Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2021 6:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demphna2]
I've used a subsonic round once before that resulted in a kill shot at 100 yards. Nasty exit wound in the brain, pig dropped and never moved. I decided to try it out again and placed a shot in the neck/head area of a bigger boar. He dropped, stayed down and squealed for about 3 seconds, got his back feet under him and hauled ass out of there. My question is:
Where did I hit that sumbitch for him to do that?

My theory from reviewing the blurry video is I hit him right in his jaw and the bullet shattered it, but not enough for a kill shot.

For reference:
AR308 using 190 gr Sub X reloads going 1025 fps. Grouping under an inch.

Trijicon MKIII 35mm. Why I couldn't spot exactly where I got him. Got video on my phone, but it's blurry and I have no idea how to post videos.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Lung shots kill everything quickly.

Nothing goes far without an intact lung.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
This doesn’t really answer your question, but I’ve killed a lot of domesticated hogs, and the .22 to the brain isn’t what kills them, rather the knife to the base of the neck.  So if the hog doesn’t get stabbed just right in the 3 to 5 seconds that they are stunned, they can sort of shake off that head shot and be back in action.
I’ve seen one jump up and run off, with a bullet to the brain more than once.  Fortunately I have never had one of mine not die the good quick easy death.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
Lung shots kill everything quickly.

Nothing goes far without an intact lung.
View Quote
The brush in parts of Texas is so thick that it's easy to lose animals that only run 20 yards. You have to experience it to believe it.

The rule in our little circle, learned from hard experience, is JFKs only.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't answer the question either without a necropsy. But I have seen the brain exposed and some animals still clinging to life. Never under estimate an animals will to survive. You could have just clipped a vertebrae and stunned the pig. Or the lower jaw. It sucks but if you hunt long enough shit happens that is hard to explain.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#6]
https://photos.app.goo.gl/K9NJ4M2uSLGdYk7u7
I think this should allow you to see what happened. It's blurry as shit, but couldn't get the phone to focus.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:57:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#7]
Originally Posted By Demphna2:  Subsonic 308
View Quote
I think you spelled ".300 Blackout" wrong.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
I think you spelled ".300 Blackout" wrong.
View Quote
I shit canned that project for later. Couldn't get the Lehigh 194s to shoot
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Demphna2:
I shit canned that project for later. Couldn't get the Lehigh 194s to shoot
View Quote

Apparently the 308 subs can't either...

All joking aside I assume you're using a bolt action? This is why I generally use an AR10. Quick follow up shots available when needed.

I tried the subsonic 300BLK as well but the reduced noise did not equate to less "spooking" of the game. If a sounder sees one of their own go down they scatter. Supersonic 300BLK is a little nicer to walk around and seems to work almost as good as full power 308.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PlayFront36:

All joking aside I assume you're using a bolt action? This is why I generally use an AR10. Quick follow up shots available when needed.

I tried the subsonic 300BLK as well but the reduced noise did not equate to less "spooking" of the game. If a sounder sees one of their own go down they scatter. Supersonic 300BLK is a little nicer to walk around and seems to work almost as good as full power 308.
View Quote
Man, at least I hit the sumbitch. I couldn't say the same for the 300 blackout subs. It looked like a shotgun pattern on the target with the Lehigh's. LR308 is what I was using. The sucky part about using subs in that is having to manually cycle. And I didn't load a second subsonic in the magazine to follow up. Using a Trijicon MKIII, so different zero profiles.

I used a subsonic round on a pig in a sounder just to see what the sounder would do. The shot didn't spook them, the thump in that pig's brain is what made them scatter.

Mostly I am trying to use subs on scout boars and single hogs. It's a challenge, but it is badass when it works. The whole shot placement thing I'm still working out

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Man, at least I hit the sumbitch. I couldn't say the same for the 300 blackout subs. It looked like a shotgun pattern on the target with the Lehigh's. LR308 is what I was using. The sucky part about using subs in that is having to manually cycle. And I didn't load a second subsonic in the magazine to follow up. Using a Trijicon MKIII, so different zero profiles.

I used a subsonic round on a pig in a sounder just to see what the sounder would do. The shot didn't spook them, the thump in that pig's brain is what made them scatter.

Mostly I am trying to use subs on scout boars and single hogs. It's a challenge, but it is badass when it works. The whole shot placement thing I'm still working out

https://i.postimg.cc/T3gM5k4P/IMG-20210117-001746349.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PlayFront36:

https://i.postimg.cc/T3gM5k4P/IMG-20210117-001746349.jpg

My cousin has been using a Lee 200gr powder coated bullet for years in his .308 and .300BO. That long bullet can do some impressive damage when it tumbles. I need to try them in my wife’s Ruger American in  .300BO.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Sounds like a logical use case. I generally let the scout snack until his friends arrive then blast the biggest at the feeder and try and pick up any runners I can hit. Though in typing this I wonder if I should plug the smallest first and then shoot the big ones on the run...
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 1:52:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#13]
I've had 3 hogs get knocked down from "head" shots and then get up and run off.  One with 308 and two with 223.  The one with a 308 I actually saw it go down and squeal for a couple seconds before running off.  I ended up shooting and killing that one that I had done this with using the 308 about a year later.  Didn't notice that it was the same pig until I found the scull after it had been picked clean and there was a hole in the top of the scull...assume it was a glancing blow and the area had healed.  That hog survived until I shot it a year later. amazingly tough animals.  I certainly can see this same type of thing happening with subs.

This topic comes up every so often...so I kept the pics handy.  Here you can see the scull with the damaged area on top that appears to have healed a bit.  The hog in question is the one on the bottom in the second pic.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 2:00:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#14]
Originally Posted By newBMowner:
I've had 3 hogs get knocked down from "head" shots and then get up and run off.  One with 308 and two with 223.  The one with a 308 I actually saw it go down and squeal for a couple seconds before running off.  I ended up shooting and killing that one that I had done this with using the 308 about a year later.  Didn't notice that it was the same pig until I found the scull after it had been picked clean and there was a hole in the top of the scull...assume it was a glancing blow and the area had healed.  That hog survived until I shot it a year later. amazingly tough animals.  I certainly can see this same type of thing happening with subs.

This topic comes up every so often...so I kept the pics handy.  Here you can see the scull with the damaged area on top that appears to have healed a bit.  The hog in question is the one on the bottom in the second pic.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119115/hit_JPG-2191320.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119115/hogs_JPG-2191322.JPG
View Quote

One of the Natives I knew back in Alaska head shot a black bear with a 243 and it dropped DRT in a creek……..so he thought. Found water in the lungs and no hole in the head. He knocked it out and it drowned he got lucky.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By newBMowner:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119115/hit_JPG-2191320.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119115/hogs_JPG-2191322.JPG
View Quote
Holy shit
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I did that a few years ago.  220 grain 308 at 1050 FPS at 30 yards, right behind the ear hole.  Ended up killing him about 4 months later.  Tiny scars in the fat behind his head, maybe 1.5-2" above the spine and 1" behind the skull.  Knocked him down, flopped, ran off.

It was the night of Eli Manning's first Super Bowl win.  My wife and  Ispent maybe 1.5 hours crawling around in briars.  She still holds it over my head.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top