Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2019 9:08:17 PM EDT
My 14 year old loves to hunt.  My 12 year old went last year, but has been hesitant about this year.  He finally told me yesterday that he doesn't want to go.  I obviously am not going to pressure him, but I also obviously was hoping to spend that time with both of my boys and hope they enjoy it as much as I do.

Any of you had similar experiences??  How did it pan out?
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Does he have smart phone and video games ? If so, there is your problem. Will he do ANYTHING outdoorsy ?

I grew up in era and place that i only wanted to be outside
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Why doesn't he want to hunt? Hard to reply without that information
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I lost my 82 yo Father last year.
He and I spent many years hunting together and I got up at his memorial service and talked about our time we spent afield..
I made a joke that I was my Fathers Favorite son because we shared that ONE thing together that the others didnt

But ya know what?
My Brother got up and talked about the love he and my Father shared other ways (Music and fitness and religion)
Then he made a joke that he was my Fathers Favorite son because they shared that ONE thing together that the others didnt

and guess what?
My other brother got up and shared how he and my Father shared their love of Equipment..trucks tractors Cars/Trucks and anything with engines..
He made a joke that he was my Fathers Favorite son because they shared that ONE thing together that the others didn't..

The guests and relatives were laughing at that point when it became clear we all thought we were out Dads favorite son..
but it became clear Our Father was much smarter than we ever gave him credit for..

Ya know?..It turns out that my Old Man was smart enough to find out what his kids enjoyed (Each one) and then take up a interest in it and share it with each son..as a special thing they shared..

Good luck to you..try and find something the kid likes and take up that interest (even if it changes weekly)
You might just find that ONE thing he talks about at your own service that made him feel like he was Dads "favorite" son.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Every kid is different. Encourage and develop their respective interests.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He and I spent many years hunting together and I got up at his memorial service and talked about our time we spent afield..
I made a joke that I was my Fathers Favorite son because we shared that ONE thing together that the others didnt

But ya know what?
My Brother got up and talked about the love he and my Father shared other ways (Music and fitness and religion)
Then he made a joke that he was my Fathers Favorite son because they shared that ONE thing together that the others didnt

and guess what?
My other brother got up and shared how he and my Father shared their love of Equipment..trucks tractors Cars/Trucks and anything with engines..
He made a joke that he was my Fathers Favorite son because they shared that ONE thing together that the others didn't..

The guests and relatives were laughing at that point when it became clear we all thought we were out Dads favorite son..
but it became clear Our Father was much smarter than we ever gave him credit for..

Ya know?..It turns out that my Old Man was smart enough to find out what his kids enjoyed (Each one) and then take up a interest in it and share it with each son..as a special thing they shared..

Good luck to you..try and find something the kid likes and take up that interest (even if it changes weekly)
You might just find that ONE thing he talks about at your own service that made him feel like he was Dads "favorite" son.
View Quote
That's a great story.

My grandfather kind've did the same with my cousin and I.

He taught us both many of the same things, but focused individually on the outdoor activities that my cousin and myself each personally excelled at or took interest in.

I took to hunting, shooting sports, and fieldcraft. My cousin took to fishing and golf.

He spent many hours together with the both of us and also individually helping us hone these skills.

Kinda' dusty in here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't worry about it. I like shooting and hunting and my brother doesn't. People are different. Of course keep an eye on that one. My brother got into drugs and stealing and turned out to be a liberal worst of all.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But ya know what?

and guess what?

View Quote
@Chatsworth

Thanks for posting that.

My 4yr old daighter is the coolest kid on earth. She wants to do everything with me, every day, all day.

I have a 2mo old and I've been talking to my wife about how I hope he likes guns, fishing, etc. Told her I don't know how I could bond with him if he's not into outdoor stuff.

Now that I think about it, after reading your post, I don't give a shit what hes into, I'll get into that.

Then I thought about my dad, who loves old school country music and gospel music, who helped me build a massive bass box in my car to play rap music through. He didn't give a shit about any of that, but he did it anyways because we could bond over it.

Now that I've grown up, we bond over virtually everything. We're both into guns, fishing, guitars, woodworking, metalworking, etc.

Anyways, that was a really good post and made me think about my role as a dad.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Let him be him. My middle boy would rather die than see a cute deer die. Its okay. He eats meat, he just doesn't wanna be there for the kill, and I can't fault him for it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm all about the strap life, have zero desire to go hunting.

Killed a Blue Jay with my pellet gun as a kid, that was enough to tell me I prefer clay pigeons and packaged chicken.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Extended family has always been big into hunting, and when i was a kid i thought i would be too.  Made my dad take me every year for a few years and realized I didn't really like it.

Grew up around skinning/butchering deer.  I don't have any problem with it, and I like the "idea" of hunting.  I just never could get into it.

Found I like shooting a lot more than I like hunting.  I would like to get a bear one day just to say I did, but beyond that deer/turkey etc doesn't excite me.

Find something else you can bond over with your son. If he doesn't want to kill but likes the rest of it i.e. camo, being in the woods, stalking etc.  maybe try wildlife photography.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But ya know what?

and guess what?

View Quote
Thanks for sharing. I have two boys, this post was pertinent.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine wouldn't even shoot a gun for several years. Be patient, invite him like it's a camping trip. He may never hunt again and that's okay.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe the Hunting thing is something he is not ready for.

Learning that cute animals get cut up for meat makes some kids uneasy...

(but just try telling them no cheeseburgers for you, only Brussel sprouts & Asperigus because "meat is murder"...

Maybe he would enjoy outdoor photography, or geocaching - orienteering, or other activies you could share with him.

Definitely, enjoy some No Phone Days outdoors (Phone goes OFF and into a box left in the car) you bring your phone ONLY for emergency calls.

Kids these days are so phone addicted it is sick.  When my son's Boy Scout Troop has campouts, we adults frequently are "collecting" phones that the Scouts were clearly told NOT to bring...
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 1:29:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I love shooting varmints but I'm not a big game hunter.  When my son turned 14 we went and he didn't get anything.  He turned into a waterfowl hunter and never went back to big game.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 1:50:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Every kid is different. Encourage and develop their respective interests.
View Quote
This.

Don't make it an issue that he doesn't want to hunt. Accept it.
Spend time with him doing something else.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 3:43:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But ya know what?

and guess what?

View Quote
This.

@Chatsworth thank you
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does he have smart phone and video games ? If so, there is your problem. Will he do ANYTHING outdoorsy ?

I grew up in era and place that i only wanted to be outside
View Quote
A smart phone?? No, he is 12.  He has NO phone.  They saved their own money to buy a playstation, so it could be used for youtube/hulu/blu rays, etc.  They did get into fortnight for a minute.  Their time in front of any screen is very limited.  I have too many friends and coworkers (and degenerates I deal with at work) that have allowed phones/tvs/computers to raise their kids,  and refuse to allow that in my home.

He loves the outdoors, especially fishing, just not into hunting apparently
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Might be the style of hunting too.
I love to small game hunt. Chasing squirrel through the woods, trying to hit a rabbit on the run, or taking duck on the wing is fun and challenging.
For a dumb deer to saunter up to the corn feeder, while sitting in stand, waiting for it to basically align itself up to be shot is boring and not very sporting in my mind.
Seems more like ambushing than hunting.
I usually pass too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Agree with the above poster. Some people think sitting in a deer stand is the most boring thing on earth. But, shooting flying targets is great.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#20]
My whole family hunts but I was never interested. I liked to squirrel hunt and did some bow hunting.

There just isn't enough shooting while hunting. I love to shoot, hunting not so much.

Me and my dad did plenty of shit while growing up outside of the 2 week deer hunting season.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But ya know what?

and guess what?

View Quote
What a great post ! Sorry for your loss. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My 14 year old loves to hunt.  My 12 year old went last year, but has been hesitant about this year.  He finally told me yesterday that he doesn't want to go.  I obviously am not going to pressure him, but I also obviously was hoping to spend that time with both of my boys and hope they enjoy it as much as I do.

View Quote
Maybe it isn't about the killing. Maybe there's just not enough action for him. Some types of hunting can be boring.

Why not introduce him to the shotgun sports. Plenty of action and tons of instant gratification when you start hitting targets. I would start with skeet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A smart phone?? No, he is 12.  He has NO phone.  They saved their own money to buy a playstation, so it could be used for youtube/hulu/blu rays, etc.  They did get into fortnight for a minute.  Their time in front of any screen is very limited.  I have too many friends and coworkers (and degenerates I deal with at work) that have allowed phones/tvs/computers to raise their kids,  and refuse to allow that in my home.

He loves the outdoors, especially fishing, just not into hunting apparently
View Quote
Ok, like mentioned find a common ground.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But ya know what?

and guess what?

View Quote
That's the best post I have seen on ARFCOM in a long time.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#26]
My brother is an avid hunter. I honestly don’t care for it. I’ll make an afternoon hunt once every blue moon with him but that’s it. I just get my venison from him.
But damn I love punching holes in paper at a distance.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#27]
My boy has hunted on and off over the years, killed 4 deer. He can take it or leave it. I don’t pressure him to go.  He does want me to take him bear hunting.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
What kind of hunting? Sitting in a stand is very dull for a child.

Maybe take him dove hunting next month. Something more high volume mag keep his interest more.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What kind of hunting? Sitting in a stand is very dull for a child.
Maybe take him dove hunting next month. Something more high volume mag keep his interest more.
View Quote
Yeah this too.

I was bored with still hunting when I was his age. I just wanted to shoot/kill stuff.

I shot many birds around the property, especially once I graduated from BB gun to .22LR.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Video games and TV have nothing to do with it.

Some kids just like different things and that is okay. You cant force your kids to love everything you love.

The key to being a good father is spending quality time with them doing whatever it is.  It doesn't have to be just one thing.  Understand what he likes to do and get involved.  Your kids are people with their own brains, passions and ideas and parents often forget that.

I have one daughter who loves shooting and being outdoors with me.  That's the easy one.  I have another that makes it seem like a chore taking her shooting.  Yet she loves gymnastics and dance.  So I try and be as involved as I can with that by going to practices and all the meets and watching how to videos with her.

You cant be down on them for it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Offer to pull him out of school a few days if he goes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

But ya know what?

and guess what?

View Quote
That's great advice!
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#33]
My 12 year old says he doesn't want to go hunting this year.  He enjoys the outdoors, shooting, and hanging out with the guys but youth season falls between halloween and his birthday. I think he thinks he'll miss something.
Also he's deathly afraid of bugs.  Getting into a dark blind in the dark shook him up last year. He was fine after all the bugs were killed.

I explained to him that it's a family activity that we do together.  We'll get to spend time together and we spend quality time with grandma and grandpa.  He's a child, he doesn't understand the value of the experience and the time spent with family.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#34]
It's ok find something else to bond with him. Maybe a sport or art or music or something. I love guns. My brother hates guns. Different kinds of people. Some kids might think hunting isn't very fun, walking around in the woods might seem like work to some. I mean kids love tv and video games and A/C and being lazy. In this technology age kids love their phones and computers more than outdoor activities.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m sure it stinks for you as a Dad, but every kid has their own thing or things.

My brother enjoys shooting and likes guns, but he’s not really into hunting.  He doesn’t oppose it at all, it’s just not his thing.  On the other hand, I’m all about being in the woods.  Our Dad never pushed us one way or the other.

Find something to do with him you both enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Daughter bowhunts with me, rifle hunts deer, been bird hunting on a preserve, turkeys, likes it all.
Son has no interest in bow hunting, knows he cannot sit still, might go out with me when I rifle hunt for deer, says he might be interested. Loved turkey hunting cause he can walk and talk, and shot sporting clays last weekend - might be hooked.

I will find things each likes to do and go with them and provide chances for us to get better. Doesn't matter to me what they like. But they will both know how to think, be safe with guns, and appreciate the world outside!
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd try different types of hunting me personally I love deer and varmint hunting but duck hunting or pheasants don't appeal to me neither does archery.
Everyone is different he may like long range hunting as I do the skill and the technical side of it I find fascinating.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top