Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2023 11:12:45 AM EDT
Have Android phone with fairly large screen and also have Wayz installed for driving.

What are my best options for a Land Nav App?  Ideally free, but I don't mind paying a reasonable 1-time fee for reasonable goodies.

Hopefully will display color maps with contour lines etc.

I'm entirely ignorant on the subject, so If I have left out some important things, please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have GPS coordinates.

Only used it s few times trying to find property markers.  Don't know if you can land nav with it though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
I have GPS coordinates.

Only used it s few times trying to find property markers.  Don't know if you can land nav with it though.
View Quote
You have what?  Link, please.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t know anything about the topic but what about off-roading / hiking maps?  Here’s an article.

https://automadesimply.com/guides/best-off-road-navigation-apps/
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Gaia GPS - Not free, worth the $$$
Pulls in MVUM, USFS, Parcel, Public land maps, lets you track lots of status & replay tracks

OsmAnd is the free app I've seen lots of folks use biking & motorcycling
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanx for good suggestions and examining them closely.

Still open to further suggestions!
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Onx or huntstand  for property boundaries
Gia GPS for hiking
Back country navigator for 4 wheeling

-P
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I like OsmAnd.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I have ONX and Garmin Explore
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fish223:
https://www.onxmaps.com/

apps for android and iphone

free and paid versions

awesome product
View Quote

Onx is defiantly the best IMO.  Getting the year subscription for a single state makes it even better.  It makes your phone a usable GPS for the most part and while I prefer a dedicated GPS adding the Onx makes it a good backup, or for a time when you don't have your actual GPS with you.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had Backcountry Navigator for years.  It has served me well.  You can import and export tracks and points.  You can save offline maps.  I paid a one time fee for it.

Recently I purchased Onx OffRoad with land ownership.  The maps and ownership information is up to date.  You can import and export tracks and points, save offline maps, comes preloaded with many trails, has satellite, topo, and hybrid maps, and a 3d feature.

The land ownership makes it worth it for being out west.

It is an annual fee.  You can easily find a 20% discount for the first year.  I have it installed on multiple devices.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#12]
CalTopo
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, all!  Still evaluating, and no decision made yet.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:19:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#14]
If you have access to good PDF maps and are willing to download new maps for new areas, Avenza is good and free.  Used it for work for about 5 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top