Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2020 8:35:58 PM EDT
Anyone else here like shooting gobblers?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
A buddy of mine and I were actually out scouting yesterday. Pretty excited as this will be my first year turkey hunting. I don’t know why I never go into it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a Tom strutting and gobbling in my pasture today. The hens didn’t seem to interested.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope. Can’t stand it.

DSC_2111 by FredMan, on Flickr

DSCN0178 by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_0415 by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_2413_Turkey2015-lzn by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_2524_Turkey-lzn by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_5294-Turkey Pose by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey-870  20170414 by FredMan, on Flickr

Fred Gobbler by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey FS by FredMan, on Flickr

Gobbler Fan SBS 20190428 by FredMan, on Flickr

Beards by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By deerhuntercrt2:
A buddy of mine and I were actually out scouting yesterday. Pretty excited as this will be my first year turkey hunting. I don’t know why I never go into it.
View Quote

I've been for 3 years and have never killed one yet.

But OMG every time I hit a call and a gobbler responds, it is every buck i killed rolled up into one adrenaline dump.

There is just something about talking to an animal over a hundred yards away and waiting for him to come in to you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:26:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#5]
Originally Posted By Riflenoob:

I've been for 3 years and have never killed one yet.

But OMG every time I hit a call and a gobbler responds, it is every buck i killed rolled up into one adrenaline dump.

There is just something about talking to an animal over a hundred yards away and waiting for him to come in to you.
View Quote

That’s it exactly.

Convincing Tom you’re a sexy sexy hen who’s just begging to get some action.

Last thing Tom thinks in the world is “I’m gonna get LAID!!”  Then BLAMMM!!

ETA, it took 3 years for me to get my first, and I’ve only been shut out one season since. This year will be my 23rd year chasing gobblers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I got some property that has turkeys all over it six months ago. Got two out of three for the fall season last year. This is my first spring season. The best part is that the wife unit wants to "shoot a turkey in the face" with me this year. Been watching flocks come out daily since the snow is going away. (sort of)
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Danielisright:
I got some property that has turkeys all over it six months ago. Got two out of three for the fall season last year. This is my first spring season. The best part is that the wife unit wants to "shoot a turkey in the face" with me this year. Been watching flocks come out daily since the snow is going away. (sort of)
View Quote

A friedn/client of mine bought some property, decided he'd give turkey hunting a whirl.  Had a cabin on the place, he went up the night before and camped out.

Said he woke up the next morning, was sitting on the steps drinking some coffee, and heard a gobble up on the hill.  "I went up there, called 2 times, he came running, dead in 10 minutes.  What's the big deal?"

It was 4 years before he connected again.

I encourage you to prepare your wife for failure.  The way I put it is, you have to be in the right place, at the right time, doing the right things, and STILL have to have a lot of luck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Love it. Killed my first when I was 10, practically thirty years ago now. I don’t get to go but a few times a year these days due to work and youngins.

I did get out this morning and I’ll be damned if I didn’t miss one. He caught me by surprise and spooked just as I was about to pull the trigger. Got the ticker going good though!
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By wally910:

How does that Benelli pattern? How long a barrel? That’s pretty nifty! Would ha e helped me this morning
View Quote

It patterns great with Fed Flite Control and modified.

I’m shooting 3”, 1-5/16 oz No. 5. 20 guage

Farthest kill so far is 32 yards. You do your part and the Gun and ammo does the rest!
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By deerhuntercrt2:
View Quote

Yeah, but we have over a month until opening day
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bigborehound:

Yeah, but we have over a month until opening day
View Quote

Today was the last day for my management area permit

The bird I missed is living rent free in my head right now. Just made some amateur mistakes that I know better than to make.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#13]
The Toms are strutting on my game cam! Hunting is never a sure thing but seeing lots of birds out there!
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I look forward to it every year! I am afraid I might not be able to travel out of state though as planned for a hunt. Anyone think it is considered essential travel? Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup.

I'll get out sometime mid-April to early May.

Looking forward to trying out TSS loads this spring.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By tom1000rr:
I look forward to it every year! I am afraid I might not be able to travel out of state though as planned for a hunt. Anyone think it is considered essential travel? Asking for a friend.
View Quote

I do.  But I am fortunate enough to live in a place where I can literally walk out my back door and go turkey hunting.

Farm High Oblique by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#17]
This is my first year going for spring turks
I’ve got my tag and some shells
Want to pick up a JT slate call and some diaphragms
And maybe a hen decoy
But I’m not 100% sure on the hen
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Finally decided to give turkey hunting a try.  Bought preference points last 2 years to guarantee myself a tag in the unit my buddy lives in.  They kill 6-8 birds every spring via archery on one farm, and he's got another farm that has only had 2 birds harvested off of it in the last 5 years, and he figures it's currently holding 60-75 birds.  I'll be the only gun hunter on that farm this spring.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm super stoked. Killed my first bird last year the day I bought my Stoeger.
Was very lucky

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got permission to hunt my neighbors place. I know there’s a gobbler roosting over there, so I’m pumped. Season opens Monday.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Season opened yesterday, 8 birds gobbling but none would cooperate.

Today, however, was a different story.

Easter Supper!

With the M2 20 ga SBS.   @GunCat

Turkey M2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

26 yard shot, and got extremely lucky.  Apparently there was this little 3" sweetgum about 15 yards out that was invisible to me.  Looks like it took out about half of my pattern!  Federal Premium 3", 1 5/16 oz No. 5 copper plated with the Flite Control wad.  Modified choke.  Bird did some flopping but no running.  

Blasted Sweetgum by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:43:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RRA_Nut] [#22]
Our season started a week ago.  I was able call in two birds Friday morning for a buddy who had never turkey hunted before.  We harvested both.  A great morning for sure.  Used a 835 with 24” barrel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Mississippi season is winding down. I've taken two, so far.

Killed my first bird with multiple beards. He had a 12" and and 8" beard.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I patterned my 12 ga with multiple shells. I find I have to hold about 3-5 inches left at 40 yards to get 7-12 pellets in spine and brain of target. Is this much hold typical? I likely have to work on my shotgunning but it will be what it is for this Saturday anyway.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ufgators68:

View Quote

Got a triple a few years back.  First bird with the 20 ga SBS.

DSC_5330-Triple Beard by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_5312-Turkey SBS by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I patterned my 12 ga with multiple shells. I find I have to hold about 3-5 inches left at 40 yards to get 7-12 pellets in spine and brain of target. Is this much hold typical? I likely have to work on my shotgunning but it will be what it is for this Saturday anyway.
View Quote

For me 40 yards is pushing it.  Saying that, the longest I've ever taken one was at 40 yards.  Shortest was 5 yards, and my average is 31 yards.

Are you even going to be able to judge 3-5 inches when it counts?  When your heart rate is 150 and your arms are shaking?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
Vortex Sparc II is what you seek. Have one on my Mossberg 935 and it is great for turkey hunting.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

Got a triple a few years back.  First bird with the 20 ga SBS.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1608/26055102050_4519b2a929_b.jpgDSC_5330-Triple Beard by FredMan, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/1543/26327976255_62dca3c3d1_b.jpgDSC_5312-Turkey SBS by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote
Nice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: leid] [#29]
The season for us in MS. ends Friday. But the hens are now flying down from the roost to go sit on the nest leaving the gobblers hollering for an interested hen. This makes it prime hunting time for gobblers here. Last week, the double bearded 20lb. bird below flew off the limb right to me after just 2 calls. 20 minutes after first light, I was walking back to the truck with the bird. He had been roosting with all his hens since the beginning of the season so I just could not get him interested. His fan was a bit weak for one of our mature 3-4 year old birds but the thick 1 1/4" hooks were better than average. The fan mounted below is about average for an adult tom in our area of MS. Will try to take another bird in the next few days before our season ends. Been chasing turkeys for some 50 years now in LA, MS, AL, & TX. But I credit Wilbur Primos for my addiction.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:29:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: leid] [#30]
Got my pants taken down on the last day of the season here in MS. Heard a nice bird on the limb a couple ridges over at first light. Used a logging road to sneak up within shotgun range. Surprisingly, he just drop out of the tree and start feeding at fly-down time. He was on a hillside behind a large bush so I just waited for him to feed clear. The wind was at my back but no sweat because turkeys don't smell, right? Unknown to me, there was a herd of whitetail in the tall glass just above the gobbler. The whitetail finally winded me and moved off downhill toward the Big Black River then started blowing. And the gobbler followed the whitetail alarm putting as he went. Next year!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm after this guy now.

On my game cam a day before the seaosn opened.

Gobbler Day Before Opening Day by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ufgators68:

View Quote
Tagged out last week with 2nd double beard gobbler. This one had a 10" & a 5" beard.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:12:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 30Caliber] [#34]
Came close to connecting today.  Put out a decoy on a friends advice.  Dunno if it really changed how things went down but next time if I do put it out, it'll be about ten yds away and somewhat concealed.

This week is the first time I've tried turkey.  Got an ancient Win m12 with full choke std chambers and some #4's.  I'm looking for a meeting inside of 30 yds with this setup I have.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Didn't hear or see for that matter anything on Saturday for our opener.
Saturday evening at sundown a gobbler was up behind the house gobbling his head off before roosting.
This morning, I made a set up on top of the hill in that area. Placed my hen and Jake decoys out.
At first light had a gobbler down below me in the hollow.  I'm figuring 400-500 yds.
I did a couple of fly down calls and he replied back. Yelped a few times, same. But, he was still roosted.
He shut up once he flew down. Figured it's time to wait him out.
8:45 he sneaks in over my right shoulder. I had just done a Yelp call about 5 minutes prior, with no response.
He crossed about 10yds behind me and saw my decoys that were 20 yds in front of me. He putted and started that way.
He passed me at 8-12' and was puffed up and trotting towards the Jake. He had his head low going in, so I got in position and as soon as he got the the decoy he straightened up.
I let one rip and I don't know if I missed him or hit him but not vital. He ran about 10' and stopped and I dropped him.
Wish I had it on video. Never got a chance to get the shakes, as it happened so quickly.
21#
Triple beard, 9", 6 1/2", 5 1/2"
Smoked Turkey Saturday
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By bigborehound:
Didn't hear or see for that matter anything on Saturday for our opener.
Saturday evening at sundown a gobbler was up behind the house gobbling his head off before roosting.
This morning, I made a set up on top of the hill in that area. Placed my hen and Jake decoys out.
At first light had a gobbler down below me in the hollow.  I'm figuring 400-500 yds.
I did a couple of fly down calls and he replied back. Yelped a few times, same. But, he was still roosted.
He shut up once he flew down. Figured it's time to wait him out.
8:45 he sneaks in over my right shoulder. I had just done a Yelp call about 5 minutes prior, with no response. 
He crossed about 10yds behind me and saw my decoys that were 20 yds in front of me. He putted and started that way. 
He passed me at 8-12' and was puffed up and trotting towards the Jake. He had his head low going in, so I got in position and as soon as he got the the decoy he straightened up.
I let one rip and I don't know if I missed him or hit him but not vital. He ran about 10' and stopped and I dropped him.
Wish I had it on video. Never got a chance to get the shakes, as it happened so quickly.
21#
Triple beard, 9", 6 1/2", 5 1/2"
Smoked Turkey Saturday
View Quote

Nice bird!
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:15:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigborehound] [#38]
Here are some pics of my gobbler.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Got him yesterday morning on the back 60.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#40]
@camarojsmith
How long was the beard? Did he come in silent, or gobbling?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:20:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: camarojsmith] [#41]
Originally Posted By bigborehound:
@camarojsmith
How long was the beard? Did he come in silent, or gobbling?
View Quote

@bigborehound. Just under a 10” beard.

I’ve been hunting him all week and I only heard him gobble once Just before noon. The day I got him, he was gobbling like crazy. I called once as soon as they hit the ground and he came in with 3 hens.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm so disgusted with myself.

Hunted all day yesterday and got nothing.  Far-off birds.

Then at dusk, I decided to rip out a few calls from my patio.  Damned if a bird didn't gobble in the lower paddock field, right across the pond.  Hot dang!  I know where I'm going in the morning!  I know JUST where he's roosted.  Right there at a little place I like to call Turkey Corner!

So I get up a early this morning and head out so my decoy is in place and I'm all settled before dawn breaks.  As I headed down the field edge I get about half way to Turkey Corner and bust that damn gobbler off the roost.  He was right on the field edge.

What really disgusts me is a few years back I had this same scenario.  Bird gobbling at dusk, same place, but that morning I took the long way around the field and my tactics were a success.  I don't know WHY I didn't take the long way, it's not like I hadn't seen that movie before, but I didn't.  Well, I continued on to Turkey Corner, figured what the heck, maybe some other bird will be about.  45 minutes later, nothing.  Then I heard a bird gobble up by Rocky Knoll, so I headed that way, back the way I came.  And damned if I didn't bust TWO MORE birds off the roost at that same place!

As I like to say, if it was easy it wouldn't be fun.

Turkey Disgusted by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I’ve been busted many times trying to hunt birds roosted at a field edge. Makes you want to turn right around and crawl back in bed.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Mo. Season just ended Sunday. I filled one out of 2 tags. Long time til next spring!!!!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#46]
The first gobbler I ever got, I almost got busted by. I guess I was lucky enough to get in and set up before light.
When dawn hit, he was roosted 80 yds in front of me! Flew right past me when he came off the roost. Landed about 60 yds behind me.
Luckily, I had a push button box call I could use, to coax him towards the decoys on the other side of me.
It was my first time gobbler hunting and thought, this is easy. Yeah, not so much, as I learned over the years.
It isn't so much as getting one, as getting one to answer and come in to my calls. Bigger thrill than deer hunting IMO.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By FiremanBrad:
Mo. Season just ended Sunday. I filled one out of 2 tags. Long time til next spring!!!!https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187526/74B26657-9BEC-448A-B8AC-9D643D698EC3_jpe-1413411.JPG
View Quote

Please tell me you took that with the flintlock!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

Please tell me you took that with the flintlock!!
View Quote

Yes Sir!!!  I won’t use anything else for turkeys!  Close range, 20 yds max.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Got my first turkey,  nicknamed him "Ol' Seventy" because for 7 days he was 70 yards away from me,  70 yards in front of me,  70 yards behind me,  70 yards to the right of me,  70 yards to the left of me,  lol. He was henned up,  lord of his hollow,  unresponsive.  Me and my buddy backed off for 5 days,  we knew his pattern and got in tight on him.  We set a jake and hen out, cut one time about 80 yards from where he was roosted and he came in on a mission...... finally.  Was so much fun chasing this guy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top