Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2019 11:01:06 AM EDT
YAESU FT-4XR is a Yaesu VHF/UHF HT for $80 at both HRO and Gigaparts (and probably elsewhere).  There's a VHF only model for $60 as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#1]
So what are the pros/cons vs Baofeng being lower priced?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I understand where you are coming from, but for $80 you could get the radio and a decent mag mount (Or a N9TAX + coax) and that will definitely outperform the Yaesu for the same price.

You also have the benefit of being able to basically find anything you'd need help on via youtube walkthrough on Baofengs. There's also the perk of very inexpensive accessories all over ebay and amazon.

I still use my baofengs for APRS and other 2m packet stuff, and those radios are 6+ years old.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]
"No reason at all"?

How about "I picked up 4 UV-82 HTs for the same $80, programmed one with chirp, and cloned them all. If one breaks, I just buy another and clone it."

It's great that Yaesu is offering a more affordable HT. But some of the veteran hams out there sound very Fudd-like regarding anything new that isn't from the Big 3.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"No reason at all"?

How about "I picked up 4 UV-82 HTs for the same $80, programmed one with chirp, and cloned them all. If one breaks, I just buy another and clone it."

It's great that Yaesu is offering a more affordable HT. But some of the veteran hams out there sound very Fudd-like regarding anything new that isn't from the Big 3.
View Quote
I am a yeasu man myself and agree wholeheartedly with your statement.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Baofengs are Chinese dogshit and technically they are VERY poor.  The FCC recently halted inportation of certain models because they don't meet FCC minimum specs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The point of the Baofeng is that an HT is what every newbie thinks they want, but in reality is the least useful radio.

The sooner they get the HT out of their system, the faster they can move on to other radios, and the more money they still have in their pocket at that point the better.

Baofengs also force many to get help to program the radio, thereby getting the radio programmed correctly more often, and working with other people (the elmer system).
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Baofengs are Chinese dogshit and technically they are VERY poor.  The FCC recently halted inportation of certain models because they don't meet FCC minimum specs.
View Quote
Wasn't that due to them being able to go places they shouldn't?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
And that's true, but find someone who was licensed in the last 5 years that didn't start with one? I want to have as many licensed people as possible to keep everything alive. Those radios have been a great thing for ham radio, moreso than any sort of abuse/interference.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think it was more due to the transmit frequency ranges combined with the ability to program from the front panel.

They're not the best but people exaggerate.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#10]
No MURS Tx capability = No care

We stay on MURS while camping and doing other outdoor activities, keeps the airwaves clean. No riff raff talking all over the place.

Wish some of these guys woke up and gave us better MURS radios that didnt cost an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m glad to see Yaesu offering great radios at an affordable price for ppl that don’t need/want all the bells and whistles. I’ve been very happy with my ft-65r. I plan to pick up another now that the price has dropped to $85.

that being said baofengs still have a place. To a younger ham with limited budget. A $25 uv-5r vs a $80 Yaesu can be a big difference when you are just testing the waters. I also like having a few baofengs hanging around to let new hams barrow to get started. If something happens to one, I’m out $25-35.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
that being said baofengs still have a place. To a younger ham with limited budget. A $25 uv-5r vs a $80 Yaesu can be a big difference when you are just testing the waters. I also like having a few baofengs hanging around to let new hams barrow to get started. If something happens to one, I’m out $25-35.
View Quote
When my son was interested in ham radio, he got a Baofeng HT AND a Baofeng mobile for Christmas.  I figured that if he didn't care for ham radio after all, I wouldn't be out much.

Since then, he's got his General and is studying for Extra now.  And, he still uses those Baofengs.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No MURS Tx capability = No care

We stay on MURS while camping and doing other outdoor activities, keeps the airwaves clean. No riff raff talking all over the place.

Wish some of these guys woke up and gave us better MURS radios that didnt cost an arm and a leg.
View Quote
Been out for a while, basically a re-certified UV-82.  They have GMRS specific versions as well and just came out with a GMRS mobile based on the UV50X2 as well.

BTECH MURSV1 HT Radio
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#14]
For $25 I can see if HAM is something I want to mess with and not feel guilty if the radio just sits or gets lost, trashed, given away, etc.

$80 changes that entirely.  That price makes me lean more towards not buying one to even give it a try.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Baofengs are like Harbor Freight tools. They are not high quality and not tough enough to daily use but they are cheap and affordable to keep as a backup radio, as a loaner or as a "throw away" radio you are not afraid to loose.
Another plus is that they can operate on MURS and GMRS channels if necessary, and yes, I know they are not type accepted for this but no one ever got penalized for this. IMHO, it's no big deal as long as a proper frequency, bandwidth and power levels are selected. I have MURS and GMRS channels programmed into my UV-82 Baofengs, just in case.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Baofeng is the King of the Chinese "rubber dogshit" HT's.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And that's true, but find someone who was licensed in the last 5 years that didn't start with one? I want to have as many licensed people as possible to keep everything alive. Those radios have been a great thing for ham radio, moreso than any sort of abuse/interference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is correct. I don’t know any hams my age or younger who don’t have a Baofeng or two. They work pretty well. The Leixen mobile I had was doodoo but I was invested enough at that point to buy a Yaesu FTM-100 and will be buying a Yaesu HF rig in a month or two.

It’s the “gateway drug” to ham radio. The radio club at my university was talking about ordering a case of UV-5Rs, and giving one to each student who passed their technician license, as a way of getting more members. Ain’t no way we’re doing that with a $80 HT...
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I didn't start with one and have yet to have ever owned a UV5R or any of it's variants.

My first was the Wouxun, from Ed in NC. $120 and since have added about 6 others in varying freq combos.

I have a handful of UV3R+ and they aren't good for anything beyond dorking with APRS, sometimes.

Sadly I now have thousand$ invested and our current life situ prevents me from even thinking about using any of it.  
It'll all change soon enough I'm sure and I'll find the time to play again.  Till then, high-dollar dust collectors :)

at least I have arfcom!
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Baofeng's are great. They don't just make the UV-5R, which is also great for what it is. They also make the likes of the BF-888S, a 2 W UHF radio that can be bought for $8 and works as well or better than any $50 midland. Everyone knows Baofeng can't compete with the big three on quality and features, but thats not why people buy them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I respect quality, but for the same price you’re talking about I got:

UV-5R+
Na771 antenna
N9tax roll up antenna
Extended battery
A few different USB charger and programming cables

The buttons may be a pain in the ass, but CHIRP is free.

Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:38:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Hmmm a $25 dollar radio from a co that wont answer emails or warranty support the radio, OR an $80 radio (or $200 or $400 depending upon model)
From a company (YAESU) who wont answer emails about getting a radio serviced warranty or otherwise, answers Facebook programming questions with  "read the f""""####*! manual!" ---but that's because they release radios with no programming cables or software to program them. Yaesu is the HK of ham radio.  I have a ton of Yaesu stuff but they SUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK! royal donkey d#&! from a customer service standpoint. I tell noobs to buy the baofeng learn how this crap works and figure out if this is for you before you dump 200-400 bucks into a radio. Theres absolutely EVERY reason to recommend a Baofeng over anything else right off the bat. Inexpensive,simple, wide knowledge base out there, tons of them out there-- in that respect the UV-5r may have saved Ham radio.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 5:13:29 AM EDT
[#22]
The UHF-only Baofengs start at around $12 - with a battery and charger.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I didn't start with one and have yet to have ever owned a UV5R or any of it's variants.

My first was the Wouxun, from Ed in NC. $120 and since have added about 6 others in varying freq combos.

I have a handful of UV3R+ and they aren't good for anything beyond dorking with APRS, sometimes.

Sadly I now have thousand$ invested and our current life situ prevents me from even thinking about using any of it.  
It'll all change soon enough I'm sure and I'll find the time to play again.  Till then, high-dollar dust collectors :)

at least I have arfcom!
View Quote
My first radio was a Baofeng... I think it was the B5, and I'd heard that the antenna was garbage (turns out that was on the R5) so I bought a Nagoya with it.  I then bought 3 more for Christmas presents the year I was licensed.  I haven't dipped back into that pool since.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Since I’m one of those “no code generals” that are ruining the hobby for everyone anyway, I might as well recommend a radio that all the old timers hate. Technology advances and electronics especially get cheaper. I have 3 HT’s, one Yaesu and 2 Beofeng. All 3 work well. I have 2 VHF/UHF mobiles. One Yaesu, One TYT. Nobody can tell which one I’m using. My HF rigs are all Yaesu, For now. I’m sure the “cheap” radios will soon have a good selection of HF radios. I for one look forward to that day. I’ve been a Tech since 1994, only got into HF in the last year. That’s because I wasn’t willing/able to spend the money for the HF gear. As gear gets cheaper more people will get involved. Which in my opinion is a very good thing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The UHF-only Baofengs start at around $12 - with a battery and charger.
View Quote
I've got a pile of those things.  Battery life is long, no issue going all day even with a regular dose of transmitting.  Great little beataround radios that you don't feel bad about hurting.  There's a few USB rechargeable battery options floating around too, I picked on up and stuck it on the BF-888 I keep in my center console.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Since I’m one of those “no code generals” that are ruining the hobby for everyone anyway, I might as well recommend a radio that all the old timers hate. Technology advances and electronics especially get cheaper. I have 3 HT’s, one Yaesu and 2 Beofeng. All 3 work well. I have 2 VHF/UHF mobiles. One Yaesu, One TYT. Nobody can tell which one I’m using. My HF rigs are all Yaesu, For now. I’m sure the “cheap” radios will soon have a good selection of HF radios. I for one look forward to that day. I’ve been a Tech since 1994, only got into HF in the last year. That’s because I wasn’t willing/able to spend the money for the HF gear. As gear gets cheaper more people will get involved. Which in my opinion is a very good thing.
View Quote
One thing I've noticed with many Baofengs and other Chinese brands, is poor audio quality when compared to a Yaesu or Icom. They often sound very dull and muffled, like if the microphone is under a pillow.

BTW, two old HTs - Realistic HTX-202 and Radio Shack HTX-404 still remain my most favorite HT radios. They have excellent, true FM transmitters (not phase modulation, like everyone else uses) and far superior receivers. The TX audio quality is mazing. These radios also have receivers with excellent front ends, impervious to intermod in big cities or high density RF environments (like hamfests). They simply work when Baofents, TYT and even many wideband RX Yaesus, Icoms and Kenwoods become useless due to intermod effects.
My dad lives close to a TV broadcast tower. Many VHF/UHF radios simply loose their ability to receive anything when he rotates the Yagi antenna in the direction of the TV tower. Guess what, an old, Radio Shack radio works just fine, like if the TV tower interference doesn't even exist.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#27]
For some Boy Scouts who don't have much pocket money, but have the discipline to study and get
licensed, the Baofeng might be a good introduction to ham radio for them.  A $30 radio they can
afford vs. an $80 radio they can't, or will have to save for for some time, well...
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

One thing I've noticed with many Baofengs and other Chinese brands, is poor audio quality when compared to a Yaesu or Icom. They often sound very dull and muffled, like if the microphone is under a pillow.

BTW, two old HTs - Realistic HTX-202 and Radio Shack HTX-404 still remain my most favorite HT radios. They have excellent, true FM transmitters (not phase modulation, like everyone else uses) and far superior receivers. The TX audio quality is mazing. These radios also have receivers with excellent front ends, impervious to intermod in big cities or high density RF environments (like hamfests). They simply work when Baofents, TYT and even many wideband RX Yaesus, Icoms and Kenwoods become useless due to intermod effects.
My dad lives close to a TV broadcast tower. Many VHF/UHF radios simply loose their ability to receive anything when he rotates the Yagi antenna in the direction of the TV tower. Guess what, an old, Radio Shack radio works just fine, like if the TV tower interference doesn't even exist.
View Quote
My first radio was an HTX-202. It lived until about 2 years ago. I believe in buying quality stuff. I’m just saying that I would have gotten into HF many years sooner had a cheaper alternative been on the market. We all acquire better stuff as your situation and mainly money allows, this usually comes with time and age. The money I gave for my first truck wouldn’t buy a set of tires for the one I drive now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My first radio was an HTX-202. It lived until about 2 years ago. I believe in buying quality stuff. I’m just saying that I would have gotten into HF many years sooner had a cheaper alternative been on the market. We all acquire better stuff as your situation and mainly money allows, this usually comes with time and age. The money I gave for my first truck wouldn’t buy a set of tires for the one I drive now.
View Quote
Can't argue with that. Get what you can afford. A Baofeng is a great option if money is tight. When I got into ham radio, 30+ years ago, I could not even dream of something like a Baofeng. No one was using VHF/UHF bands back then. It was HF SSB and CW only. I could not  get a commercially made radio, even if I had the money (which I didn't). The only choice was to built it myself from components bought at a black market.
I used to have a crappy, black and white picture of a Kenwood TS-520 on my shack wall. I thought I'd be the happiest man in the world if I had one of those radios. Now I have many nice radios but using them is not as much fun as it was when I built my own, first HF radio. There is a "like new" TS-520 in my shack now to remind me of my earlier days. The dream has materialized!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top