Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2023 10:07:59 AM EDT
My friend has a Coleman 17' bunkhouse style camper and is planning to take the family out west in the summer. He is getting together the parts to install a solar Set-up.

This question is about installation, not materials. Does anyone have a good YouTube video about installing the battery, charge controller and running wires in this style of camper? Mostly about the best places to install the battery and how to run wiring to be hidden and not tear up the walls.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a million videos like that, but mostly the #vanlife crowd.

If the batteries are going inside the trailer, make sure he buys AGM or Lithium, and NOT lead acid.  Outside, he could use whatever.  Lead acid vent fumes, and those can't be used inside.

Other tips:
- calculate your solar demand and size the battery appropriately
- except for lithium, you cannot use 100% of the battery's capacity (amp-hours) without damaging it
- when sizing solar, consider if you'll use the camper in winter when the sun is lower and a 100W panel might generate 40W
- I used VHB tape to mount panels on a van.  Some say that's crazy.  140,000 miles later, they are still up there!
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out Victron Energy.  They manufacture much of the equipment used in solar setups in the RV world and home.  There is a ton of info and training videos including virtual tutorials.
Victron Energy

Our 5th wheeler has Victron controller and smart battery shunt installed from the factory.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By str8shuutr45:
Check out Victron Energy.  They manufacture much of the equipment used in solar setups in the RV world and home.  There is a ton of info and training videos including virtual tutorials.
Victron Energy

Our 5th wheeler has Victron controller and smart battery shunt installed from the factory.
View Quote

Victron seems to make some nice stuff.  I added that SmartShunt and use that bluetooth app for monitoring battery status.  

Screen shot from now.  4 days on the road, lots of laptop charging, diesel heater running all night, and I'm losing a bit of ground on keeping up.  I could use one more solar panel, or less clouds:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Another panel would definitely help.  I have two on my rig and would like have 2 more.  Before I do that, I want to upgrade to Lithium because of the weight saving and the ability to draw down to almost zero without having an effect on the battery. That's going to be a buy once, cry once deal because they are expensive.  
My Lead Acid batteries are in my basement while my RV sleeps.  I will put a maintainer on them once Feb hits.  I have to relearn all the Victron stuff again in the spring because we traded in our last trailer for the 5th wheel in October and never took it out.  All the camping up here in NH closes on Columbus Day weekend.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I have panels on my roof but I also keep a portable set that I can string out if I’m parked in the shade.
Spend some time learning about battery voltages, what you should charge them to, when you should cut them off etc. My solar controller was not set at the right voltage cut offs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
sweet
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe someone here can answer this question for me. I have a Renogy Wanderer 10 amp controller that will not put out anything on the load side. I get a load short circuit error when attempting to add a .5 amp load. It is not a short circuit, it works fine on a power supply. I get battery voltage at connector for load when it is turned on, but it won't power anything.
Does anyone here have one of these controllers?
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Maybe someone here can answer this question for me. I have a Renogy Wanderer 10 amp controller that will not put out anything on the load side. I get a load short circuit error when attempting to add a .5 amp load. It is not a short circuit, it works fine on a power supply. I get battery voltage at connector for load when it is turned on, but it won't power anything.
Does anyone here have one of these controllers?
View Quote

I have that same controller, and have had zero problems with mine. I even left it in the rain overnight, and it still worked the next day. Contact Renogy, the few times I've contacted them, they were excellent to deal with. They'll know how to fix your problem.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 3:24:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By kevhogAZ:

I have that same controller, and have had zero problems with mine. I even left it in the rain overnight, and it still worked the next day. Contact Renogy, the few times I've contacted them, they were excellent to deal with. They'll know how to fix your problem.
View Quote

I contacted them and have been waiting on a reply from them. Does yours handle 10 amps output to the load? I really only 6 for what I want to do.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 4:00:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

I contacted them and have been waiting on a reply from them. Does yours handle 10 amps output to the load? I really only 6 for what I want to do.
View Quote

I honestly don't remember if it will handle the full 10 amps, or not. If my panel wasn't in storage with the trailer, I'd drag it out and test it for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top