Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2021 12:04:18 PM EDT
Been doing some hardcore scouting.  No need to workout, that is the workout.  Keeping 30+ pounds in the pack.  Saw a nice 5x5 bull yesterday, full velvet.   Hotter than the gates of hell up here too.   Elk sign everywhere.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Taking loppers next trip to cut a trail thru the thickest of this, it’ll get me to the game trails.  

Attachment Attached File

I have spent a fair bit of time crawling thru this stuff.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 1:09:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Just remember to go in from an off angle when you cut in. Think about a dead end that no one would enter and then go in at a 90. That way no one will likely find your trail and you don’t “disturb” the environment.

Squirrel!

We used to do that with our mountain bike trails when mountain bikes were just born. Back then we would get arrested if we were caught so we had to be stealthy. I only got caught once by a ranger. He had watched me stop for a drink and wait for some other people to move on before making my entrance. He said “I appreciate that you hid the entrance and waited so no one saw you enter.” “I don’t want anyone seeing you come out of the entrance so finish your ride but don’t let me catch you again.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol, my main access is a Mt bike trail.   You have to crawl in from there about 40 yards to reach the trail I am cutting in.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope it doesn’t run off    That’s why rifles were invented.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Ill be in SW CO for opening Archery this year.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By coregon:
Ill be in SW CO for opening Archery this year.
View Quote

Same here, good luck guys.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:53:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#6]
Originally Posted By ar_mcadams:
I hope it doesn’t run off    That’s why rifles were invented.
View Quote

That’s why I shoot the bow nightly.  When I stick that broad head right behind the shoulder he ain’t running far.

Some pics from past rifle hunts.  Some were just to easy.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This is one my friend arrowed, went 40 yards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Critical supplies were packed in yesterday and stored in the creek.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks awesome I hope I'm able to hunt this year covid has been kicking my ass
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:
Looks awesome I hope I'm able to hunt this year covid has been kicking my ass
View Quote

Man I hope you make a full recovery and can get your ass up the pass to hunt.
I just got back from the 4 day hunt.  Elk were seen and smelled but not harmed.   Rained like heck first day and night.  Really helped you move quietly, and I stayed dry in this thing.  Very light and comfy.

Attachment Attached File

A lot of stuff to pack in, just 2 miles. With a thousand feet of elevation change.  At 62, not sure how long I can do this with 55 lbs.
Attachment Attached File

Elk were not talking yet, soon.   There were a lot of these around.  Saw a 5x5 at a distance with velvet hanging off his rack.

Attachment Attached File

Thick as hell. That’s why this area is full of elk.

Attachment Attached File

Good luck all, I gotta get busy.  Leaving tomorrow for a 7 day hunt.
I’ll use the SxS to access a different area so at least minimal Mt house food.  There will be steak.
Iowa, the guy hunting with me on this leg is driving in from Keookuk, IA. Prolly butchered the spelling.  Good dude and in top physical shape.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#10]
One more for the big game crew.
This is where I’ll be tomorrow night, beautiful spot full of animals.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Good luck!
Would love to do that sometime
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Good luck!  Look forward to the pics and stories.

None of us drew tags this year so well but otc bull tags and just spend the week driving around.  

Just half assed hunting but mostly spending time together away from home.  Like out-of-state hunters.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Good luck! Heading out tomorrow on mules again, looking for deer this time.

Stay safe.

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Good luck everyone!

State screwed us on out bp tag this year. They changed rifle elk to run up to the day before the hunt. No rest period to give us a chance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Made it in, back in town for ice and rest.  Daypack is only 20#s or so, feels light after that pack in.

Right near my hoped for spot, no other camps in a mile, lots of ATV traffic but mostly window lickers.

Been seeing elk every other day, full draw on a fat cow at 20 yards but she just wouldn’t take a step to get a clear shot.  No bugles yet, still hot and dry at 10k’.

Campspot is a beaut.  Can’t believe my friend brought his truck in.  Bad road for sure, vehicle damage likely.  I packed in on the Wolverine, 9 miles from my truck.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Camp
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#17]
More.
Surf and turf dinner.  Had a steak with these.
Attachment Attached File

Blowdown.  Climb it or crawl it.
Attachment Attached File

Pack looks full, but mostly clothes stripped off in there.  T shirt weather by 1100.
Attachment Attached File

The sacrament of the roots of the hunt run deep in these boys.  Motivated for sure.   Two hammocks there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Great luck and have fun out there guys (and Sam!)

What a blessing to be able to do this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like a great time!  Good luck buddy!
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
Looks like a great time!  Good luck buddy!
View Quote

You too man!  I’m already a lucky man out chasing these beasts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#21]
That's a fact!  
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 9:21:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#23]
Back in town for a couple days.  Gotta remember bow season is a marathon, not a sprint.  Played out, but I have a few pics.

Gotta tell this one.  Rare bugling,  but I think they are ready.
I was sitting next to a great trail by a water hole Thursday afternoon.  About 1800 a racket was heard.  Limbs breaking kinda stuff.  Hit the cow call and a shootable 4x bull starts running back and forth, 20 to 60 yards.  Full draw a couple times, but  he just wouldn’t stop for a shot.   Then a weird bugle popped off just across the drainage.  Junior flew out of there, and ran to my side.

I hit my call and did a bugle back.  As god is my witness, a really nice much bigger bull came charging in. At least 5x. He skidded in at 44 yards and was silently looking for the 4x.  Now just munching on grass, fully broadside at 44 yards, head behind a tree. Perfect shot, except for a few branches.   Wind in my face, just needed a better shot.  That dude matched my every move.   I would move a few yards to get a clear shot, and he would move just behind cover.  Unreal.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I sure do enjoy your threads, thanks for sharing. I miss the Rockies; only been once, wife and I hunted mule deer for our honeymoon. I’m doing a solo trip next year.

Be careful out there, a archery hunter was just killed in the San Juan range by two muzzle loader hunters.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:09:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#25]
I heard about the bow hunter, stupid negligence on the muzzle side for sure.
Finally broke camp up there.  Been at it all month, saw a lot of elk but never closed the deal.   Those dang elk started bugling all night long all around camp under the full moon.  Great time to be there for sure, aspens are turning golden quick.
Might get a short trip back up but rest is needed bad.  Twisted an ankle couple weeks back and kept going on it since.  
Ibuprofen and rocket fuel worked well to keep me moving.

Attachment Attached File

I was into a decent bull just 700 yards from camp a couple days ago up here.
Attachment Attached File

Typical day pack with 3 liter camelback full goes 25 lbs.   game bags, knives, first aid, food, everything adds up.  Probably another
4 lbs on the chest pack.  Pistol and assorted stuff in there.  Binos were left behind usually, just not needed in heavy cover.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Finally had a decent meal last night.  By the time we rolled into camp most nights after dark usually ate some meat we precooked and warmed it on the tent stove.  Had a slug of bourbon then hit the sack.   Great times.   I’ll do this stuff as long as I can.   Being in decent shape helps a lot, being over sixty years old is only slowing me a little.
Attachment Attached File

Half these pics are not showing from the arf photo service.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ar_mcadams:
I hope it doesn't run off    That's why rifles were invented.
View Quote

Crossbow technology is insane these days.  Don't be a Fudd.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Iowa, the guy hunting with me on this leg is driving in from Keookuk, IA. Prolly butchered the spelling.  Good dude and in top physical shape.
View Quote

Keokuk is not far from me I was just through there heading to boyscout camp on the Illinois side of the river
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top