Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 11:39:53 PM EDT
TH-D74A is discontinued.
Allegedly AKM, the DAC and ACD chipmaker had a fire.
There is no more details on a replacement, or if there will ever be one.

I was going to buy this model when I finished reading/studying and finish the exam. Now it's too late
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/TH-D74a-to-be-discontinued/22-699047/

Good to keep it on the first page, if you find one somewhere, I would scoop it up, but good luck with finding one.

They still have repair parts in stock.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the next best flagship HT?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the next best flagship HT?
View Quote

I had a D74 on order, I cancelled and got an FT3D. I dont know if its better or worse, but its a neat little radio, and the battery lasts a long time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I had a D74 on order, I cancelled and got an FT3D. I dont know if its better or worse, but its a neat little radio, and the battery lasts a long time.
View Quote

The battery on the D74 was definitely the weak spot.  I'm glad I saw this thread and grabbed an extra battery before they become unobtanium.  You did well getting an FT3D.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I ended up having to buying used.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the ham YouTube guys mentioned in a video kenwood was dropping out of the ham market they thought and said they would update in a later video.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Kenwood has been rumored to be dropping out of the ham market for the last 25 years.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have FT3DR. Physical form is very nice. Buy a fast charger. There are several nuisances such as it interferes with itself. Its LCD backlight interferes when dimming, changing the knob interferes and breaks squelch, sluggish menus, Bluetooth has constant hiss in the background. Keying up makes a weird crackle. For a Yaesu, it is an embarrassment.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:17:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The battery on the D74 was definitely the weak spot.  I'm glad I saw this thread and grabbed an extra battery before they become unobtanium.  You did well getting an FT3D.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That, the screen, the price, and the OS. Cell phones have excellent resolution and extremely intuitive interfaces. I swear ham HT designers have never used them. It’s a shockingly expensive radio for what it is.

Comparatively tiny screen that scratches easily and has an appallingly low resolution and a super clunky UI. I almost never grab the d74a when I need a handheld.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That, the screen, the price, and the OS. Cell phones have excellent resolution and extremely intuitive interfaces. I swear ham HT designers have never used them. It’s a shockingly expensive radio for what it is.

Comparatively tiny screen that scratches easily and has an appallingly low resolution and a super clunky UI. I almost never grab the d74a when I need a handheld.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still haven't figured out how to use the UI properly - I need to look around for either a video or a step-by-step tutorial by someone who has totally figured it out...

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have FT3DR. Physical form is very nice. Buy a fast charger. There are several nuisances such as it interferes with itself. Its LCD backlight interferes when dimming, changing the knob interferes and breaks squelch, sluggish menus, Bluetooth has constant hiss in the background. Keying up makes a weird crackle. For a Yaesu, it is an embarrassment.
View Quote

I haven’t used the Bluetooth yet, so I have no opinion on it. I have not noticed any of your issues. Perhaps they updated something on mine? I had planned on getting a rapid charger, but the battery lasts me a long time so I don’t think it would be worth it yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top