Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2021 9:54:03 AM EDT
I’m looking over the massive threads, forgive me if this has already been answered.  I don’t need to lug it to a campsite, nor do I want it permanently attached to my house.  I’d like it mobile, with effort.  

Looking at something up to $3000, which will include propane conversion (if necessary).  

Is it better to pay for dual fuel up front, or are conversions just as good?   I understand there may be warranty issues, aside from that?   Help me.  

All the good generators are good (duh), but is there a better propane generator?

Looking at Honda and Predator at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve got 2 Honda 2200 generators running in tandem right now for the last 38 hours straight and it’s about 25 degrees out.

Running a space heater, charging devices, TV & DVD player for kids.

I wouldn’t hesitate to get a bigger Honda to connect directly to the house breaker panel & run off propane for emergencies.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both these generators. The big one weighs like 300lbs or so and is fairly hard to haul anywhere but runs everything in the summer including my a/c.

The small one is much easier to move around and uses 1/3 the fuel of the bigger one.

Both can be converted to propane.

Generators

I've had the big one for 2 years it's got about 150 hours on it.  The small is 1 year old and has about the same hours, it ran once last summer at my mom's for 5 days strait.

Fuck Honda
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve got 2 Honda 2200 generators running in tandem right now for the last 38 hours straight and it’s about 25 degrees out.

Running a space heater, charging devices, TV & DVD player for kids.

I wouldn’t hesitate to get a bigger Honda to connect directly to the house breaker panel & run off propane for emergencies.
View Quote

Where are you?   I’m in Tyler and describes what is going on currently.  

My house is wired to attach a generator to the panel (and I understand the safety and cut off concerns).  

So it’s 1/2 dozen or 6 if I get a propane generator out of the box, or do a conversion to propane.  I’d use propane all the time, only use gas if I’m out of propane and so are the propane suppliers.   Which I don’t see happening.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a contributor to the thread and still have my Harbor Freight Predator 3500 going on 3 years or so.  They are generally around $750-$800 and a tri fuel conversion kit is less than $200 from Nash Fuel for it.  Another $100 for hoses and fittings and you can run gasoline, propane or natural gas interchangeably.  I prefer nat. gas because it's cheap, continuous, reliable and safer than the other two.  Nat. gas dissipates if there is a leak, and it's lighter than air so it will not pool in a low spot like propane or gasoline fumes.  No midnight hot fueling, or bottle swaps either.  You can always fall back to propane or gasoline if need be.

Just giving you my perspective.  My longest run was only about 20+ hours, but it works well for me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I forgot to mention, I absolutely need it to output 240 volts (preferably 30 amps, but 10-29 amps will work).  4 wire required.  

Edit.  I do not have natural gas in my area.

I’m looking at HF and the 3500 does not appear to have a 240 out.   However I’m looking at it on my cell phone.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Most inverter generators do not have 220V. Champion has one now, but Honda Eu7000 is like 4K.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Most inverter generators do not have 220V. Champion has one now, but Honda Eu7000 is like 4K.
View Quote

I see that now.  

I will have to get that one.   The Honda 7000, now is there a propane kit for it?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Or get a non inverter generator?  I’ll use it twice or three times a year.  

I like the inverter ones because they are reliable and have an excellent sine wave.  

I don’t like it because of the $$$.  

Saving fuel is always great, but I can get loads of fuel for the difference in price.  

I also like the relative low noise output.  

I need it to be reliable, for a device I’ll only use in emergencies.

Educate me.   Would it be better to get the Honda inverter and run it close to 5000 watts (max 7000 watts) or get a non inverter that’s rated higher than 7000 watts and still run it around 5000 watts.  

The load attached to the generator will not change.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Saving fuel is always great, but I can get loads of fuel for the difference in price.
View Quote

There isn't a huge difference in fuel economy between inverter and non-inverter models of comparable size.

The vast majority of a generator's fuel consumption is due to electrical load - not engine speed.

An inverter generator's ability to reduce engine speed doesn't reduce the electrical load - and thus doesn't reduce fuel consumption much.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There isn't a huge difference in fuel economy between inverter and non-inverter models of comparable size.

The vast majority of a generator's fuel consumption is due to electrical load - not engine speed.

An inverter generator's ability to reduce engine speed doesn't reduce the electrical load - and thus doesn't reduce fuel consumption much.
View Quote

Thank you so much.  

For my needs with a load that doesn’t change, an inverter generator doesn’t make financial sense.  

I am so glad I asked the question.  

I guess I’m off to research tier 1.5 generators.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]
If getting a non-inverter generator, look for <5% THD in the specs (Total Harmonic Distortion).  That is what you find with the whole house units & some portables.  It means a clean enough waveform to not cause problems with some sensitive electronics (including typical battery backup UPS units).
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If getting a non-inverter generator, look for <5% THD in the specs (Total Harmonic Distortion).  That is what you find with the whole house units & some portables.  It means a clean enough waveform to not cause problems with some sensitive electronics (including typical battery backup UPS units).
View Quote

Will do.  Any quick recommendations?

I’m in the process of getting a house built, but I do not want a whole home generator.   I have reasons.  

Anyways, electrician said he’d include this generator in his final price.  Hopefully get it a hair cheaper with his supplier.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#15]
That is high praise indeed.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#16]
If I needed 240 volts & 30 amps
https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100520-8750-watt-open-frame-inverter/

There is a smaller model inverter that’s 240v

Convert it to propane  https://motorsnorkel.com/
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I needed 240 volts & 30 amps
https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100520-8750-watt-open-frame-inverter/

There is a smaller model inverter that’s 240v

Convert it to propane  https://motorsnorkel.com/
View Quote

Thanks.   That is quite a bit cheaper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top