Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 2/26/2023 12:27:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Good idea for a hangout thread.
I like it.
And I'd live where they drive tractors to school haha!
Went and visited the grandkids today and made tacos with them.
The parents are going to get into honey bees this year so that'll be interesting.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:54:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 12:00:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SigOwner_P229] [#3]
Tractor drive in day is common among rural schools during National FFA Week (last week). I did it when I was in school more than 2 decades ago, my school is still doing it. I still remember one year it was single digits, 2 of the 3 tractors we drove were open station...and one was a hard starter and took a bit of heat to get it started...it was a memorable morning.

Oh, ETA, my school also has tractor drive in day for the elementary students. They can bring their pedal tractors to school that day and they do a little parade through the cafeteria...
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:57:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SixpackinOk] [#4]
I wouldn't do much posting in a thread like that probably but I would enjoy reading it. It's not that I wouldn't post in it, I just wouldn't have anything worth saying usually....I have a pretty boring life overall, LOL.

ETA: That was my way of saying I think it would be a great idea.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 3:24:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SigOwner_P229] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:
I wouldn't do much posting in a thread like that probably but I would enjoy reading it. It's not that I wouldn't post in it, I just wouldn't have anything worth saying usually....I have a pretty boring life overall, LOL.

ETA: That was my way of saying I think it would be a great idea.
View Quote

I have a bad habit of glossing over old threads, pinned threads, etc. And I also like to maintain a little OPSEC so my conversations would never be truly open about who I am. Those that I'm closer to on here know who I am because they either know me in-person or because I've opened up to them via private communications. I have mixed feelings about such a thread. I would definitely read it, but I can't be certain I would post in it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the idea. It's certainly a better location to post than in GD where everyone wants to be edgy or just crap post, and a good way to share with other like minded folks beyond just guns.

That Tractor/School day thing is really cool. I like in a small rural town, but it's the poorest county in AZ, so I don't think that there are many tractor owners around. If I still had school age kids, I don't know that I would let them embarrass themselves by driving my little Kubota to school.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the thread idea, but I would mostly be a reader, as I've not done much as far as homesteading goes, except for my garden, which seems to grow every year.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#10]
My suggestion would be create a signal chat group.   Almost every hometown forum has their own (East TN has at least 2 or 3) that are pretty conversational life event driven, so creating a signal group for homestead would be pretty convenient.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By azjogol:
I like the idea. It's certainly a better location to post than in GD where everyone wants to be edgy or just crap post, and a good way to share with other like minded folks beyond just guns.

That Tractor/School day thing is really cool. I like in a small rural town, but it's the poorest county in AZ, so I don't think that there are many tractor owners around. If I still had school age kids, I don't know that I would let them embarrass themselves by driving my little Kubota to school.

View Quote
Hey man, Kubota are nice tractors!
Don't get me wrong, they're no John Deere but still nice haha.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Man I wish my local school had a tractor day. They probably did many decades ago, but those days are long gone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:30:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452] [#13]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:

I have a bad habit of glossing over old threads, pinned threads, etc. And I also like to maintain a little OPSEC so my conversations would never be truly open about who I am. Those that I'm closer to on here know who I am because they either know me in-person or because I've opened up to them via private communications. I have mixed feelings about such a thread. I would definitely read it, but I can't be certain I would post in it.
View Quote

Same here to a degree, though I'd still probably post some commentary now and then.

Funny story on the OPSEC front, years ago I bought a very scenic piece of property to build on. Ended up sitting on it and built elsewhere, but that's another story. Anyway in my excitement, I posted about it here on ARF with lots of pics. It was on a back road that's not at all heavily travelled, figured there was no harm OPSEC-wise. And what happened, someone here living on the other side of the country spotted it, recognized it as the property across the road from where he grew up, and chimed in with some details I probably wouldn't have given. In a panic, I immediately deleted all the pics and had a mod nuke the thread.

The guy who spotted it was a cool guy though. Got talking to him after that, even met him a few times out there when he was home visiting family.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By PA452:

Same here to a degree, though I'd still probably post some commentary now and then.

Funny story on the OPSEC front, years ago I bought a very scenic piece of property to build on. Ended up sitting on it and built elsewhere, but that's another story. Anyway in my excitement, I posted about it here on ARF with lots of pics. It was on a back road that's not at all heavily travelled, figured there was no harm OPSEC-wise. And what happened, someone here living on the other side of the country spotted it, recognized it as the property across the road from where he grew up, and chimed in with some details I probably wouldn't have given. In a panic, I immediately deleted all the pics and had a mod nuke the thread.

The guy who spotted it was a cool guy though. Got talking to him after that, even met him a few times out there when he was home visiting family.
View Quote

With 1 active user account for every 1,000 US residents the world is a lot smaller than many here think it is. I would be a fool to think no other member is familiar with my property. Although my house is off the road 3/4 mile, I have a recognizable driveway near the road. If I were to post pictures I wouldn't be surprised if someone recognized it. So I try to be careful what I say...
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the hangout thread idea

I'll contribute some small uninteresting items from time to time
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

yeah, I think it's appropriate to be careful about persec, no matter the forum.   I see people posting stuff that I think, "dude, that's not something I'd post (small children, etc).  Better here than in GD, but $24 does not guarantee a decent character.

I have realized that everyone has a different level of "I'm okay with that."  I've actually reached out to some people and said, "do you want to post that?"

And they're like, "yeah, I'm okay with it."

Up to each person. Some folks are over-the-top cautious, others, way more lax than I think is a good idea.

View Quote

Over the years I've become more protective of PERSEC on here. There's been many times I post something, get to thinking about it and go back and delete it all.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm struggling with work to find the time to get to arf.com regularly but I look for that to change on april 15th so I'd vote to have a thread like this one.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By PA452:
Man I wish my local school had a tractor day. They probably did many decades ago, but those days are long gone.
View Quote

The high school I went to had gun shows in the cafeteria as a way to help raise funds for the sports teams.  $20 for an 8' table, $3 at the door.  The shows ended as the company in town expanded and hired people from out of state that complained.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought my new rural place a year and a half ago. I went from 6 acres to 43 acres. I also bought the entire pole barn of stuff from the former owner. I am thinning the herd on my stuff . I sold an MGB and 3, John Deere 140's, 2, Cub Cadet lawn tractors as well as a really old Ferguson TO-20. I have no idea how much stuff there is here there is stuff parked in the woods behind the old pole barn( there are two pole barns the old one is falling down.)  

I need to buy a scrap blade or a planer for the driveway
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I impressed myself today by hanging a gate

All the gates at the farm were hung by either my grandfather or my dad, and I was too young to help at the time so it was a new experience. It will ever so slowly swing all the way open when unlatched- good enough I guess

Several others are in pretty bad shape so I need to replace them as well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Snow coming down in WI currently.
Some plowing in my future.
I'm ready for summertime!
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for starting this!

GD is getting tiresome.

I'm looking forward to the rain stopping long enough to do some projects outside.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Supposed to get into the 20s here next week (for the low).

Are y'all gonna get a surprise cold blast too?
View Quote
Yeah, 20's at night for the foreseeable future. Even a couple of nights in the teens.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
Snow coming down in WI currently.
Some plowing in my future.
I'm ready for summertime!
View Quote

I'm over in west central MN. The forecast is for 5-10" on Saturday/Sunday. Enough already!

It's going to make it tough to gather sap, like last year.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Pics or it didn't happen.

No, seriously, that's better than I could do!

View Quote

Best I could do right now, that wedge is a placeholder until I get the other gate post installed. Bonus: I need to sink the rest of the posts coming up the hill and string wire.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#34]

I'll be breaking out the extra sheets and covering my flowers best I can.

View Quote
What's the average temp this time of year in KY?
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm glad to find this forum.

My wife, kids and I are working on building more self sufficiency on our 7 acre plot in NW Oregon.

Lots to do this spring...
convert stable to new shop
paint tractor barn roof to fill old nail holes
get two beehives up and running
maintainence on 65 mustang, tractor
replace engine on "farm truck", 92 diesel hilux
refill woodshed (LONG winter this year)
fix house eaves (bugs and bats getting in)

rebuild garden
expand chicken run
plant more fruit trees (bad luck last two years, most new trees died when temps hit 110F)
prune existing fruit trees
finish piping the spring to the new orchard, and into a storage tank

that should do it
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:

My wife, kids and I are working on building more self sufficiency on our 7 acre plot in NW Oregon.

rebuild garden
expand chicken run
plant more fruit trees (bad luck last two years, most new trees died when temps hit 110F)

that should do it
View Quote
Damn, sounds like you have your work cut out for you
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:

rebuild garden
expand chicken run

that should do it
View Quote

Your list sounds like mine!

We are trying to be more sustainable as well...

My partial list is....

Build steel building (all the pieces are here, just need the weather to break)
Build second greenhouse
Build chicken coop and pen
Expand garden so we can grow medicinal herbs/plants
Expand clover field for the bees/pollinators, but has to be rabbit and elk proof
Get more fruit trees and protect from elk
Expand berry fencing, (damn elk) since the berries have spread and need more room

That's a few of the items that need immediate attention. Good thing I work full time, too!

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By azjogol:

Your list sounds like mine!

We are trying to be more sustainable as well...

My partial list is....

Build steel building (all the pieces are here, just need the weather to break)
Build second greenhouse
Build chicken coop and pen
Expand garden so we can grow medicinal herbs/plants
Expand clover field for the bees/pollinators, but has to be rabbit and elk proof
Get more fruit trees and protect from elk
Expand berry fencing, (damn elk) since the berries have spread and need more room

That's a few of the items that need immediate attention. Good thing I work full time, too!

View Quote

If I printed your list and walked around my property, I would be able to follow it to a T (with exception of steel building standing by, mine is wood)
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#39]

OMG.  EVERYTHING is blooming here.  And it's gonna be 27 on Tuesday night.

Have I said the blooms in spring are what keep me going every year?

Yeah.

*hangs head*
View Quote

I like this, great idea!

And speaking of blooms (buds, in this case), we had an ice storm a few weeks ago that took down a large number of trees and limbs. I gathered up a bunch of downed maple limbs from the neighbor’s property, as she can’t get out to do that stuff anymore.

Anyway, I pulled them out back, to trim them and use the larger sections for firewood. The buds on the limbs were already coming out, and the deer have been feasting on them almost every night. Kind of like a treat for them, I guess.

Neat to watch now, but I know I’m creating monsters for garden planting season!
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Technically the average is around 50 degrees for the high and 36 for the low. But that's sort of misleading because March is a month of seasonal change for us.

Also, there's a considerable difference from Louisville or Covington (kind of the "top" of Kentucky and where I live, which is only 15 minutes from the Tennessee line.  Eastern KY also tends a little cooler, too, in my experience, and I live in west-central.

So even taking that 50/36 average....
It normally starts out more like February (winter) and ends more like April (spring).

Not always, of course, but usually, by mid-march, we are all starting to trust the warming trends a little too much (cuz there is usually a cold snap near the end of march).  When I was growing up, we planted lettuces and peas and cabbages in March, and by the end of March, first of April, we were looking at planting potatoes.  So it could start out with lows in the upper 20s, low 30s, but by the middle of March we are usually seeing just barely a dip for one night into the "cover the flowers" territory.

This year March isn't really so different from the average, but because of the exceptionally warm January and some in February, we've got some trees leafing out about two weeks early, and a lot of more tender flowers are coming up and some are blooming.  26 degrees on Tuesday night will turn those blooms to mush.

To be truly safe from frost in the spring, you would need to wait until early May. But most people look at about April 15th, and just plan to cover stuff they care about when we get the occasional light frost after that.

It's that whole, "don't like the weather, wait a day. It's Kentucky."  It's absolutely true.
View Quote
Interesting.
I grew up in MN and moved to WI when I got sick of the Twin Cities so all I know is 5 months of winter every year since I was born...
One of these years I'm going to drive south for my Birthday until there isn't snow and find something to do for a week in nice weather!
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 2:50:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#44]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:37:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#45]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#46]

When is your birthday?  I will tell you how far south to drive.

ALSO...you could just...move south.

I have several friends who spent their growing up years, AND many years after that, in the Chicago area.

They moved to Nashville (It's no secret I was a songwriter and worked down there for a long time...they were there for the same reason).  So they moved down there and said, "Why did we put up with that weather for all those years?"

Along with the Joeyconomy AND the political polarization of the northern cities versus the countryside around those cities, I kind of understand why a lot of people are leaving those areas and heading south.

I mean for real.

It's freaking FREEZING up there all the damn time.  

There is sun.  Trees. Green leaves and soft grass.

In APRIL.

Why does anybody stay up there?

I ain't sayin you should move, but...

Why wouldn't you move?

ETA:  I mean, we are kinda nice down here and...there is this thing called "sweet tea."

Yeah.

Nobody should live where there is not sweet tea.

Honestly I think living without sweet tea (with lemon) is the first level of Hell.

View Quote
Mid Jan.
How far south do I need to go?
I don't mind having seasons but winter gets longer the older I get...
It's a very difficult thing to do when starting over in a different state.
I did it once and don't know that I want to go through it again.
I should at least travel south at some point.
When I was younger I did quite a bit of traveling in the Western US and south, just not Eastern US and south.
That might change soon though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#47]
The talk about how far south to get to get out of “winter”…….

We have two places in Illinois. One in suburban Chicago and one about 100 miles north of the Kentucky/Illinois border.

One has a  “winter” season
One has “mud” season

Here’s the forecast for both locations.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#49]

I suggest middle Tennessee.  Specifically Southeast TN if you like hills.  Nashville is great for music but it's a city, so I never choose that for a vacation.  I want beach or the Appalachian mountains or a harbor town.  Gatlinburg is a fun place to go. It is touristy, but lot of arts and not just tourist trap places.  The smoky mountains are wonderful, though January is about as ugly as they get.   A cabin somewhere in the mountains would be a very nice getaway if you'd rather avoid people.  

If you want a beautiful, truly warm January destination, choose Savannah, St. Augustine, or even Charleston.  There is lots of interesting architecture, history, etc in any of those three destinations. However, they are also "cities" but not in the same way Nashville is.  The history and old buildings make it different.

I would have to go all the way to Florida to feel "warm" in a normal January, but you are used to much colder, snowier weather.    I think you would likely think any of those places is warm.
View Quote
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll research these areas a bit and hopefully have a good plan for a future birthday.
I'd like to take a NV class from Robert at JRH at some point too down south.

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top