Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2019 5:43:42 PM EDT
I want to keep about a year's supply of pet food around. But the kids say that the animals don't like it and won't eat it unless they have to because it goes stale.

What do you do about storing pet food in case there is a supply chain interruption?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I buy mine at a store where turn over is good.  Expiration date is usually about a year.  No issues having 10-12 months on hand.

If the balloon goes up, its time to revert to original dog food:  All the bits and pieces of crap food you don't want to eat. Is it "ideaL"? Nope.  But it worked well enough to entice wolves to hang around the cave long enough to become domesticated, and for the 10,000 years since.  Fido gets the meat scraps, left over rice, and the three day old chili that is kind of borderline.....
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]
5 gallon buckets with threaded lids, the kind that has a little o ring. 55 gallon drums stored where sun and rain can't get to them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
5 gallon buckets with threaded lids, the kind that has a little o ring. 55 gallon drums stored where sun and rain can't get to them.
View Quote
Quality drum you can pull a vacume on.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#6]
This will vary by what you feed the pet.  In many cases the oils might go rancid depending on where and how you store it.

Air change out in the container is a big deal, I would rather have cheap dog food from wally world stored in 55 gallon drum than just sitting on shelf.  Bag might be ok, but rodents and stuff can chew into bag.

I am not going to mylar pack and seal my dog food, but 55 gallon drum is no biggy.

Galvanized cans can be found if you look.  Wally world had a cheap flimsy one last year, not sure if it will be back for this year.  Tractor supply should also offer some.  For food I am using, galvanized can is better height and size to work out of.  Drum is rotated every 8 months or so depending on when I think of it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I use food grade 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids. Buy the biggest bulk food bag you can find and dump it into the buckets. Seems to keep things fresh for at least 6 months when in rotation. They seem to eat it all same as new from the bag. Just keep lids spun on tight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top