Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2020 2:50:07 PM EDT
Powerbank/solar generator anyone have any experience? I read that folding solar panels only last a year anyone confirm or deny that? I want Flashfish 300 watt generator, but with all the paid reviews out there it is really hard to figure out what is bull shit and what is not.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Powerbank/solar generator anyone have any experience? I read that folding solar panels only last a year anyone confirm or deny that? I want Flashfish 300 watt generator, but with all the paid reviews out there it is really hard to figure out what is bull shit and what is not.
View Quote

Brunton, PowerFilm and other well regarded solar panel makers, generally warranty their folding panels for 2-3 years, due to the thin wires between the segments breaking after repeated openings and closings.

I decided to go with a two 30w rigid monocrystaline panels when I put my SHTF kit together some eight years back.

I've got a Big Blue 28w folding panel coming soon, but I don't expect I'll be using it all that much.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Double tap.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Triple tap, system meltdown!

Chris
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice, solar panels are my next question, I need to figure how many panels needed for over cast to charge a generator(60000mAh and 300 watt). In case you did not know what I was meaning by  solar generator, its basically power bank that can be charged via ac wall plug in, 12 volt and solar panels. Depending on model they are very portable. I'm looking for one that I can keep my ham radios charged, and few other devices. I have already determined that the bigger generators for too expensive.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm using monocrystaline panels that have an adjustable kickstands, fold up, and have a case. No reason these shouldn't last as long as any other panel.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice, solar panels are my next question, I need to figure how many panels needed for over cast to charge a generator(60000mAh and 300 watt). In case you did not know what I was meaning by  solar generator, its basically power bank that can be charged via ac wall plug in, 12 volt and solar panels. Depending on model they are very portable. I'm looking for one that I can keep my ham radios charged, and few other devices. I have already determined that the bigger generators for too expensive.
View Quote

You have a 60Ah 12vdc SLA battery and a 300w solar panel array?

Since you’re in cloudy Oregon, your solar hours per any given day will be minimal, at best compared to Miami, where I’m at.

Figure 2-3 hours per day, for quality sunlight, as a guess?

Just going by my twin 30w mono panels, which put out about ~3.5 amps under ideal laboratory conditions, you might get 15A-17A per hour, in a lab setting, but you live in Oregon and not a lab.

Next up, you’ll need a digital charge controller between the panel and the battery, preferably an MPPT version and not a PWM.”, since you’re running 300w and not my lowly 60w.

Next up, is your 60Ah battery. Suppose you drain it to 50% capacity, so 30Ah, which is what you’ll want to put back into it, you’ll need 30Ah of panel output, so how do you get there?

Knowing that there are always charging inefficiencies, things aren’t 1 for 1.

You might get an 85% input number with a PWM controller and you might get closer to 90%-95% with an MPPT controller, at a substantially higher cost.

So, under lab conditions, your 30Ah will be replenished with 2-3 hours of powerful sunlight, but probably twice that where you are.

Chris

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 2:49:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks! you know your stuff!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top