TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 11 of 25)
Page / 25
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:36:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By high_order1:
I'll do one better: It's item 163923691372

Nagoya NA-22 Dual Band with Gooseneck

According to the Reuex Industrial (nagoya's current brand owner) sales department, they don't make it. lol

I'll get someone to sweep it eventually if it even arrives. I just kind of liked the styling. Especially on a shoulder mike, if it was short enough. Oh well lol

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/LBIAAOSwwD1duPeI/s-l1600.jpg
View Quote
Yea, I've gotten the longer version of those, sold under ABBREE/"Nagoya"/HYS/TWOWAYRADIO brands.  The one I tested meters ok on 70cm, but the SWR on 2M was 25+.  With this shorter one, even if it gives good SWR readings, I can't see that being an efficient design on 2M...  It's like those stubby 3 inch dual band antennas, they might work okay for short range like talking into a hotspot or something, but don't expect long range performance.

I'd buy one of these too just to test it out of curiosity, but it looks like all the sellers are just in China, and I'm on a self-imposed buying freeze of cheap chinese junk until this Wu Flu blows over.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:51:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MustyWaffles] [#2]
Originally Posted By OutlanderSystems:
What?

I like them a lot. My only complaint is that you're limited to 16 channel names total, if you're programming via FPP.

Everything about them seems better built than the TRI148. The TCA 148 comes from the factory with an 18650 battery adapter and charger.
View Quote
Whats the update on your TCA 148? I’m about ready to pull the trigger on one.

@OutlanderSystems
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a package coming next week, spent 7 days in customs We will see...
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:36:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LTCetme] [#4]
Dude

IF they made a commercial grade portable radio that functioned like a ham radio on a pricepoint that was less than my first car... it would be a literal license to print money. (I realize how impossible that is, especially with regulation and licensing, but like the baofengs, occasionally someone says fuckit and does it anyway).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chR15:
I think there is a small niche here for a decent product.
Dude

IF they made a commercial grade portable radio that functioned like a ham radio on a pricepoint that was less than my first car... it would be a literal license to print money. (I realize how impossible that is, especially with regulation and licensing, but like the baofengs, occasionally someone says fuckit and does it anyway).
Hams like VFOs. Commercial users want to program once and never again. The product model and market do not overlap.

The closest you can get is a commercial or public safety radio with FPP.

I've got a lot of years programming Motorola radios and the closest I can get you is a FPP XTS or APX radio.

A used XTS 2500 with FPP can be had for a few hundred bucks. An APX is going to cost a lot more but they can be multi band and the FPP interface is much smother.

ETA:
XTS2500 VHF with FPP for $285

I couldn't find any FPP APXs with vhf and uhf but they do pop up for around 2k or so.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:12:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pbjunkiee] [#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:
Prc-1060 from Russia
mill connectors, 30-88mhz

Says hed consider selling his RF5800 too
1.6-60mhz am/fm 1-20w

https://www.ebay.com/itm/the-rarest-DATRON-PRC-1060-military-VHF-radio-transceiver-to-your-collection/264612809151?hash=item3d9c2709bf:g:gpsAAOSwEX1d8JtZ
View Quote
Yeah, hard pass on the 1060, no one still really uses 6m FM. Its got a few advantages over 2m/440, if you are operating in the middle of nowhere and can mount a decent sized antenna. But you can get old school 6m mil radios for a fraction of that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:
Tri-Band looks like it is in stock?
https://www.tacticalgeartrade.com/tri-an-prc-152h-u-v-h-tri-band-handheld-radio-multiband-edition.html
View Quote
Backordered.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Backordered.
View Quote
Forever.

Same as it was the other 5,487,281 times people linked to that site in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Guys with the TCA 148, what batts are you using? Seems the protected cells dont fit, look to be slightly too thick because of shrink wrap.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:35:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chR15] [#11]
Thanks! Batteries should be here today and it seems the manual is in wingdings, is there a english version somewhere? Batteries without the extra cover and the protection fit perfect.  I figured some of the manual out using google translate for my phone. Also, does the charger have a auto shutoff after it's done charging(since only the unprotected cells fit)?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes the charger appears to shut off and go green. Thanks for the google translate tip .   I also need to figure out a new MODEL  TCA 148 .  R.M.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#13]
No problem, good to hear.  It definitely gave me a nostalgia of the PRCs I carried over seas. I will be posting mine to the EE due to a schedule of full time college, job, and having a wife who is needing alot more help due to being 7 months pregnant and the issues coming with it. Just not enough time right now for the hobby.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]
6809 popped up on ebay
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#15]
New to the HAM business. How difficult are these to program?
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RedRiverPatriot:
New to the HAM business. How difficult are these to program?
View Quote
A little tedious, but not bad. About 30 seconds per frequency.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I've following this discussion for a few weeks which led to the purchase of a new TRI PRC 152 10w version.  Since I'm currently in self quarantine and bored out of my mind I figured I'd try to get this beast up and running.  I mean how hard could it be, especially with a ton of YouTube videos on the radio.  Boy, was I wrong.  It seems that all the videos are for earlier versions and the mechanics of programming this thing are not the same.  So far almost everything I try leads to "NO-CCH" on the screen.

Is there a site someone can point me to where the steps to program freqs are available or can someone post the steps here please?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the same radio and have honestly never seen the screen say "NO-CCH". I can't even guess what that could refer to
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I can manually key one frequency and it works.  I just can't figure out how to save it and and info associated with it such as PL.  I'm totally flying blind since I have no example for programming.  I know someone here has the steps I need for programming.  I'm guessing everyone is tied up with the Corona stuff at the moment.

The good news is the FM radio works well...

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Warlord2:
I can manually key one frequency and it works.  I just can't figure out how to save it and and info associated with it such as PL.  I'm totally flying blind since I have no example for programming.  I know someone here has the steps I need for programming.  I'm guessing everyone is tied up with the Corona stuff at the moment.

The good news is the FM radio works well...

View Quote

It's really not hard. I believe the menu choice is WRITE CH
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got a TRI-152 in(latest version) and I can't get this U94 PTT 6-pin connector to seat whatsoever. Wrong 6-pin connector(I thought they were all the same)? Suggestions?

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#22]
lick the o-ring.

Not a joke response.

Or lubricate it with something non-conductive.  Back in the day, we just stuck our tongue in there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By IronBalaclava:
Just got a TRI-152 in(latest version) and I can't get this U94 PTT 6-pin connector to seat whatsoever. Wrong 6-pin connector(I thought they were all the same)? Suggestions?

https://i.imgur.com/9JF29C2l.jpg
View Quote

Lightly lube the inside of the female connector body with a small bit on your fingertip, staying away from the pins, of preferably silicon plumber's grease, but white lithium or even vaseline will work.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#24]
This. Literally spit on the o-ring.

Originally Posted By Yeehaa:
lick the o-ring.

Not a joke response.

Or lubricate it with something non-conductive.  Back in the day, we just stuck our tongue in there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#25]
lick the o-ring.

Not a joke response.

View All Quotes
lick the o-ring.

Not a joke response.

Originally Posted By GunnyG:

Lightly lube the inside of the female connector body with a small bit on your fingertip, staying away from the pins, of preferably silicon plumber's grease, but white lithium or even vaseline will work.

Originally Posted By OutlanderSystems:
This. Literally spit on the o-ring.

Here I was thinking this Chicom 6-pin was out of spec. All the above worked! Thanks, fellas.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#26]
alright.. I've read the thread and I'm still trying to figure these out..

I see listings for both TCA and TRI that have different "speaker vent designs" one is an upswept design with larger vents, the other is much smaller round(ish) vents covering the same area.

Then there is the PRC-152A with the bump out and stubby antenna on the back.. (what is that about ?)

I see "encription" on some of the listings as well, I assume that's just a lie?

I've got several TidRadio/Baofeng UV5Rs..
I've also got a couple Yaesu VX-7Rs..

I dont use any of them much, but I've thought about getting my ham a couple times..

I'd rather have computer access to programming (which looks like it's only available with the TCAs - at the cost of 5W vs the TCIs 10W)..

I do have full comm Sordins that I use for shooting ear-pro..

what's the move here? get one of these or just continue to use what I've got?  
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By tapered-pin:
alright.. I've read the thread and I'm still trying to figure these out..

I see listings for both TCA and TRI that have different "speaker vent designs" one is an upswept design with larger vents, the other is much smaller round(ish) vents covering the same area.  Cosmetic between the two brands, TCA is the rectangle holes and TRI is the rounded ones.

Then there is the PRC-152A with the bump out and stubby antenna on the back.. (what is that about ?)  Cosmetic, the real Harris radio has models equipped with a GPS module, and that stub antenna is for it.  On the Chinese replicas, it does nothing.

I see "encription" on some of the listings as well, I assume that's just a lie?  Both brands have the ability to do voice inversion/scrambling.  It's about as useful to call it "encryption" as would be to use pig-latin.

I've got several TidRadio/Baofeng UV5Rs..
I've also got a couple Yaesu VX-7Rs..

I dont use any of them much, but I've thought about getting my ham a couple times..

I'd rather have computer access to programming (which looks like it's only available with the TCAs - at the cost of 5W vs the TCIs 10W)..

I do have full comm Sordins that I use for shooting ear-pro..

what's the move here? get one of these or just continue to use what I've got?  
View Quote
IMO, use what your have already, unless you want to spring for one of these for their looks or something.  They are fairly rugged compared to the other radios you have, but really don't have any greatly useful additional features, especially since you don't even use your current radios anyway.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By tapered-pin:
alright.. I've read the thread and I'm still trying to figure these out.. 

I see listings for both TCA and TRI that have different "speaker vent designs" one is an upswept design with larger vents, the other is much smaller round(ish) vents covering the same area. 

Then there is the PRC-152A with the bump out and stubby antenna on the back.. (what is that about ?)

I see "encription" on some of the listings as well, I assume that's just a lie? 

I've got several TidRadio/Baofeng UV5Rs.. 
I've also got a couple Yaesu VX-7Rs.. 

I dont use any of them much, but I've thought about getting my ham a couple times.. 

I'd rather have computer access to programming (which looks like it's only available with the TCAs - at the cost of 5W vs the TCIs 10W).. 

I do have full comm Sordins that I use for shooting ear-pro.. 

what's the move here? get one of these or just continue to use what I've got?  
View Quote

The “encryption” is just an inversion scrambler. Not a lie so much as useless.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#29]
But these things interface with Comtacs via Nexus and Peltor PTTs, right? No more looking for specialized adapters.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By PFran42:
But these things interface with Comtacs via Nexus and Peltor PTTs, right? No more looking for specialized adapters.
View Quote

I use mine with a TCI setup.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By PFran42:
But these things interface with Comtacs via Nexus and Peltor PTTs, right? No more looking for specialized adapters.
View Quote

Yes, they do. If it has a U-174 connector, it'll work. And in fact, the current generation of TRI may even give you a bit more utility, since you can switch between using either a dynamic or electret microphones.

I have a peltor PTT that I use with a David Clark UAV single-side headset.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:51:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#32]
So if these "airsoft toys" are hardened Baofengs in an AN/PRC-152 form factor... Can use real batteries... Can be used with real PTT's... Can be plugged in to real comms/headsets... Fit inside real AN/PRC-152 pouches... can connect to real antennas... are water proof/resistant...

Then I can definitely see a use case... and I can see paying a few hundred dollars for one.

The only real issue I have at the moment is... What do I do in 5 years when it breaks? I have a couple boxes of UV-5R's and BF-F8HP's set aside for SHTF so I am wondering how hard it would be to do open heart surgery on one should the need arise.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:46:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#33]
But these things interface with Comtacs via Nexus and Peltor PTTs, right? No more looking for specialized adapters.
View Quote

This is the reason to get them IMO.  I’ve got one yaesu PTT and one baofeng/kenwood PTT.  

But I’ve got 3 of the 6 pin .mil PTTs that I’d rather use (since they’re not $100/ea) with my Sordins.  One of the headsets is a dual comm setup and I’d like to have the option if I needed it to talk to two different teams..

I think I’LLC probably grab a couple of the TRIs since they’re a little more rugged than anything else I have..
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Plus you can also do this

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:04:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#35]
lol, sure , but I don’t know what that is...

Between this thread and swapping over from bayonet to dovetail on my NV / thermal... it’s an expensive week... Almost as expensive as her mother’s day present...
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#36]
So which TRI do we buy if we want a very robust Baofeng?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#37]
So which TRI do we buy if we want a very robust Baofeng?
View Quote

@PFran42 the link below was a seller recommended from my research of several sites.

TRI AN/PRC-152 MBITR RADIO W/ REAL152 BATTERY Seller: shiqinxi_0
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:

@PFran42 the link below was a seller recommended from my research of several sites. 

TRI AN/PRC-152 MBITR RADIO W/ REAL152 BATTERY Seller: shiqinxi_0
View Quote

Thanks!

What do we call this one? The Aluminum 10W 152? Which is one step below the $500 Tri-band?

(just trying to get on the same page as everyone since TRI appears to be idiots when it comes to model differentiation - by use of logical model names).
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:53:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#39]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Thanks!

What do we call this one? The Aluminum 10W 152? Which is one step below the $500 Tri-band?

(just trying to get on the same page as everyone since TRI appears to be idiots when it comes to model differentiation - by use of logical model names).
View Quote
The tri-band model with 10-meters no longer exists.  It was a very limited production run from 2-3 years ago, and they have not made them since.  Some Chinese stores still seem to advertise they have them, either out of ignorance or because they are shit at running a webstore, but you cannot find them unless you fall into one in the used market.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
The tri-band model with 10-meters no longer exists.  It was a very limited production run from 2-3 years ago, and they have not made them since.  Some Chinese stores still seem to advertise they have them, either out of ignorance or because they are shit at running a webstore, but you cannot find them unless you fall into one in the used market.
View Quote

@D_Man

So what is this one? It is listed as in stock.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

https://www.tacticalgeartrade.com/tri-an-prc-152h-u-v-h-tri-band-handheld-radio-multiband-edition.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Add it to your cart and it will show not available. Same for the 117 which is what I want for my hummer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:

Add it to your cart and it will show not available. Same for the 117 which is what I want for my hummer.
View Quote

Gotcha...

So this is "The One"?

https://www.tacticalgeartrade.com/tri-an-prc-152-aluminum-walkie-talkie-multiband-5w-10w-ipx-7-metal-prc-152.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#43]
It says that if you plan on using 10W, you need to select the 12.6V/10W battery. When I go to make the selection, both options appear the same. Which one do I pick?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:05:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#44]
I was asking this earlier..

Here are two of the TRI PRC-152s and they have different speaker venting..
(both are the 10W version, correct?)

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Welcome to the wonderful world of Chinese grey-market electronics, where the designs change on the fly, the product descriptions are full of half-truths and mistranslations, and you roll the dice with every purchase.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By tapered-pin:
I was asking this earlier.. 

Here are two of the TRI PRC-152s and they have different speaker venting.. 
(both are the 10W version, correct?)

https://www.tacticalgeartrade.com/media/wysiwyg/TRI/20170402_113858b.jpg
View Quote

I don't think so. Only one has "10W" in the description.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:55:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tapered-pin] [#47]
I don't think so. Only one has "10W" in the description.
View All Quotes
I don't think so. Only one has "10W" in the description.

that image wasn't pulled together by me, that was from the description in the link above from the "go to seller" page...
2nd image from the bottom in THIS LINK

I've seen both images used seemingly interchangably between both TRI and TCA for the "PCA-152 item" being sold from each respective manufacturer.

Originally Posted By D_Man:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Chinese grey-market electronics, where the designs change on the fly, the product descriptions are full of half-truths and mistranslations, and you roll the dice with every purchase.

I guess so... lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Honestly this is one of the few times I stay away from US based sellers on these radios unless they are well known and can prove they have the latest version. From some of the Chinese sellers you are getting the most current and updated version. From a US re-seller you may be getting an older model as they bought in quantity and unknown source. Its a gamble either way. Several people have had good luck with the seller I mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:32:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#49]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:04:38 AM EDT
[#50]
I wouldn't characterize any of them as 'hardened'.

There are a couple of private individual type companies that work on these things, but there are no oem spare parts, nor repair manuals, nothing.

Again, I'd still like to see one working tri band. One.

I'm still waiting on the vaporware version. Dude teased a pic of what appears to be a shit copy casting of the front half of a 152. (Shrugs)

Honestly, people would be better served by buying an airsoft shell and figuring out a way to run a baofeng from inside it...
Page / 25
TRI AN/PRC-152 (Page 11 of 25)
Top Top