Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2021 11:09:29 AM EDT
Monday morning at 1am I decided to see who was on HF.  Got on 40m on my KX2 and heard France.  Talked to him and mentioned that I was QRP with 4 watts.  F6HKA emailed me yesterday and told me that 1000 miles a watt was a thing.  Unfortunately when I double checked I was at 10 watts.  I had turned it up trying for an Oregon contact the day before and forgot to turn it back down.  So anyways. Sounded like a challenge.   Last night got back on a little after 1am and heard Bert again.  This time he gave me a 339 but I assured him I was 4 watts.  So he is 4230 miles from me.  My KX2 is running to 12 feet of coax to a jumper under the door to 75' of coax to a 10-20-40 EF slope up 20 feet.  CW and QRP are amazing.  1050 miles per watt.  Now I read that there is a 1500 mpw and 2000 mpw thing too...sounds like a new challenge.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Bert is a great guy, and a pleasure to work.  He can easily carry on a CW conversation at 30+ wpm, but totally enjoys slowing down and talking to the new guys.  He is very active in SKCC and was one of my first straight key contacts.  That QSO took a lot of patience on his part, and he seemed to enjoy it more than I did.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty cool
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
very cool!

I hope to get there!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Bert's a great OP.

40 Meters QRP is a blast. In fact, I've run several of the SKCC sprints at under 5 Watts, and my score was about the same as running my usual 50 Watts.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Good stuff

Agree on the CW QRP, it can be amazing.  I think my best was Latvia on 20m with kx2 and a 29’ EF.

He is a good op, great signal and great ears.  Worked him a bunch of times /p and /m.  Hear him often driving home from work at midnight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top