Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2019 5:15:15 PM EDT
I'm intrigued.

whats the consensus? Some say it good others not so much.
I like the idea of bringing it to camp and the convenience, there's 4 of us with the kids, (teenagers not toddlers).

I'd post a picture but alas, I CAN'T!

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Sue-Chicken-without-Giblets/dp/B00E3AYVA8
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I got it once and was disappointed. It was a lot of stock with less chicken than if I bought a whole chicken at the grocery store.  I expected it to be cram packed with solid chicken.

And then to debone it was a hassle for the result.  Resolved to just get the cans of chicken breasts pieces or equivalent if I had to do without refrigeration. Taste was good, but not worth it for the hassle and quantity.

ETA:  Just reread your post. For 4 people you say?  Better bring lots of other canned goods or go hungry.  Also, this is way overpriced. The one I bought at the grocery store was about $6 or $7 dollars, not $25. A whole 6 pound chicken in the deli is going to be that or maybe even less.

Just get a whole chicken and a bag of ice for your cooler.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]
$25 seems kinda steep to me?

Unless they threw in the appropriate side dishes.

This item:Sweet Sue Canned Whole Chicken without Giblets 50oz Can (Pack of 1) $25.34
Creamed Possum in Coon Fat Gravy Garnished with Sweet Potatoes  $6.49
Rose Pork Brains Sampler - Two (2) 5 Ounce Cans $7.98($3.99 / Item)
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#3]
We use to take canned chicken moose hunting for something different.

Quit because of the bones and very little meat for the cost.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
To expensive I buy the canned breast meat at sam's and its pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I get the cooked chicken breast retort pouches. 16 ounces of Mahatma Yellow Rice, two cans of cream of mushroom soup, and two pouches of the cooked chicken will easily feed four people, and only takes one pot.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#6]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj_BNCDECIA
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 4:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Can't or won't...
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 4:19:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I get the cooked chicken breast retort pouches. 16 ounces of Mahatma Yellow Rice, two cans of cream of mushroom soup, and two pouches of the cooked chicken will easily feed four people, and only takes one pot.
View Quote
Whats the real shelf life on those retort pouches?

@GreatDane
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure on the canned whole chickens.... But I had a can of sweet sue chicken and dumplings because it looked good and I try stuff before I stack it deep..

Could not even finish the one can. It was disgusting.

No more sweet sue for me.

Edit.. I do store the walmart brand canned chicken meat. That stuff is GTG
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweet Sue canned chicken is overpriced GARBAGE.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#11]
WAY too expensive. You could goto your local grocery store and buy chicken breast + jars for the same price end up with a TON of chicken to pressure can.

The commercially canned cubed chicken I buy is about $3-4 per can. For $10 though you can end up with enough chicken breast (or whatever part you want to chop up) for a couple weeks worth of meals.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I use Knorr dry chicken stock to augment the canned chicken meat and/or rice.  A tiny spoon full will season a whole pot of whatever and it keeps for a long time in the cabinet.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not just buy the higher quality canned breast meat in volume at Costco or Sam's?

Our local Costco has a few different canned chicken vendors to select from.  Same with the canned tuna.

That Sweet Suzy poo shit is awful.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Prolly comes out that way on exit as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I've canned cut up chicken, bone in. Doesn't look like much but it's delicious. The broth is very rich and because of the dark cuts the breast meat is moist and flavorful.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Related to the Sweet Sue Chicken and Dumplings, do yourself a favor and try the Dinty Moore Chicken and Dumplings! Trust me it is the closest thing to homemade that I've found. At Walmart, it's also cheaper than Sweet Sue!  
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@GreatDane
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@GreatDane
@007

Sorry for the lag man, I guess you don't get notifications of @'s when you don't have a membership.

I can't tell you about "long term" shelf life, the longest I've had a pouch last in my pantry is about six months. It was perfectly fine after that time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#19]
@GreatDane

Maybe i did it wrong, i received your @.  

I have eaten them, being a year old or so also, and they were fine. Was hoping someone had tested them further out.

I just had a mountain house spaghetti that was the old style packaging, the other night. I think it was purchased about 2009 in vegas at an rei. It was excellant. I forgot the noodles come pre-cut up also.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the sweet sue chicken and dumplings.  It does seem to need a little simmer time in the pot though for best results.

Kind of like freeze dried eggs, they're best if you actually cook them a bit in a pan.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Do it yourself, we can and eat about 10 of these annually, in my AO a whole Amish chicken is about 5$, they are delicious.
1/2 gallon canniing jars

How to can boned chicken in a pressure canner

Deboning a whole chicken without cutting the skin
Deboning A Whole Chicken, Without Cutting The Skin.#SRP
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do it yourself, we can and eat about 10 of these annually, in my AO a whole Amish chicken is about 5$,  they are delicious.
View Quote
Amish chicken?

Does that come served up with a big hunkin' slice of hot baked apple crumble pie? As Rachel Ray sez, 'YUMMO!
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Amish chicken?

Does that come served up with a big hunkin' slice of hot baked apple crumble pie? As Rachel Ray sez, 'YUMMO!
View Quote
Nah, it means the locker plant down in Darlington stocks freezer chickens raised on an Amish farm just outside of town. 8# avg size. We place an order and get 'em fresh. I eat chickens but hate raising them and leave it to the experts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not a fan of long term storage of poultry products.  I have 32 laying hens an a roo and that will keep us in eggs and meat.  For long term storage, I like pork.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of long term storage of poultry products.  I have 32 laying hens an a roo and that will keep us in eggs and meat.  For long term storage, I like pork.
View Quote
I like pork, but between the chicken, turkey, and pork canned-meals for keeping long-term, the sodium content of the pork meals will typically be much greater than the poultry, which ain't good  -  especially for folks only marginally in shape  -  since a high-sodium diet impacts blood pressure.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm intrigued.

whats the consensus? Some say it good others not so much.
I like the idea of bringing it to camp and the convenience, there's 4 of us with the kids, (teenagers not toddlers).

I'd post a picture but alas, I CAN'T!

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Sue-Chicken-without-Giblets/dp/B00E3AYVA8
View Quote
I did a review about a decade ago, pics are still on my photobucket account but they went Capitalist on us so I can link them.

-I liked it.

It is indeed a whole cooked chicken in a can, with broth and not water. It came out as a whole bird, but was fairly mushy to work with in separating the meat from the bones. IIRC, I got enough meat for 3 well provisioned chicken sandwiches.

So I bought more.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sweet Sue canned chicken is overpriced GARBAGE.
View Quote
Last time I bought it was locally maybe 6 years ago, it was $6 or 7 a can.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine didn’t have all the jelly in it, just liquid chicken stock.

If you guys want some really good canned meats and stews, go to a polish grocery store. Canned food is one thing they definitely do better than us.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#29]
The "jelly" is from rendered connective tissue. It's what makes a nice rich broth. If it's not in the can I wonder if they cooked the chicken first, then cooled it to remove it for cosmetic reasons, then canned it, thus cooking it a second time.

My home canned chicken might not be pretty but it all looks the same in a recipe and the collagen would provide added nutrition.

I really need to do a few more batches. I'll wait till the weather cools off so I don't hear up the house. At least pressure canning doesn't heat the house up nearly as bad as water bath canning. It's really easy to can meat. Much easier than making jam and stuff.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I had some dinty moore chicken and dumplings. Let tell ya....I love chicken, but the shit that was "chicken" in that focker was shit. I dont know what the hell it was...but it tasted like some fish with a metal hint to it. The rest was good, but tossed the so called chicken.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#31]
A few years ago I opened up a can of the Sweet Sue chicken and dumplings. I had a dozen cans the wife bought on sale.
The contents of the can were a bloody mess of nastiness.

My kids took one look at it and started retching. My oldest daughter said she would eat the neighbors dog before she would eat that.

I emailed Sweet Sue and they told me that happens sometimes, but recooking it should make it safe to eat.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Oddly enough, I enjoyed Sweet Sue Chicken and Dumplings back in the 1970s. Hadn't had if for decades.  Tried it again about 10 years ago.  It was the most foul thing I'd eaten in a long time.  I'd rather eat dog food than that.

Either my tastes did a 180 in the intervening years, or their quality has gone way down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top