Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2024 10:06:57 PM EDT
So I have a chance to re-barrel a rifle to 25-06. Barrel will be a 25” Shilen.

I always wanted a quarterbore, but want to run it suppressed using one of my 30-cal cans.  Main use will be whacking coyotes (so 90grn bullets).

My question is:  how short did you cut and thread the barrel for use with a can?  In researching the shortening of 25-06 barrels generally it seems the consensus is to not shorten below 22”, for otherwise you lose effective velocity for this cartridge.

Anybody done this, or similar with a predator/varmint caliber?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 12:28:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing wrong with a longer barrel for predator hunting.  For years I shot a .243 AI with a 26" barrel with a Savage target action.

Sounds like you'd be reloading and using faster burning powders can still take advantage of shorter barrels if you decide to go that route.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
Nothing wrong with a longer barrel for predator hunting.  For years I shot a .243 AI with a 26" barrel with a Savage target action.
Sounds like you'd be reloading and using faster burning powders can still take advantage of shorter barrels if you decide to go that route.
View Quote

Was your .243 AI suppressed?
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:25:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joe731] [#3]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
My question is:  how short did you cut and thread the barrel for use with a can?  
View Quote

None.  It was a 24" Rem 700
It was extremely long and a little cumbersome.
But it was quiet
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I grew up shooting mule deer in the Oregon high desert and it was as flat and accurate as anything.  Like a fool I sold that rifle but years later I had an old Mauser rebarreled to .25-06 with a 26" Shilen barrel.  I shoot 120 grain Nosler Partition bullets into 1 hole at 100yds.  Took my first and only Antelope with it.  With my rifle and load I'd use it on Elk if I had to but have other custom Mauser rifles for that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Update: we decided to cut the Shilen barrel to 22” and add a direct thread 5.56 mount. The mount will be internally reamed to .30-cal to accommodate passage of a .257 projectile.

The mount will host a light-weight 30-cal can which will add some amount of back-boost to bullet velocity and hopefully offer decent sound suppression.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Why wouldn’t you just put a direct thread 30 caliber mount on it?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]
im in the middle of doing the same thing, but I bought my barrel from someone that had a shilen barrel on the shelf ad left it the length they had. I think its 26", heavy sporter profile. The only thing I changed was having them cut threads for a direct thread 30 cal suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bushyvmtr:
Why wouldn’t you just put a direct thread 30 caliber mount on it?
View Quote

Barrel thickness when cut to 22” wouldn’t accommodate the a 30-cal mount.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:24:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#9]
Originally Posted By fulminate:
im in the middle of doing the same thing, but I bought my barrel from someone that had a shilen barrel on the shelf ad left it the length they had. I think it’s 26", heavy sporter profile. The only thing I changed was having them cut threads for a direct thread 30 cal suppressor.
View Quote

We just decided leaving the Shilen tube at factory length would make the end result (long barrel + 30-cal can) too unwieldy for night hunts in the farm fields. The idea is to have a dedicated bolt rig for coyotes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Check in the silencer forum, but the owner of Ecco Machine hunts with a suppressed 25-06, I think.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
Check in the silencer forum, but the owner of Ecco Machine hunts with a suppressed 25-06, I think.
View Quote

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top