Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2018 12:21:45 PM EDT
Had a one day recovery from moderate symptoms. I have to say, I was impressed.

It looks like a solid product that can keep you from hospitalization and mostly functioning shortly after taking.

Definitely a good idea for a stash, along with IV bags.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
JKM,

Glad you are feeling better.  I was in the pharma business for 38 years with the company that marketed Tamiflu (Oseltamivir).  I happened to be around when the drug was launched and involved in the marketing of it until my retirement.  One thing I saw firsthand was that no two patients responded in the same way.  Some took Tamiflu starting within 24 hours of onset of symtoms and like you, really noticed a rapid improvement and shorter duration of symptoms.  Others found it made little difference and seemed to run a full duration of the flu.  The original studies showed about a 1.3 day reduction of symptoms.

With that said, if you can afford a prescription, and you see a physician within 24-36 hours of onset, it's worth taking Tamiflu.  Also, effective as a prevention in case someone around you has been diagnosed and may of infected you.

As far as keeping a stash, it's getting pretty hard to get a doc to write the drug unless you actually have the flu (unless you have a good friend).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit was magic for me a few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Risk vs reward.

Without getting into what-if scenarios, it "could" make a real difference. People are dying all around us in modern day...bad stuff.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The stuff is like a miracle. 24 hours after symptoms I was a lot better. I was pissed as I had a flu shot and take care of myself
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I read earlier in the week something interesting about Tamiflu. It seems the clinical trial data was not interpreted quite right. When a group of medical academicians studied the raw data and physician reports recently (after a decade of asking for it), they determined there was no definitive evidence that taking Tamiflu reduced the likelihood of hospitalization or death. Their determination on whether it reduced the time to overcome the infection was inconclusive. That being said, if taking it helped you, it's a keeper for you. Unfortunately, for most folks, they won't know whether it's effective or not until they get the flu. Even then, it appears to only be effective when taken within 24 hours of the appearance of symptoms.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The stuff is like a miracle. 24 hours after symptoms I was a lot better. I was pissed as I had a flu shot and take care of myself
View Quote
As I was reading up on Tamiflu, I came across an article that indicated the effectiveness of this year's flu shot was only 37% in the US. For the Australians, it was 10%, or basically ineffective. They said there was a flu shot that was more effective because it used a 4th strain that was closer to the strain that's kicking everybody's butt this year, but that particular flu shot was much more expensive and not very widely available.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#8]
There's been a lot of research on Tamiflu. Briefly, it is not not a very effective medicine at all. At best, it possibly shortens the duration of flu by about 15 hours and has many side effects.  It is generally not recommended for healthy people with the flu.  I am glad it appeared to work for those of you that replied, but the data say otherwise.

Now, since this is the survival forum, maybe it's worth having a couple doses in case we see an antigenic shift and a nasty pandemic flu (which we are statistically past due for). I might take it then. Otherwise, I personally wouldn't take Tamiflu.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The meds did more than shorten the total duration.
I went from being almost overcome with weakness/dizziness to being able to function.
Compared to previous sickness, it was a great improvement.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The meds did more than shorten the total duration.
I went from being almost overcome with weakness/dizziness to being able to function.
Compared to previous sickness, it was a great improvement.
View Quote
how do you know you had the flu and not something else?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Back about 2006 to 2007, during the Great Bird Flu Pandemic Scare [that never materialized, thankfully]...

I can't begin to imagine how thousands/millions of folks spent how much $$$ purchasing Tamiflu, from overseas pharmacies, that are mentioned here from time to time.

They [OSP's] REALLY CLEANED UP...

Now all that stuff is sitting somewhere -expired.

Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

how do you know you had the flu and not something else?
View Quote
Swabbed for strep and flu....positive for flu.

Most here talk about fishmox and meds that have value. Since people are dying from this, it seems pretty intuitive to me.

iirc the exp was 2024. There was stuff on the news months ago suggesting that the potency of a lot of meds was fine well after expiration. Had to do with the gov's emergency medication supplies and periodic testing.  Not a sweeping endorsement of expired meds, but something to research on a case by case basis.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I read earlier in the week something interesting about Tamiflu. It seems the clinical trial data was not interpreted quite right. When a group of medical academicians studied the raw data and physician reports recently (after a decade of asking for it), they determined there was no definitive evidence that taking Tamiflu reduced the likelihood of hospitalization or death. Their determination on whether it reduced the time to overcome the infection was inconclusive. That being said, if taking it helped you, it's a keeper for you. Unfortunately, for most folks, they won't know whether it's effective or not until they get the flu. Even then, it appears to only be effective when taken within 24 hours of the appearance of symptoms.
View Quote
I doubt you are going to find many clinical studies of "common" anti-infective agents that concentrate on reduction of hospitalization events or death.  They are usually studied for plasma/tissue concentrations and clinical outcomes in terms of "days until cure/improvement".  Tamiflu was one of those rare instances where outcomes were measured solely in terms of reduction of symptoms.  If I remember correctly the original data, as reflected in the package insert, only stated that symptoms were decreased by X% in X number of patients.  If, like the OP, you feel better in a day or two, then you are among the successful and your money was well spent.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I came down with the flu last Saturday. Called the doc Monday AM. Got tamiflu by noon and was on the mend by Tuesday afternoon.
This is the worst flu I've ever had. The fever and chills felt a lot like Malaria, not quite as severe, but close.
So yes, Tamiflu worked for me. As for keeping a stash - I don't think it will work well. Stuff like that generally don't keep well. What do I know - I'm not medically trained.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Do they sell Tamiflu for fish?

Rancher
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I've personally had it save my ass twice.  First time was 3 days into flu symptoms, swab test came back positive for swine flu.  I'd been 103-104 fever for 2 days, within 4 hours of taking the first dose of Tamiflu, my fever was under 100 and I could function again.

Second time was less dramatic but just as effective for me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I came down with the flu last Saturday. Called the doc Monday AM. Got tamiflu by noon and was on the mend by Tuesday afternoon.
This is the worst flu I've ever had. The fever and chills felt a lot like Malaria, not quite as severe, but close.
So yes, Tamiflu worked for me. As for keeping a stash - I don't think it will work well. Stuff like that generally don't keep well. What do I know - I'm not medically trained.
View Quote
IIRC, Tamiflu keeps VERY well..

If stored properly, even better...
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Had to use it.

my dad almost died.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Our 9 month old baby got the flu Sunday night, diagnosed Monday. Was running a 103-104 fever until yesterday when he started on Tamiflu. Fever around 99-100 today, major improvement. I'm convinced.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Like Supercrew,  I too spent years in the pharma business.  It's laughable to read the comments here.  Nothing is hated more than 'big pharma', and yet, nothing is more depended on to keep folks alive.   :)
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Like Supercrew,  I too spent years in the pharma business.  It's laughable to read the comments here.  Nothing is hated more than 'big pharma', and yet, nothing is more depended on to keep folks alive.   :)
View Quote
That may have been true decades ago. Now, not so much. Problem is, somewhere along the line so-called "big pharma" stopped looking to find cures and started developing "treatments" that would generate a perpetual revenue stream. That, and Birch-Buyh gave them the results of taxpayer-funded research with nothing in return. We've also seen a few of the so-called "big pharma" firms get caught falsifying and/or cherry picking clinical trial data and/or ignoring reported side effects. Of course nowadays, commercials on the boob-tube spend 10 seconds giving you the drug name and the rest of the minute listing side effects ranging from hayfever to hemorrhoids, liver failure, and spontaneous human combustion. Same thing with drug ads in print.

Bottom line is there are many times far more effective treatments which are not big-pharma produced.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

As I was reading up on Tamiflu, I came across an article that indicated the effectiveness of this year's flu shot was only 37% in the US. For the Australians, it was 10%, or basically ineffective. They said there was a flu shot that was more effective because it used a 4th strain that was closer to the strain that's kicking everybody's butt this year, but that particular flu shot was much more expensive and not very widely available.
View Quote
Anecdotal,  my wife and I are both physicians.  Seems those getting hospitalized with Flu A this year did not get the vaccine.

Based on the last month, in our area.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Anecdotal,  my wife and I are both physicians.  Seems those getting hospitalized with Flu A this year did not get the vaccine.

Based on the last month, in our area.  YMMV.
View Quote
That’s what my ER buddies are saying.

I got my shot. Got the flu. Took the tamiflu and was better in a day
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:53:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Neuraminidase Inhibitor Resistance Testing Results on Samples Collected Since October 1, 2017

The majority of recently circulating influenza viruses are susceptible to the neuraminidase inhibitor antiviral medications, oseltamivir (available as a generic version or under the trade name Tamiflu®), zanamivir(trade name Relenza®), and peramivir(trade name Rapivab®); however, rare sporadic instances of oseltamivir-resistant and peramivir-resistant influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses and oseltamivir-resistant influenza A(H3N2) viruses have been detected worldwide. Antiviral treatment as early as possible is recommended for patients with confirmed or suspected influenza who have severe, complicated, or progressive illness; who require hospitalization; or who are at high risk for serious influenza-related complications. Additional information on recommendations for treatment and chemoprophylaxis of influenza virus infection with antiviral agents is available at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/antivirals/index.htm.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:08:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Now, I rarely get sick at all, but I've had the flu once or twice in my life... never had to go to the hospital though.

What's the deal... are people going to the hospital with flu symptoms like the first time the feel bad or after days of getting their ass kicked?
Only times I ever remember getting the flu it passed in a day or two. But at no point did I feel like a hospital visit was in order.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Like Supercrew, I too spent years in the pharma business. It's laughable to read the comments here. Nothing is hated more than 'big pharma', and yet, nothing is more depended on to keep folks alive. :)
View Quote
Bullshit. You should try working for a major oil company and travel to the west coast or the Northeast. Everybody drinks the "Hate the oil companies" koolaid.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:44:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Bullshit. You should try working for a major oil company and travel to the west coast or the Northeast. Everybody drinks the "Hate the oil companies" koolaid.
View Quote
In Good Arfcom fashion...

Hate Both!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#28]
It did not work for me. I had to stop taking it because it made me feel worse.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#29]
It ork d for our family last week with Flu B.

Seeing people local in West TN dying from flu. Tamiflu liquid and 30mg doses for kids are out of stock at Walgreens, Fred’s etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Seeing people local in West TN dying from flu. Tamiflu liquid and 30mg doses for kids are out of stock at Walgreens, Fred’s etc.
View Quote
Cut the tabs?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Cut the tabs?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cut the tabs?
Capsules.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Evidence for Tamiflu isn't great, but it's largely all we have, so we throw it at people, especially the immunocompromised, elderly, and infants.

Better to have a broad spectrum agent for when you get a secondary bacterial infection than Tamiflu, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Im glad it worked for you all. Tamiflu is the only drug I've taken where I've experienced side effects. I went from feeling awful to feeling like I was going to die. It happened quickly.Nasea, throwing up, and massive diarrhea.I was dehydrated in no time at all. I stopped taking the medicine and the side effects went away as soon as the drug passed through my system. It took alot longer for me to get back to 100% as well. But I cant say that was because of the Tamiflu.

Now I'm not saying don't take it. I'm just relaying my experience with it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 2:56:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Doc tried to give that to our Son. Said nope and went home.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Do they sell Tamiflu for fish?

Rancher
View Quote
If you trust all day chemist they have Oseltamivir for about 1/6 the cost of a prescription here.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#36]
The wife had the flu last year. Literally went from bed ridden, to 95% normal within 24 hours of taking Tamiflu. I've heard mixed things, but I was impressed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top