Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I used preen heavily in a few places, and the weeds have largely kept from coming back
Spots I did not use preen have required a lot of weeding.  Those were mostly veggies that were direct sowed into the garden.  

At least as of two days ago I still don’t have any red tomatoes.

Corn is looking great so far and picking some ears every evening just about this week. It’s not the best variety as far as sweetness but definitely not the worst.  

Need  some rain this weekend!

And maybe will try out a pickle this weekend.   Hopefully get some more before the plants die out.   I meant to put diatomaceous earth in the spots where I planted but completely forgot about it until later.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Had the first sweet corn last night, it's very good honey and pearl I think was the variety. Getting a few tomatoes here and there. I have 6 pickling cucumber plants and am getting 10#s every couple days!
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:

My pickle recipe is already fairly heavy on crushed red pepper, so it's got a little bite anyhow.  When I add a single jalep, it borders on too hot for weinies.  In my experience, a cayenne has quite a bit more kick than a jalep, so depending on your other ingredients, I'm betting it has some kick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bc5000:
I wonder how much heat 1 whole dried cayenne pepper dropped in a pint of pickles would give it. I wanted to try it but didn't feel like driving to the store.

My pickle recipe is already fairly heavy on crushed red pepper, so it's got a little bite anyhow.  When I add a single jalep, it borders on too hot for weinies.  In my experience, a cayenne has quite a bit more kick than a jalep, so depending on your other ingredients, I'm betting it has some kick.

If your pickles are too spicy you might pour off a portion of the liquid and replace with fresh vinegar

Link Posted: 8/6/2021 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Habaneros are going absolutely gangbusters.  Ghosts are starting to pop.  Jalapeños/serranos are down a bit this year so far, I'm guessing it has to do with the crazy amount of rain we've had this summer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I an still feeding on the carcass of my past glories,  but for all practical purposes it is dead.

Work starts back Monday. I'll try to get in a fall garden. Carrots, cabbages, broccoli,  califlower, Chinese greens, daikon. Maybe arugula. Maybe some cover crops.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By crawej21:
Had the first sweet corn last night, it's very good honey and pearl I think was the variety. Getting a few tomatoes here and there. I have 6 pickling cucumber plants and am getting 10#s every couple days!
View Quote

Temptation sweet corn was very good to me. I'll probably plant some silver queen since it is famously vulnerable to corn smut, I have grown fond of huitlacoche.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By billyhill:
I an still feeding on the carcass of my past glories,  but for all practical purposes it is dead.

Work starts back Monday. I'll try to get in a fall garden. Carrots, cabbages, broccoli,  califlower, Chinese greens, daikon. Maybe arugula. Maybe some cover crops.
View Quote

With the exception of okra, which is just starting to produce, My summer stuff is finished

I'm moving on to fall crops like collards, broccoli and bok choy

I hope summer returns

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Pickle makers

Have you ever had vinegar explode?

We were making our version of refrigerator green bean pickles.

I was bringing the vinegar up to a boil and it erupted from the pot.

Fortunately I wasn't near it

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Those look like sweet potato plants...
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:
Picked sweet corn too late.  It tastes horrible and is all thick and pasty.  Fail.  

Any recipes to make use of past-its-prime sweet corn or feed it to the chickens?
View Quote

Feed it to the chickens. Turn it into eggs. Win.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]
So far I've shelled over 6 lbs of crowder peas from my two 20' rows and still have a lot more on the vines. I want to get my hands on some "colossus crowder pea" seeds for next year. The pods are supposed to get up to 10" long.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:

With the exception of okra, which is just starting to produce, My summer stuff is finished

I'm moving on to fall crops like collards, broccoli and bok choy

I hope summer returns

View Quote

We just planted our fall crops of snow peas, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels.  I will try bok choi.  I’ve only planted it in spring and it always bolts.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Pickle makers

View Quote

I've had a few jars of salsa break while water bathing in the past, but I just chalked it up to crappy old jars that had hairline cracks in them.  I've never had vinegar pickling brine explode.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#14]

I've had a few jars of salsa break while water bathing in the past, but I just chalked it up to crappy old jars that had hairline cracks in them.  I've never had vinegar pickling brine explode.
View All Quotes
Pickle makers

My wife did a search and apparently it was a steam pocket of some sort

I had water and vinegar in the post

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Finnbear:

Those look like sweet potato plants...
View Quote

They are.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Got 4" of rain overnight. It's nice not to have to water the garden which is so time consuming.

The crowder peas are about done and the cukes have finally slowed down.

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bc5000:
Got 4" of rain overnight. It's nice not to have to water the garden which is so time consuming.

The crowder peas are about done and the cukes have finally slowed down.

View Quote

We got 3" early Wednesday evening

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Are you guys planting broccoli from seeds or plants? I never thought about a fall garden here in Missouri. My daughter loves broccoli is it too late to get some going?
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I went very small this year only doing some peppers and tomatoes for the wife and I.

Stuff is really starting to hit. Not pictured is the Roma’s and cherry tomatoes.

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Well all my squash has died out and the tomatoes are heading that way as well.

Any suggestions on something I can plant now in its place since I have the free  room.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Google georgia planting guide and look at the stuff from the ag extension

Last of the winter squash.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sigpros:
Are you guys planting broccoli from seeds or plants? I never thought about a fall garden here in Missouri. My daughter loves broccoli is it too late to get some going?
View Quote

I found a couple of plants at Home Depot

I not sure what fall is like in Missouri but I think Broccoli needs about 60 days to mature

I also planted collards and Bok Choy

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Bushhogging the garden is set up for Wednesday evening. I need to start some seeds today. Going out now to clear out the wire and pull the t post.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Made 2 gallons of pickles I think the cucumbers are finally slowing down. Picked the rest of my first planting of sweet corn, froze 12 cups. Have picked 20-30#'s of tomatoes and got a lot more coming yet. The ball sauce maker machine is awesome too, I hope it holds up over time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm curious....how many tomatoes do you throw away because of either bugs, or rotten on the vine?

And, do any of your grow spinach as a fall crop?

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Last Friday me and my two cousins canned up 76 quarts of salsa, mater juice and pasta sauce.  Good thing their maters are going gangbuster cause we would be buying Pace if we were depending on mine!
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Last Friday me and my two cousins canned up 76 quarts of salsa, mater juice and pasta sauce.  Good thing their maters are going gangbuster cause we would be buying Pace if we were depending on mine!
View Quote

WOW

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I wasted entirely too many due to disease and insect damage. I basically stopped picking once the freezer was full.

Spinach can do fine in the fall.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jb1001:
Habaneros are going absolutely gangbusters.  Ghosts are starting to pop.  Jalapeños/serranos are down a bit this year so far, I'm guessing it has to do with the crazy amount of rain we've had this summer.
View Quote

You SUCK!!!

Mine aren't doing shit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

We brought in what I thought were a lot of Romas but ended up with just over a quart or decent salsa.

Our garlic, onions and cilantro were great in it, but our jalapeños, serranos and other peppers were woeful - truly pathetic.

Last year, I had far, far more than I could eat or use.

This year? Fuggetabouit. No idea why, except solar output. That's all I can come up with.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sigpros:
View Quote

You should have more than enough time to get some in October.   I have picked broccoli on Christmas Day.   Wasn’t big but it was nice.  It is better as a cool weather crop anyways.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

We brought in what I thought were a lot of Romas but ended up with just over a quart or decent salsa.

Our garlic, onions and cilantro were great in it, but our jalapeños, serranos and other peppers were woeful - truly pathetic.

This year? Fuggetabouit. No idea why, except solar output. That's all I can come up with.
View Quote

You should try burpee supersauce tomatoes next year.   2-3X the size of ordinary romas.   Very dense flesh.   The only bad thing is they are not the most blight resistant, but if you give them decent space and airflow that should help.
The other burpee seed I’ve used was big beef.   These are very good producers and also pretty dense , they are a beefsteak variety.
I plant several other varieties too every year, but also at least six of these plants.

It could be June was too cloudy and rainy.  And then the last 3 weeks of July too hot and dry.   At least is seemed to be that way where I am.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

You should try burpee supersauce tomatoes next year.   2-3X the size of ordinary romas.   Very dense flesh.   The only bad thing is they are not the most blight resistant, but if you give them decent space and airflow that should help.
The other burpee seed I’ve used was big beef.   These are very good producers and also pretty dense , they are a beefsteak variety.
I plant several other varieties too every year, but also at least six of these plants.

It could be June was too cloudy and rainy.  And then the last 3 weeks of July too hot and dry.   At least is seemed to be that way where I am.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JQ66:

I have some super saucers so far my biggest is 1.5#!
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#34]
WOW
View Quote

We've been canning together for almost 15 years and we're pretty dang efficient at it now.  Back when we first started doing it we were probably three times slower working out of the small kitchen in my 2 bedroom 1 bath house.  Back then we would can till about midnight, clean everything up, mop our way out the deck door, then have a celebration drink out on the deck while the floor dried.  The morning after I would wake up and my entire house would smell like onions, peppers and tomatoes... by the end of those summers, it had kinda lost its luster.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 3:55:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billth777] [#37]
Cukes are all but done, Still filling up a basket of tomatoes a few times a week. I'm planning the fall garden now and waiting on it to dry out a bit so I can get a load of compost to top off all the beds and fill up the new ones.

I have pounds of peppers to pick and start fermenting for sauce.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#38]
My second planting of cukes is just coming in

I picked two yesterday and a runt today, which I had for lunch

Link Posted: 8/19/2021 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#39]

You SUCK!!!

Mine aren't doing shit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jb1001:

You SUCK!!!

Mine aren't doing shit.

Yeah I had a pretty good season last year, but this year is crazy.  They're up against the serranos and cayennes, which are prolific every year, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I’ve got several watermelons and cantaloupe coming along.  I will put them on the melon cradles this weekend (gets them off the ground)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Getting a few ripe tomatoes
I put my plants and cages too close together this year and and they do get the best air circulation that way.  But I’m not finding much blossom end rot yet. I did spray with serenade a couple times

My first planting of sweet corn is done and all picked.  Freezing and bagging what’s left.  And my second planting is looking pretty good so far.  This is a different variety than the first too.  Will see which have the best sweetness.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#41]
So far I've shelled 10.5 lbs of crowder peas. I've gave some away. Cooked a pot the other day and put in the freezer. This weekend I'm going to smoke a pork butt and put some of that in the peas instead of the usual bacon or pork jowl.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#42]
First year of a big garden I figure I've done 60#'s cucumbers and 100#"s tomatoes and a whole bunch of corn and peppers. Still got more coming!
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Buddy that hunts our land came over and bush hogged the garden this morning. A little too wet to till.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a question that maybe the experienced caners can answer

We canned two pints of green bean refrigerator pickles recently

I messed up and forgot a HUGELY necessary step

I didn't cook them in the hot water bath the 9 minutes I should have.  We've done the 9 min cook in past years and were excellent

Now the question:  If I were to bring the pickles to room temp and then cook for 9 min. would I be making a botulism experiment?

As they are I think they are safe to eat but they may have a raw taste.  So it's a matter of texture rather than safety

Any opinions?

Cook 'em or leave them as they are?   We put them up 2 weeks ago

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 8:25:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#45]

I didn't cook them in the hot water bath the 9 minutes I should have.  We've done the 9 min cook in past years and were excellent

Now the question:  If I were to bring the pickles to room temp and then cook for 9 min. would I be making a botulism experiment?

As they are I think they are safe to eat but they may have a raw taste.  So it's a matter of texture rather than safety

Any opinions?

View Quote

They in Vinegar/acidic solution like most fridge pickles? If so, I would think it would be safe. Are they bubbling?

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#46]

They in Vinegar/acidic solution like most fridge pickles? If so, I would think it would be safe. Are they bubbling?

View All Quotes

Any opinions?

Yes in about a 90% vinegar solution.

We typically pour off some of the brine because it is too vinegary and replace it with sterilized water

No, no bubbles but if I "cooked" them that's what I'm afraid will happen

I made a timing mistake one year canning green beans and I had the dreaded bubbles  

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd think they would be Ok, I would take the chance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#48]
I'd think they would be Ok, I would take the chance.
View Quote

I think you've missed the question

Can I cook them after they've been in the fridg for 2 weeks?

Link Posted: 8/22/2021 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Nope, I got it. Yes, I would try it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Nope, I got it. Yes, I would try it.
View Quote

Ok, thanks

Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top