Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2019 10:24:37 AM EDT
Have yet to build but getting everything in order.  Has anyone ever used solar panels EXCLUSIVELY for a build? If so, would you do it again? Why or why not?  Im open to any comments and or suggestions about this.  Trying to see if is really worth it or not.  I will have a water well, the normal electric use for a family of two at the moment and a little one later.  The home will be built in North Texas
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I am south of you in the heart of Central Texas.  I am an old man and some amenities are non-negotiable. Air conditioning is at the top of the list.

I am in the end stages of a cabin build that incorporates hybrid power from the onset.

1400kw solar
4 X T16LRE batteries
3000w inverter

The  cabin was wired for 12v lights,fans
6 AC circuits are on a transfer switch
fridge
freezer
TV/sat dish
microwave
2 small runs of AC wall receptacles

The inverter can be 'fed' from the battery bank or an outside generator.  This is a very simplified summary

In late September,  I turn the main breaker feeding grid power off.  Hopefully it stays off until late April/ early May.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#2]
1400 kilo-watts? That is a HUGE number.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The issue is storage of the electricity. Batteries are expensive, large and have a limited lifespan.  Also you really shouldn't just add new ones into your bank.

In addition during the winter your solar generation goes down, so you need alternative options for backup as well. Wind is often the "backup" , but also expensive.

Hydro would be a good option if your property supports it
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1400 kilo-watts? That is a HUGE number.
View Quote
ooops

1point4 kw
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
"4 X T16LRE batteries " I could not find these/// do you have a link?
Also how many panels and what type? Obviously 1400kw is a mistake... 14kw maybe? <<<that would still be a huge array.. must be 4kw... if it is I am curious on how it could run a fridge and freezer 24/7..

I am looking at solar as well and am very curious at the complete specs of your system if you are willing to share...
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not doing nuts and bolts install or specific brands (which is largely subjective).  You need to understand every wire, component and purpose in a hybrid system like this or you will maybe burn your house down.  Plus,  if you need to install for code and inspection, ditch this idea.  I figured it out, so can you.

Basics:

5 x 280w 24v panels
MPPT charge  controller
4 x Trojan L16LRE batteries
3000w MSW inverter/charger. I am planning on installing a second smaller inverter (500w PSW?).  The overhead draw on the 3000w inverter is pretty steep.

Components
12v led lighting  -- Conventional AC light fixtures work fine with 12v led bulbs.  AC wall switches WILL NOT WORK because breaking a DC contact is much harder than breaking an alternating current contact

12v ceiling fan
12v Fantastic fan for exhaust mounted horizontally in wall

10gal RV gas/electric water heater.  On a 12v DC timer which powers up the electric side of the water heater daily between 1300-1600 hrs when my panels are usually throwing  out surplus electrons.  The water is usually still quite warm for evening showers.

50amp RV power center  -- AC/DC connections with appropriate breakers/fuses.  Also has a converter/charger for the 12v side.

6 circuit transfer switch as noted earlier.

110v chest freezer on a timer which shuts it off daily between midnight -0500

Propane stove --- NOT RV!

Propane heaters.

NO RV absorption fridge!  Those things are crap.  I have a small super efficient AC fridge.

The transfer switch is set up to receive power from two selectable inputs.  Either AC from the inverter or AC from a generator that I plug into an outside receptacle.

You may notice the heavy reliance on RV components. I spent 10 years in an RV in the oil field off grid with generator power 24/7.  I learned about  some things that work and some things not so much.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Redundancy should be your goal.

Because sometimes the sun doesn't shine, or the wind doesn't blow, or the water doesn't flow.  Maybe you just have done run out of fuel and the genny isn't kicking over.

Having one or more ways should keep you in a constant supply of electricity while homesteading.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the reply..  after your post the size makes a bit more sense.... I need a minimum of 2 power-wall 2's may go to three.. If I go with three I would need 30 panel array to satisfy them....... We will see... I want an option to be fully off the grid///
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top