Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2021 12:56:25 AM EDT
Has any ody used a snare for hog hunting? They can be found on websites as a very durable rig, just not sure how well they work or quite how to ise them.
Any input?
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Snares are hard on deer. The foot snare I have never tried. My neighbor caught a Big pig with a snare on a twelve foot lead. The pig jumped back through the fence crossing and tangled the fence up to the point we had to replace some wires. It was a mess. But we got the trap shy hog that outsmarted the dogs.

With snares be prepared to catch a few deer or have the deer knock down most of your sets.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Good info. Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scar811:
Good info. Thanks for the responses.
View Quote

Some snares are made with deer break aways. I know a guy who bought some and set them out only to find broken snares.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:13:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gatorshooter2] [#5]
I have used “hold a hog” jump snares that have a deer excluder tubing on the end. These use a large leg hold trap to jump the snare above the hogs hock. The snare is spring loaded to close and short piece of plastic tubing keeps it from cinching too tight on a deers leg so they can slip out . I had one set that kept being tripped never caught. I set up my game camera and it was the same 4 pt tripping it then pulling his leg out… after that the hogs came in and ate the bait… three nights in a row.
We went to the #9 style corral type trap using hog panels and I quit using my snares because these caught more at a time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#6]
a good repeating hog trap is a better option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top