Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2021 12:42:20 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with small hydro generators??  I have a 5 acre pond that is kept filled by 60 acres of hay meadow.  I usually get pretty good flow out of an 18" culvert for a week after a good rain, with an elevation change of about 25 feet from discharge to the creek below.  I am thinking that would be a nice addition to an off grid cabin's power supply on cloudy, rainy days.  I'm in design and planning stages of cabin, and plan on solar doing the bulk of the heavy lifting.

Thanks
Doc
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone on this site used to have a full size water wheel generator. I wonder if they are still around?
Neat project. Tagged for info. I have some water availability.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
micro hydro is what you seek. The you tubes have a bunch of ideas.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming you have a way to store 1.6M gallons of water, a 1" rainfall on 60 acres (1.6M gal) slowly released over a weeks time will produce a continuous 400 watts of power. How much rain do you get every week?

IMHO, I would just buy some more solar and batteries. Hydro is only really efficient given a source of water that has a large drainage collection area. 60 acres just isn't enough to justify the initial capital expenses in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out some of his videos

Micro hydro power
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top