Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:58:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is my WSPR screenshot from the last 24 hours. RX + TX @ 5 watts. I took screen shots of each band so I could record the performance if any one wants to see a particular band in detail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I would be interested to see the 160M only paths.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 6SJ7GT:

Art WA9AWJ (SK) used to use a coax to a uhf Tee on an MJFJ dummy load with a short random wire on the other side of the
Tee. He had perfect SWR and made some contacts!
View Quote

I have heard of this being done before, can't provide a reference though. Seems that signals and transmission were about 3 dB down. There was another ham back in the 90s maybe, who loaded up a light bulb up on a pole out doors. I guess that could be an Isotropic radiator which is down 2.15 dB from a dipole.
Rob
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By seek2:

HFpack did an antenna shootout 20+ years ago, two of the designs were just a 75 ohm resistor across a BNC connector
with a whip attached to the antenna output side. A 48" whip was down 26.3 dB from a 1/4 wave reference antenna
on 20M. https://hflink.com/hfpack/antennas/shootoutvertical2002.html
View Quote

I used to be into watching the HF pack website, had an IC 703 at the time. With out doing the math, if I could LOL, a 20 dB change is 100 times, a 30 dB change is 1000 times. A much longer wire while using the dummy load in parallel is probably more efficient.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By robmkivseries70:

I used to be into watching the HF pack website, had an IC 703 at the time. With out doing the math, if I could LOL, a 20 dB change is 100 times, a 30 dB change is 1000 times. A much longer wire while using the dummy load in parallel is probably more efficient.
View Quote

If you look at the site, the 90" whip with a resistor was down 18dB from the 1/4W, basically +8dB from the 48" whip -- so yeah, longer wire is way more efficient.

Of course once it's 16-17 feet or so it's a 1/4W on 20M, and that's about as good as it's going to get for a simple antenna.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
I would be interested to see the 160M only paths.
View Quote

160 dx wasn't awesome, but it's working nicely local 300 miles and in so far.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

160 dx wasn't awesome, but it's working nicely local 300 miles and in so far.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/160m_24_hours_JPG-3157946.JPG
View Quote
Would also be good to know how many 160m stations are out there listening, you might be reaching other places where there's no one there to report it, considering 160m isn't as popular as other bands.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:40:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tyrex13] [#8]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Would also be good to know how many 160m stations are out there listening, you might be reaching other places where there's no one there to report it, considering 160m isn't as popular as other bands.
View Quote

All my 160m pings heard me, none were transmitting.

On that topic, I did TX and RX on 6m and nothing. I also RX on MF and LF and nothing their either.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:17:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#9]
Put that 160M station in the middle of Conus and you would have something to look at. Looks good.

6m sucks on long wires; or so I have been told.

No big openings since I put up my 6m antenna. Just direct wave stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Put that 160M station in the middle of Conus and you would have something to look at. Looks good.

6m sucks on long wires; or so I have been told.

No big openings since I put up my 6m antenna. Just direct wave stuff.
View Quote

I might run 160m at 100w tonight
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#11]
We will have to setup a day I can setup portable with my 160m wire to try JS8. The band is about to go bad for the season.

What UTC time does 160M start working for you?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe around 0600
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:40:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SimpleScout] [#13]
I've got a 9:1 UnUn roughly 20ft up on my eave that goes to a 53ft wire that slopes down to about 3ft. I have a 40ft counterpoise that slopes down the other way - so it's kinda an offset inverted vee abomination. It's most definitely a compromised antenna, but it's stealthy enough to avoid notice from the HOA and neighbors, and the SWR is low enough that the IC-7300 can tune it from 160m-6m on "Emergency" tuner mode. I have some 470 ohm, 100 watt non-inductive resistors in my radio box, so for kicks and giggles tonight I pushed a 1/4" aluminum rod a couple feet into the ground at the end of the 53ft wire with the resistor in series. My constant S5 to S6 noise on 20m from RFI in the neighborhood immediately dropped down to S2. SWR is now less than 2:1 across all the bands. I was listening to a station on 80m about 700 miles away that was coming in S9+5 and after installing the resistor he dropped down about 1/2 S-unit, but audibly was identical. I can now turn off Emergency mode on the tuner and use normal mode to tune it down to a perfect 1:1. This weekend I'll spend some time playing with VarAC and the resistor connected/disconnected from the ground rod to evalute TX & RX signal reports, but so far so it's working as expected.

Edited to add: initial pings on VarAC between 5 different stations is a 5db reduction in transmitted signal strength when the antenna is terminated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:09:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SimpleScout:
I've got a 9:1 UnUn roughly 20ft up on my eave that goes to a 53ft wire that slopes down to about 3ft. I have a 40ft counterpoise that slopes down the other way - so it's kinda an offset inverted vee abomination. It's most definitely a compromised antenna, but it's stealthy enough to avoid notice from the HOA and neighbors, and the SWR is low enough that the IC-7300 can tune it from 160m-6m on "Emergency" tuner mode. I have some 470 ohm, 100 watt non-inductive resistors in my radio box, so for kicks and giggles tonight I pushed a 1/4" aluminum rod a couple feet into the ground at the end of the 53ft wire with the resistor in series. My constant S5 to S6 noise on 20m from RFI in the neighborhood immediately dropped down to S2. SWR is now less than 2:1 across all the bands. I was listening to a station on 80m about 700 miles away that was coming in S9+5 and after installing the resistor he dropped down about 1/2 S-unit, but audibly was identical. I can now turn off Emergency mode on the tuner and use normal mode to tune it down to a perfect 1:1. This weekend I'll spend some time playing with VarAC and the resistor connected/disconnected from the ground rod to evalute TX & RX signal reports, but so far so it's working as expected.

Edited to add: initial pings on VarAC between 5 different stations is a 5db reduction in transmitted signal strength when the antenna is terminated.
View Quote

This is excellent info, thanks for sharing. Your noise floor drop is significant! Trade off is about 1 S unit in transmit for about 2 S unit improvement in SNR. Very interesting and not too different from my experience.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Art WA9AWJ (SK) used to use a coax to a uhf Tee on an MJFJ dummy load with a short random wire on the other side of the
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Things I've heard are dummy loads:

1. End feds
2. Wolf River Coils
3. Anything with a trap or coil
4. Anything fed with coax instead of ladder line
5. Any antenna that is non resonant
6. Anything involving a balun or unun
7. Anything made by Chameleon
8. G5RV's (which are just a doublet, which is a well loved antenna). Tell someone you have a G5RV and you're a noob, tell them you have a home brew doublet and you're a jedi.
9. Verticals
10. Off center fed dipoles
11. Basically anything that isn't a dipole. Unless you're a tower and beam guy, then dipoles are dummy loads to you.
87. TEF

What'd I miss?

I'll let you guys know how it works.

I have done that several times just for fun. A leaky dummy load. With FT8 you can make quite a few contacts that way. Way down in the dirt, but if you get a contact way down in the dirt it is still as good as strong one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#16]
@SimpleScout

I'm curious, did you bring the counterpoise under the radiating element and terminate at the ground as well? Or was it still in the opposing direction? Did you ground the counterpoise as well?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like he made a random wire inverted v with the resistor at the counterpoise end.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:15:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SimpleScout] [#18]

Counterpoise runs down to ground level but isn't connected to anything.

The -5dB numbers I gave last night was on 40m and were very consistent. Today on 20m its much less consistent and is making me scratch my head because many of the stations I ping are giving me stronger signal reports with the antenna terminated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

I have done that several times just for fun. A leaky dummy load. With FT8 you can make quite a few contacts that way. Way down in the dirt, but if you get a contact way down in the dirt it is still as good as strong one.
View All Quotes

1. End feds
2. Wolf River Coils
8. G5RV's (which are just a doublet, which is a well loved antenna). Tell someone you have a G5RV and you're a noob, tell them you have a home brew doublet and you're a jedi.
9. Verticals
11. Basically anything that isn't a dipole. Unless you're a tower and beam guy, then dipoles are dummy loads to you.
87. TEF

What'd I miss?

Sonny Irons (Max-Com) sold an encapsulated dummy load to which a pair of wires attached. It was billed as a "high speed auto-matcher".

Yes, people bought the things.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I just did a quick test on 20m SSB @ 25 watt with the Utah SDR which is roughly 400 miles west of me (in the direction of the resistor). Unterminated I was S5, terminated I was S7. Maybe the resistor is taking some of my random vertical and side lobes and pulling them down to a lower angle towards the west.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:06:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tyrex13] [#21]
I just did a quick test on 20m SSB @ 25 watt with the Utah SDR which is roughly 400 miles west of me (in the direction of the resistor). Unterminated I was S5, terminated I was S7. Maybe the resistor is taking some of my random vertical and side lobes and pulling them down to a lower angle towards the west.
View Quote

I have found that with my inverted V installation the antenna system seems to be directional in the direction of the resistor on bands 20m and up. Perhaps more so with a sloper. This can be a real pro for me as I plan to build another one and point it at the US.

Can you also try grounding the counterpoise end? Just curious..

Your diagram is how I envisioned the deployment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, it definitely has directevity (to the west in my case). Unterminated, stations on the east coast are S9, but when terminated they drop 4 to 6 S-units depending on location. West coast stations are booming in. For a general purpose antenna I don't think a terminated end fed is a good choice. But if you want to reach a specific region on all bands without a tuner I think it could be an option. On digital modes where you can usually sacrifice some performance and still make the contact a terminated antenna would be adequate. Is it perfect? No. Does it work? Absolutely. To call it a dummy load is a huge exaggeration.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Juat tried terminating the counterpoise. No noticeable difference in background noise, no change in SWR, similar to maybe slightly worse signal reports on TX & RX. Doesn't seem like it's worth it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Juat tried terminating the counterpoise. No noticeable difference in background noise, no change in SWR, similar to maybe slightly worse signal reports on TX & RX. Doesn't seem like it's worth it.
View Quote

Interesting, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AnalogKid:

Sonny Irons (Max-Com) sold an encapsulated dummy load to which a pair of wires attached. It was billed as a "high speed auto-matcher".

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AnalogKid:

1. End feds
2. Wolf River Coils
9. Verticals
87. TEF

What'd I miss?

I know. And today some people defend them and think there is some "mechanism" inside. Or say, "It just works".  Well EVERYTHING "works".  Works is no criterion to judge an antenna by. Just because an antenna works, and you make contacts with it does not mean it is any good.  Works as compared to what? But if extremely wide bandwidth and "makes contacts" is your goal, then have at it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:51:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SimpleScout] [#26]

Not bad for 25 watts into a dummy load
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#27]
https://i.ibb.co/wwvjDBT/Screenshot-20240316-214258-Chrome.jpg

Not bad for 25 watts into a dummy load
View Quote

If I remember correctly you lose 3db to the termination so basically half your power. That 100w radio is now a 50w radio. You can still do good stuff you just need more power or better conditions.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By LTCetme:

If I remember correctly you lose 3db to the termination so basically half your power. That 100w radio is now a 50w radio. You can still do good stuff you just need more power or better conditions.
View Quote

Does that mean I can run a 3 Kw amp?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

I think you'd want to be confident with your term ratings for dissipation and have your gain and near field RF effects well understood but yeah I suppose you could.

It's about ERP and 1500w into a load isn't radiated so...
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#30]
W6LVP Amplified RX Loop Antenna

The W6LVP magnetic loop antenna review

If anyone wants to improve their low band receive S/N ratio you might want to consider an amplified receive loop with the TX/RX switch.

W6LVP Wideband Receiving Loop
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Does this switch let you run a receive antenna with a radio only setup with one antenna port?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Does this switch let you run a receive antenna with a radio only setup with one antenna port?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Yes it does and it makes more sense than the terminated end fed antenna, especially as you can use whatever antenna you want for TX and the loop will handle the RX.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:36:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#33]

View All Quotes

yes. the rules are peak effective radiated power

ETA: I run 200 watts from the amp on 60 meters
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:27:31 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
You're gonna need a bigger resistor !
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#35]
More follow up notes on my terminated antenna after using it for a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't recommend it for a DX style antenna where you are trying to eek out every last milliwatt to make that QSO halfway across the world. However, I would definitely recommend it for a dead simple multiband antenna for utility "milk run" comms - things like regional nets, Winlink, VarAC. It would be especially convenient if you're moving around and don't have perfectly spaced trees for a nice dipole or whatever.

It's directional, but not by much. I still get plenty of good signal reports on PSKreporter from all over the country.

It's a good antenna for automatic operation.  Things like ALE or even Winlink on auto-connect mode. The radio can jump around all over the bands and you don't have to worry about the SWR.

It gets you on all bands with compromise antennas and limited range antenna tuners. If all you've got is a Yaesu FT-710 with a 3:1 internal tuner then this will get the job done.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Neat test.  May use this to add 160 and 6 to my setup as well.

Food for thought: this also has the benefit of discharging all your static build up to ground continuously.  Makes using bare wire plausible without the worry of static build up in high winds.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:57:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SimpleScout] [#37]
Yep, the static drain feature is nice to have. I live in an area prone to thunderstorms and this gives me a little more peace of mind. It was just last summer we had a thunderstorm brewing in the distance and I was getting a static arc across my BNC connector every few seconds.

A terminated antenna may not be ideal for QRP stations unless you're running digital modes to make up for the power loss. My feeling is it's good for those paths where your link budget is large and the power loss doesn't make a big difference - I've found that 25 watts is more than enough for rock solid digital comms under most circumstances. There's a station about 700 miles from me that I can reach on VarAC 20m and 40m pretty much anytime of the day or night using 25 watts and the terminated antenna - the other guy's station setup is pretty modest as well, so it's not like he's got a yagi doing all the heavy lifting.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the updates and posting your data. I agree with your conclusion. Mine is still a temporary deployment as the ground is frozen and I haven't been able to get in a ground rod yet. I do have the full connected counterpoise. Currently using mine as antenna 2 on my back up rig for 60 and 160 since my antenna 1 EFHW doesn't tune those bands.

I don't think this is a great antenna or should be anyone's only antenna unless they have specific space or noise issues. I do believe it is a useful antenna however and I've enjoyed the exeperiment.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#39]
My probably very unpopular opinion is that a 80-10m end fed antenna (myantennas, or the MFJ  clone) should be the ubiquitous HF antenna for newbies in ham radio, and if the newbie doesn't have 135ft of space for that, they should use a short terminated end fed in whatever size space they have. They should at least be much more popular than the G5RV new operators gravitate towards. Setup is super simple and they work quite well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:11:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Interesting update...

I was using a 100 watt, 470 ohm, thick film resistor for my termination. I was trying to send a VarAC vmail to a DX station a little faster so I cranked up the IC-7300 to 100 watts and I was able to push the message through in about 5 minutes, but that's when I saw the SWR go high. I walk outside to check the antenna and my terminating resistor is laying on the ground. I had heated up the resistor enough that the screw terminal melted right off at the base... time for a redesign, or maybe an all new antenna design to play with...
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Interesting update...

I was using a 100 watt, 470 ohm, thick film resistor for my termination. I was trying to send a VarAC vmail to a DX station a little faster so I cranked up the IC-7300 to 100 watts and I was able to push the message through in about 5 minutes, but that's when I saw the SWR go high. I walk outside to check the antenna and my terminating resistor is laying on the ground. I had heated up the resistor enough that the screw terminal melted right off at the base... time for a redesign, or maybe an all new antenna design to play with...
View Quote

If that much heat was being dissipated into the resistor think about how little RF was being radiated into the ionosphere.

Guys there are just so many better and more efficient antennas out there to build. Fan dipoles, Fan verticals, even OCFD's etc. Any transmitting antenna with a resistor in it seems like a great way to turn RF energy into heat energy. Last time I looked, the goal was to launch our RF into the ionosphere.

Kind of reminds me of a Harley Davidson Motorcycle. Instead of turning fuel into locomotion, Harley's excel at turning fuel into noise.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:16:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SimpleScout] [#42]
Yes, there are much better antennas you can use, but not everyone has the space or low noise floor to use better antennas (i.e. ME!) This terminated antenna has given me non-stop day and night contact with a station of interest about 700 miles away across all bands with no tuning, using 25 watts. In that role it has worked extremely well.

Yesterday I connected to a New Zealand station on VarAC at 25 watts, and just cranked up the power to 100 hoping to increase the bit rate as I was already late for work that was my demise, lol.

While it's not generally recommened to use a terminated antenna, a ton of hams live in dense urban areas with small yards and lots of RFI. A terminated antenna might make the difference between being able to operate HF at all in conditions like that. So once again, yes there are much better antennas out there, but this is a good one to keep in your toolbox for specific circumstances.

K0UA: If I had a few hundred yards of forest out my back door like you do, I would never use a terminated antenna either.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Interesting update...

View Quote

@SimpleScout This video may be of interest to you.
Best Ferrite Core For a 100w End Fed Half Wave Antenna
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Yes, the trees can be handy to string wire over. They get in the way sometimes, but you can work with them. Natures towers and supports
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top