Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2021 3:15:36 PM EDT
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Coleman for my daughter's first camping trip.  It's been years since I camped, and I remember using seam tape for waterproofing purposes.

I bought some waterproofing spray (Scotchgard HD water shield).  A friend told me to spray the tent with a light coat.

I thought I would ask here.  Do I need to spray the entire tent, or just the seams?  It does have a rain fly as well.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Seal the floor seams. Pitch the tent climb in side and get to work. Seal the fly seams.  Forget the spray. Seam Sealers
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If it has a fly (double wall) do NOT spray the tent body with water proofing.  You'll get condensation like a tropical rain storm.

Most modern tents use seal seal hot tape during construction on the fly and floor seams, you can see the tape.
That tape can wear, it's always a good idea to seal the seams manually.
Lots of debate on whether to seal on the inside or outside of the seams.
I sealed the outside, there's tape on the inside, and this seals the outer thread to the waterproof fabric, other wise the thread would still get wet on the outside.
Makes the tent look like it has snail track all over it (if that is a concern).

A Scotchguard type spray on the outside of the fly isn't a dab idea.  It helps the fabric shed water.
Most rain jackets (even Gore Tex) have a Durable Water Repellent finish (DWR) that needs to be reapplied periodically.
Tents are similar.  

The floor should also be sealed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks

It claims welded and inverted seams.  Looks like the floor bellies up off the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E4AW1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
i've thinned 100% silicone caulk with mineral spirits and painted that on the seams. pretty effective.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top