Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2017 7:40:12 AM EDT
Anybody else here hunting the Rock this fall?
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like no interest in hunting the Rock...here's why we do

Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Here we go again. Was successful in the 2018 lottery. Will be returning for the Rez hunt at the end of October. Seems odd no other ARF members have found this jewel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Alcatraz???
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alcatraz???
View Quote
Ah no, the Standing rock Sioux reservation in South Dakota...my bad.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm enrolled with the tribe but have only spent a week of my life there. Wonder how hunting works for members?

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm enrolled with the tribe but have only spent a week of my life there. Wonder how hunting works for members?

CHRIS
View Quote
Affiliated tribal members tags are 195 which is 300 cheaper than non member. Tribal members pay 5 bux and have first crack at deer. but even at 495 I'm not complaining...it's worth it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting. Do you use a resident guide? Had any problems? Where do you stay?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
We stay in Mobridge at a friends house. As far as problems no not usually as long as a person knows exactly where one is. There have been a few issues but we have the game and fish warden on speed dial. Sometimes if we get out in the west end of the county we hire one of the licensed guides just to make sure we stay on tribal turf but honestly if a person is at all skilled in deer hunting filling a tag is no problem.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn. So you guys are hunting the Rez without a guide? I am not signing up for that.

How did you start doing this?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Simple, there are not nearly enough guides to go around so a platt map defining tribal and private land is available right from game and fish. The wardens are easy to get along with and will point a person to the areas that are open to hunting and will actually help with advice. We do get checked from time to time and I can assure you I have NEVER hunted anywhere else and been thanked by a warden after the check. It does take some homework and experience to find your buck but it's hunting and nothing is more rewarding than a early morning spot and stalk. Why would you not try your skill if I may ask?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#11]
We spot and stalk mule deer. Rifle and archery. Been at it a couple years and getting better for sure.

The Rez part of it is what concerns me. Some amazing country in those areas. I would love to explore it, but it makes me very, very nervous to be there. Are you interacting with tribal game wardens?

We hunt all public land west river. This fall we will hunt antelope with rifles, mule deer with our bows, hopefully whitetails with our rifles, and my wife is going to use her points to draw a cow elk tag. We will hunt the last weekend in September through the last week of December. She is a new professor and I am in nursing school, so I may be a little optimistic about what we will have time for, but that is the plan for now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#12]
With a West river tag you are allowed to hunt on private land within the Rez. That is something we have considered doing along with the Rez tag but permission to the private land may be difficult. I'm not sure how difficult and don't know what the general feeling out there is because we hunt tribal. I can tell you this though there are some monster mulies out there. Trespass is the number one complaint...get past that and it's a fantastic place...guess that could be said about any hunting ground.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I went to their hunting page. Very interesting. We use OnxMaps everywhere we go so not scared of boundaries. I suppose like everywhere a mile from the road and you are alone.

How are the draw odds? Do you draw almost every year?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#14]
This was the second year draw. A person may purchase 5 entries and apply with 5 as a group totaling 25 chances. We have been drawn both years. Does your mapping product cover the Rez? That would be a huge plus...so far no GPS will do that...at least what I looked at.

A mile from the road is common but it's open country so one never knows when the eyes are upon ya...
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe we don’t talk about hunting the rez because we don’t want even more people competing for tags...

(I don’t hunt the rez but I’ve been invited to and have been considering it. I had an antlerless tag in 2016 and was going to hunt the corp land but a bunch of out-of-state paid anarchists invaded the place and trashed it. FBHO. )
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know if OnxMaps shows land ownership information for the reservation. Looking at the map on the tribal website that is really confusing, and I don't see them trying to figure it out. SDGFP online Atlas shows plenty of detail, including satellite veiws, but only public land ownership information.

As far as competition I have a hard time believing this post, or any for that matter, is going to drive people to Standing Rock. Or any reservation. Not at $500 a tag. State tag is less, hell Wyoming is only $360. I find it interesting as I am always looking for options.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah that competition theory has way too many unanswered questions and frankly I think it's just so much BS... As far as the map being confusing ya it is. There is no substitute for hands on. Everybody has their input...I simply could care less...I'm goin huntin in October and will finish the story then  
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome. Look forward to hearing more about it.I will look into map stuff a little more and get back to you.

We were on Crow Creek yesterday snagging paddlefish. Caught a nice fish.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#19]
See the buck?

Me either  

Tags make mighty thin soup  

and we looked everywhere...

Oh well there is always next year  
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.wideopenspaces.com/this-tag-soup-recipe-will-leave-you-hungry-for-more/

ETA: Looks like a neat chunk of land, reading the map, I'm assuming Green means private? Is Yellow tribal owned private? What colors are all huntable?

http://gameandfish.standingrock.org/image/cache/SRST_Game_andFish24by20.pdf
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL. I looked and looked before scrolling down.

We didn't fill either. Short on time and looking for whitetails in mule deer country. Found a huge mule deer, just didn't have the tag to go with it.

Either way we saw some amazing new country, found some beautiful mule deer, and got to spend a couple days traveling and hunting together.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#22]
We had state resident whitetail tags out there this year and were able to fill opening weekend. I got a decent 4x4 and my brother a doe. First time hunting the county, unbelievable amount of reservation hunters from all over in the area. Not a ton of competition from them as they were hunting tribal ground.

Beautiful country, I really enjoyed it. Saw some really nice mule deer as well, which was neat.

Nothing like the mile pack out when you get a deer on the ground, Badlands pack worked well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top