader told me that my changed answers were from right to wrong on the first test.

I also raced through the Tech study book and started on the general because the club had an impromptu test session thrown together for a couple members that wanted to upgrade to Extra.   I think I had about 13 days notice and I was just two or three chapters into the Tech study book.

If it hasn’t been said yet, if you are planning on Extra, do it soon after General while the knowledge is fresh!  Don’t let it fade!
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Like you I did pretty bad on my tech, I barely passed at either 27 or 28/35 back in September of '21. Got a fair bit of experience and studied more for the General.

General I slammed home at 32 or 33/35, partially pushed by the changing pool this year.

Then promptly got a 25/50 on the Extra at the same sitting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Took the General exam this morning and passed it. Just want to encourage anyone thinking about getting licensed to go ahead and do it. I tested and passed Technician in February and honestly I did better on the General than the Technician but I practiced more as well. Anyway getting licensed was a bucket list thing for me and I just wanted to say if I can do it anyone can. Also thanks to all the help you ARF hams have given me to this point t with newbie questions.
View Quote

Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Like you I did pretty bad on my tech, I barely passed at either 27 or 28/35 back in September of '21. Got a fair bit of experience and studied more for the General.

General I slammed home at 32 or 33/35, partially pushed by the changing pool this year.

View Quote
Yes the General test question pool changing definitely got me motivated to get the study and testing behind me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:51:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Tech was easy.  
General is, imo, the hardest of all 3.  Did mine like 15 years ago though.
Extra was pretty easy for me.

I still never use those HF privileges

Congrats though!  Moving up in the ranks!
And just in time for Field Day coming up in about a month!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Congratulations from me as well!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Iirc I got 26 on Extra in the same session as my first two tests.  I hadn’t studied one iota for it as there hadn’t been time.  Our club trainer strongly encouraged me to take it, pass it with luck or simply get a look at it.  Nothing to lose but a little time.   I was pleased to get half the test right.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Congratulations.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I did my first extra practice test yesterday.  I was able to pass most of the wordy topics from the few passes of rote memorization I had done, but big holes were found in the math and components topics that just don't work that way.  It took me 15-20min just to figure out how to operate the dusty 10+ year old scientific calculator that I must have bought for one of my kids for high school.  It was amusing to dig through the cobwebs of algebra gymnastics, inverse trig, complex numbers, polar form, large exponents, formulas for resonance, reactance, phase angle, Q, power factor.  Reminded me of school many decades ago. Well worth the time to understand.  I crushed one of the failing section tests afterwards with 100%. Will be Extra by June!
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#23]

I am Extra now!
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I did my first extra practice test yesterday.  I was able to pass most of the wordy topics from the few passes of rote memorization I had done, but big holes were found in the math and components topics that just don't work that way.  It took me 15-20min just to figure out how to operate the dusty 10+ year old scientific calculator that I must have bought for one of my kids for high school.  It was amusing to dig through the cobwebs of algebra gymnastics, inverse trig, complex numbers, polar form, large exponents, formulas for resonance, reactance, phase angle, Q, power factor.  Reminded me of school many decades ago. Well worth the time to understand.  I crushed one of the failing section tests afterwards with 100%. Will be Extra by June!
View Quote

Quoted:

I am Extra now!
View Quote

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am Extra now!
View Quote

Congratulations !
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I am Extra now!
View Quote
Awesome great job!
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am Extra now!
View Quote

well done ole man!

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I am Extra now!
View Quote

WELL DONE!
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#29]
congrats to both of you!
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#30]
You do realize it’s a license to spend a lot of money right?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Run down to Dollar Tree and get one of their 4-banger calculators that will also do square roots. That's all you need for the test.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top