Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/4/2020 6:02:33 PM EDT
Anyone ever tear one down ? Is it possible to use chainsaw with an old chain attached. Im sure sawzall will work also.

Thoughts ? Comments ? Suggestions ?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I had an Amish father and son tear down an old one on my land.  They did it for free.
They took what they wanted and I threw the rest away.
I would suggest NOT using a chainsaw with an old chain (way too dangerous).
You should get a bi-metal blade for a sawzall if you're going that route.
Or tie a chain around key areas and hook it up to a truck and start driving!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea after some research, chainsaw bad idea, lol,

Not many amish around here, ill probably get a roll off dumpster and get at it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Let the local fd torch it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what kind of place you have but there is a ton of good salvage. The sheeting alone around the homestead has saved me hundreds of dollars. Screws, steel possible, bricks, the list goes on.  It’s worth a few extra hours to take it apart carefully and keep some of that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Tou could get a metals blade for circular saw which would be faster than saws-all. Then start digging in. No easy way to do it except a match plus hauling off what's left.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By vengarr:
Let the local fd torch it.
View Quote

This^^^
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Rent a D10 Cat.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Demo saw and a bobcat
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Let the local fd torch it.
View Quote

<<< Ret Fire Chief and training officer.  

We did a bunch of these.  Let your local guys know and see if that’s an option.  Leaves a lot less for you to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
Not sure what kind of place you have but there is a ton of good salvage. The sheeting alone around the homestead has saved me hundreds of dollars. Screws, steel possible, bricks, the list goes on.  It’s worth a few extra hours to take it apart carefully and keep some of that stuff.
View Quote

There are a few things im gonna keep, some of the roll put windows willbe utilized in a greenhouse design to help with venting.

Talked to excavator ppl, they said FD doesnt do that anymore, i may still ask
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a demo permit for tax reasons.

Rent a midi excavator. 5 ton will work fine.

Line up a roll off company.

Two days because I didn’t have enough dump trucks. 700sqft house.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Good idea on demo permit. Yea, once trailers removed, id get property  Reclassified
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I had Reggie take two down for the scrap, I paid for the dumpsters he filled them up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By die-tryin:

There are a few things im gonna keep, some of the roll put windows willbe utilized in a greenhouse design to help with venting.

Talked to excavator ppl, they said FD doesnt do that anymore, i may still ask
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Not sure what kind of place you have but there is a ton of good salvage. The sheeting alone around the homestead has saved me hundreds of dollars. Screws, steel possible, bricks, the list goes on.  It’s worth a few extra hours to take it apart carefully and keep some of that stuff.

There are a few things im gonna keep, some of the roll put windows willbe utilized in a greenhouse design to help with venting.

Talked to excavator ppl, they said FD doesnt do that anymore, i may still ask

Most FD’s won’t touch live burns in homes these days. We used to delight a house 6 or 7 times before it got to bad to go interior and then we’d let it burn. At the academy they’d throw in a coffee can full of diesel to get it to flash before you went in. Now all they burn is straw and pallets and stopped doing burn requests due to the liability and “lack of controlled environment”.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a big, trashy double wide [76'x26'] that I'll need removed next year.  It sits on a poured craw-space.  

I was told the best way to get rid of it was to dig a big hole next to it, shove it in burn and then cover it.  

to learn other options.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

A battery reciprocating saw is your friend.

I own three reciprocating saws.  

A corded Porter Cable. (awesome saw, old school.  Will eat anything for lunch.)

A Milwaukee.  I hate the blade change mechanism on this saw so much I may give it away.  No I am not lying.

The DeWalt 60 v Max battery saw.

It rocks.  

I wish the Milwaukee was a battery saw.  

Whatever you get, buy extra batteries.

If you get the Harbor Freight version, buy extra batteries.

Just sayin. 

You can tear apart damn near anything with a reciprocating saw and a lot of blades.

PS. All blades are crap now, as far as I can tell.  Buy a few decent ones and mostly, just buy a metric sh*t ton of crap blades.  There's not a lot of difference between the Harbor Freight blades and the stuff you get at Lowes.  And I can't tell any difference between the Lowes blades and the WAY more expensive ones from the plumbing supply house.

View Quote

I just found this guy on YouTube and he is one of the few "must watch" guys on the feed list now.  This is one of like four videos he did on sawzall blades.
Which sawzall (reciprocating saw) blade is best? Let's find out!
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Deuskid:
I have a big, trashy double wide [76'x26'] that I'll need removed next year.  It sits on a poured craw-space.  

I was told the best way to get rid of it was to dig a big hole next to it, shove it in burn and then cover it.  

to learn other options.
View All Quotes
I have a big, trashy double wide [76'x26'] that I'll need removed next year.  It sits on a poured craw-space.  

I was told the best way to get rid of it was to dig a big hole next to it, shove it in burn and then cover it.  

to learn other options.

The two companies i called apparently do this for trailers and houses, they dig  hole,  burn what they can and bury the rest. I told them that wasnt an option here. If i owned thousands of acres maybe but not here..

Originally Posted By bdicki:
I had Reggie take two down for the scrap, I paid for the dumpsters he filled them up.

Im hoping to do something similiar,  but living in BFE makes it hard to find ppl let alone rollback company.

What size trailer you tear down and how many dumpsters and size of dumpster did it take ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Small excavator with a claw and a couple of 30 yard dumpsters.  

Local FD's near me would not touch the house we were tearing down for training unless I removed a whole list of things due to environmental reasons, even then they said it would still be a huge mess, just now a burnt mess.  There were also several 150 year old trees near by that would have been cooked.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Hire this guy.  He's one working mofo!

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Hire this guy.  He's one working mofo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7amU1aNj-4
View Quote

I never heard of him until just last night when someone asked me if I ever watched his videos.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Scrappers stripped a mobile home down to the bones near me a few years ago. It was an unauthorized demolition. Didn't take them long either, at least it didn't appear to. I just noticed a skeleton one day where there once was a mobile home and insulation was all over the yard. The siding, wiring, windows, right down to the kitchen sink turned into meth money. Guess they work real fast when they are on a fresh charge.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I've done two. First one got inadvertently burned down after a warming fire got out of hand on a windy day. I still find screws in that area.

The second one I used a cat 320 track hoe and moved it to an area where I could pull it apart and burn then bury it. Me personally, I would choose option two
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#25]
If you want to save the aluminum for scrap a battery powered nibble tool is your friend.
Cut the sheet alum & rip it off.
Most if not all plumbing will be plastic...not worth it..
Wiring will be a snip & chop but there's several # copper.
The insulation is gonna be nasty... wear a mask..dumpster..
Panneling, framing, cabinets...burn or dumpster. depending on your codes..
Sawzall to cut flooring.. burn or dump..
Frame, axles etc... some can be saved for a future project...some cant.
Sawzall or cutting torch.. junk to junkyard scrap pile.
When in doubt...throw it out...
BTDT several times...
In 2 days with ambition you can have it reduced to piles a,b,c,d etc.
Good luck & wear PPE
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By PA452:

I never heard of him until just last night when someone asked me if I ever watched his videos.
View Quote

carmata is entertaining. resourceful, and crazy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#27]

The two companies i called apparently do this for trailers and houses, they dig  hole,  burn what they can and bury the rest. I told them that wasnt an option here. If i owned thousands of acres maybe but not here..

View Quote

Why not an option?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#28]

The two companies i called apparently do this for trailers and houses, they dig  hole,  burn what they can and bury the rest. I told them that wasnt an option here. If i owned thousands of acres maybe but not here..

Im hoping to do something similiar,  but living in BFE makes it hard to find ppl let alone rollback company.

What size trailer you tear down and how many dumpsters and size of dumpster did it take ?
View All Quotes

to learn other options.

I had Reggie take two down for the scrap, I paid for the dumpsters he filled them up.

Im hoping to do something similiar,  but living in BFE makes it hard to find ppl let alone rollback company.

What size trailer you tear down and how many dumpsters and size of dumpster did it take ?

Two singlewides, 5 40 yard dumpsters that you could put anything but carpet in, no weight limit. Cost $2000 for all of them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Heck put it as Free on craigslist or facebook market. Two methheads will show up in a 1993 buick skylark and haul it all piece by piece.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Why not an option?
View All Quotes

Why not an option?

Not gonna turn property into a landfill , plus this property is going to have something built on it, its only an acre, but will be added to my 10 acres.

Originally Posted By maddmatt:
Heck put it as Free on craigslist or facebook market. Two methheads will show up in a 1993 buick skylark and haul it all piece by piece.

The one was suppose to be hauled off 3 years ago, dude went to find wheels for it and never came back, now trailer is completely falling apart.

Ive also followed a couple ads on FB , where ppl were offering free mobile homes, those ads never got pulled, they kept reposting, so not getting any takers. Where i live, you have 3 types of ppl, farmers, vacationers and lazy mo fo’s. Ppl want to bitch about money but don’t wanna work, i keep hearing scrap prices down.

Two singlewides, 5 40 yard dumpsters that you could put anything but carpet in, no weight limit. Cost $2000 for all of them.

Sounds cheap, we paid $500 a pop when clearing out my dad’s house.

What did you do about the frame ?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Not gonna turn property into a landfill , plus this property is going to have something built on it, its only an acre, but will be added to my 10 acres. 

The one was suppose to be hauled off 3 years ago, dude went to find wheels for it and never came back, now trailer is completely falling apart. 

Ive also followed a couple ads on FB , where ppl were offering free mobile homes, those ads never got pulled, they kept reposting, so not getting any takers. Where i live, you have 3 types of ppl, farmers, vacationers and lazy mo fo’s. Ppl want to bitch about money but don’t wanna work, i keep hearing scrap prices down.

Sounds cheap, we paid $500 a pop when clearing out my dad’s house. 

What did you do about the frame ? 
View All Quotes

Why not an option?

Not gonna turn property into a landfill , plus this property is going to have something built on it, its only an acre, but will be added to my 10 acres. 

Originally Posted By maddmatt:
Heck put it as Free on craigslist or facebook market. Two methheads will show up in a 1993 buick skylark and haul it all piece by piece.

The one was suppose to be hauled off 3 years ago, dude went to find wheels for it and never came back, now trailer is completely falling apart. 

Ive also followed a couple ads on FB , where ppl were offering free mobile homes, those ads never got pulled, they kept reposting, so not getting any takers. Where i live, you have 3 types of ppl, farmers, vacationers and lazy mo fo’s. Ppl want to bitch about money but don’t wanna work, i keep hearing scrap prices down.

Two singlewides, 5 40 yard dumpsters that you could put anything but carpet in, no weight limit. Cost $2000 for all of them.

Sounds cheap, we paid $500 a pop when clearing out my dad’s house. 

What did you do about the frame ? 

Reggie took it for scrap as well as the roof and siding. took the bathtubs to water his cattle, furniture for his kid, and a good washer and dryer.
It was a lot of work.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#32]

It was a lot of work.
View Quote

Tearing down mobile ?

Im hoping to strip it down to frame and find someone that wants the frame for scrap or to build something with it.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#33]
With my dozer and wheel loader I disposed of a double wide in less than an hour. A pick up load of scrap for the junkyard, stove, water heater, HVAC, etc.... the rest I crushed up with the dozer and we loaded it all on a 16 ft trailer. Mobile home frames are flimsy junk, I wouldn't build anything out of them. I folded it all up together and we hauled it off. Yall make things too complicated!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Tn_Huntaholic:
With my dozer and wheel loader I disposed of a double wide in less than an hour. A pick up load of scrap for the junkyard, stove, water heater, HVAC, etc.... the rest I crushed up with the dozer and we loaded it all on a 16 ft trailer. Mobile home frames are flimsy junk, I wouldn't build anything out of them. I folded it all up together and we hauled it off. Yall make things too complicated!
View Quote

Ya wanna take a trip to WV ? Lol all the moonshine you could drink, lol

When i called excavation company, they told me it could be two days or possibly within an 8-10 hour day, it didnt make sense that it would take so long.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anyone ever tear one down ? Is it possible to use chainsaw with an old chain attached. Im sure sawzall will work also.

Thoughts ? Comments ? Suggestions ?
View Quote

Burn it or bring in an experienced operator. Video below for time reference.

ETA: The videoclip below was 5 hours and 3 dump truck loads.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm of the opinion if you don't need/want the materials, to include the frame, for your personal use then this isn't worth tackling.  I'd judge if the quality and quantity of materials is worth your time/effort vs paying someone to take it.  Don't rely on anyone hauling it for "free" as you've learned the hard way.  If you do decide to tackle this you can pretty well gut the interior.  Not much of it is re-usable IMO as the materials used in mobile homes is about as cheap as you can get.  Exterior cladding (aluminum) is kinda worth it as are the windows and exterior doors for use on "rough" structures.  Interior doors are likely crappier than the hollow cores you can buy at the home center.  Door hardware is likely crappy, but the hinges can be salvaged.  Kitchen cabinets are probably not worth salvaging unless you put them directly into a shop right away.  Copper can be salvaged from the wiring, I'd probably trash the receptacles/switches .  HVAC system (not the ducting) can be salvaged for the motor or for the unit if it's still good.  AC if present get someone to evac the freon and you can jerry rig it up to a home built meat locker/container if you want....though using a window unit is far easier.  Again the motor is worth salvaging.   The electrical panel may be worth salvaging if you see yourself needing a sub panel for an outbuilding.  Toilets are likely not worth it from a quality/efficiency standpoint.  

I know you said once it's gone you're gonna get the property re-evaled and I'm assuming this is for tax purposes.  If that's not the case, and the structure is dry, I'd gut the place down to the studs and turn it into a shed/shop.  Personally that's what I'd lean towards
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#37]
My brother and I tore down the single-wide we grew up in, so he could build a house on the land. Sawzall down one
side and use a truck to pull it over. Once it was down we set it on fire, which was a mistake. A buddy of his wanted the frame
but the fire warped it beyond use.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#38]

to learn other options.
View Quote

Just keep that on the down low. The parish found out my FIL was planning that and made sure he didn't. Long story..
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Well i have more time then money, so going to get dumpster and diablo sawzall blades and demon circular saw blades.

Dumpster is $600 , 40 yrd, 6 ton allowed.

Dump fee from contractor was gonna be 750-1000 alone, they charge $185 hr.so, yea ill attempt myself .

Arfcom demo party ?

Here is my plan;

Pull propane / gas stove and sell it ( its in great condition and be good for cabin or small house)

Cut out all windows and keep what i need, while trying to avoid breaking glass.

Cut out / disassemble the heating unit, looks good condition and might be able to repurpose it

Sledge hammer / sawzall interior

StArt at front and cut wall sections out or start on roof. Have to wait and see, lol
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Lots of tannerite
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Burn it
Start the fire at one end
Or more realistically in the kitchen
Then start the timer on your watch
Probably be the fastest 15 minutes of your life

PS once it’s burning, GET OUT AND STAY OUT
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By kels:
Burn it
Start the fire at one end
Or more realistically in the kitchen
Then start the timer on your watch
Probably be the fastest 15 minutes of your life

PS once it’s burning, GET OUT AND STAY OUT
View Quote

Lol, ill have to see about that.....

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Hire this guy.  He's one working mofo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7amU1aNj-4
View Quote

Came to post Andrew. He has a few videos of him demoing trailers, other property. Usually with an excavator and his dump truck. He loads the scrap in the dump truck and the rest in a dumpster.

If you have a truck to haul the scrap it might be worth it to rent the excavator.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Your laws may vary.  We scrapped several through the years due to being trashed by druggies and/or animals.
I would take a small pick axe and remove the metal siding and roof.
Bobcat (we have 2), dig a hole nearby, push everything off the frame into it, burn and bury.
Torch up the frame, and haul it along with the sheet metal to the scrap yard.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Lol, right now , our plan ( it could change) is to get 40 yard dumpster, take trailer apart (screw by screw on the outside aluminum), toss insulation , wood interior and flooring.

Going to scrap out the aluminum, copper and steel frame. This will help pay for dumpster

If some of the 2x2 framing is decent, ill save as much as possible for another project

And , Got buddy that wants the axles
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Rent me a 10 to 12k pound mini Ex with a hydraulic thumb, I'll drive down and demo that in a matter of hours.

Keep the roll off dumpsters coming.

At one point I owned 2 kubota KXs and it was easy
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#48]

That is freaky.  I couldn't stop watching. I subscribed to his channel. 

It always amazes me what a really good equipment operator can do.  

It's also a little scary how quickly a piece of equipment like that can completely remove something we humans spent months and a lot of money to build (no not this mobile home, but he could tear down a stick-built house just about as quickly.)
View Quote

He is a freaking artist with a excavator. There was one last year where they tore down top two stories of a house a tree mangled, and left the floor deck intact for rebuild.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#49]

It's also a little scary how quickly a piece of equipment like that can completely remove something we humans spent months and a lot of money to build (no not this mobile home, but he could tear down a stick-built house just about as quickly.)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DECOY51:

Burn it or bring in an experienced operator. Video below for time reference.

ETA: The videoclip below was 5 hours and 3 dump truck loads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RILZ1CJXV6E

Subscribe to Dirt Ninja on youtube.

Get your mind blown.  It's what happens when kids grow up playing video games and with excavators, then get the state of the art equipment.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By hkx3:
Rent me a 10 to 12k pound mini Ex with a hydraulic thumb, I'll drive down and demo that in a matter of hours.

Keep the roll off dumpsters coming. 

At one point I owned 2 kubota KXs and it was easy
View Quote

Appreciate it, will keep you in mind for sure
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top