Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2019 11:49:56 PM EDT
Several years back on here, I read a  read about pemmican.  I look to it and found that it was real and was used by native Americans during the winter months. As I researched it I found that pemmican was made with Jell-O and crushed meat that was very dry. You could also throw berries in for flavor. I figured with my desire to stay Atkins friendly that might be a good choice. But alas, I never got to do this. I even found the beef fat was free at the local butcher. All you have to do is freeze it after you mix it together and it stays forever. Has anyone tried this?
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s only as stable as the fat with which it’s made. If the fat melts, your pemmican does too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You have to render and clarify your beef tallow.

It's a good skill to have anyway because you can use tallow for lots of stuff. I mix it half and half with beeswax. It works to prevent rust on your gun, lip balm, moccasin water proofing, smash around your frizzen to water proof your flintlock, lube for the socket on a bow drill kit, and on and on.

Berries and nuts can be added but must be very dry. The jerk must be bone dry and pounded to bits small enough to soak up the tallow.

Pemmican is not tasty (not suppose to be) but it'll keep and it's calorie dense.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to render and clarify your beef tallow.

It's a good skill to have anyway because you can use tallow for lots of stuff. I mix it half and half with beeswax. It works to prevent rust on your gun, lip balm, moccasin water proofing, smash around your frizzen to water proof your flintlock, lube for the socket on a bow drill kit, and on and on.

Berries and nuts can be added but must be very dry. The jerk must be bone dry and pounded to bits small enough to soak up the tallow.

Pemmican is not tasty (not suppose to be) but it'll keep and it's calorie dense.
View Quote
What he said.

My pemmican experiment started with a jerky batch that went wrong.  The taste isn’t offensive- but the texture takes some getting used to.

You want to piss off Mrs TxRabbitBane? Process a bunch of tallow in the kitchen. Next time I’m doing it on my boiler/fryer burner outside.

I’d love a steady supply of beeswax too, but the one guy I know with bees lets his son process/sell beeswax - he gets top dollar (lol more than I want to pay for it).
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:56:04 AM EDT
[#4]
check out these videos about pemmican.

Pemmican - The Ultimate Survival Food
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Indians used to bury Pemmican in pottery (probably a rock atop of the soil too) but knew where their caches were.  When they traveled, they had food pre-placed for their trips.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I added a commercial roast beef seasoning blend and a bit of salt to the last batch I made. It improved the flavor greatly and I don't see how it would hurt the storage life any.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top