Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2022 9:23:46 PM EDT
I was gonna drop this in GD (still may depending on how many replies I get), but I thought I'd start here.

I'm looking for a small entrenching tool to stick in a get home bag.  I have a nice foldable shovel that I keep in the car, but I'm looking for something smaller....

I'd be curious of what other people have/have used.

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Double tap
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock makes a small version of the GI folding shovel.
Personally I keep a Spetznaz fighting shovel in my Jeep. Doubles as a pretty formidable weapon.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
YamaziHD Lightweight Mini Shovels, they have a folding trowel that is lightweight.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always said the Walmart camping section is our friend.

They have ones that are the same tri-fold as what we were issued way back when but less than half the size.

They also have ones that are smaller than my hand for camping. Check them out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Classic Ames GI E-tool with a ACU Molle Cover works for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Gerber makes a smaller folding shovel...it's about 1/2size of an e-tool, if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome ideas.  Thx dudes...exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
The Glock entrenching tool is quite light compared to GI ones.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:34:39 AM EDT
[#9]
U-Dig-It

U Dig It Trowel Shovel Review -Perfect for Camping, Hiking & Backpacking
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gerber makes a smaller folding shovel...it's about 1/2size of an e-tool, if I recall correctly.
View Quote

Gerber Gorge Shovel  Fits in a GI Canteen/Utility pouch.  Adequate for "ditching" a tent or making a fire pit.  Overkill for "scat" holes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Glock entrenching tool is quite light compared to GI ones.
View Quote

Solid choice.

My Bundeswehr tri-fold is a bit sturdier than most USGI shovels.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was gonna drop this in GD (still may depending on how many replies I get), but I thought I'd start here.

I'm looking for a small entrenching tool to stick in a get home bag.  I have a nice foldable shovel that I keep in the car, but I'm looking for something smaller....

View Quote

@Slarti

What's the purpose? I know that may sound kind of stupid, but some people may need something for snow, sand, simply digging a drainage ditch around their shelter or a cat hole to crap in. I only bring my Cold Steel shovel (or titanium trowel) when camping/cooking with an open fire and needing to move coals around. I'm always concerned about weight and if it's heavy, I need a multipurpose tool, which something like the Cold Steel shovel, as it can be used to chop, works as a machete, and can be used as an effective weapon if needed. On the other hand, for going light weight, I often go with a small trowel, ether aluminum (ace of spades), or something titanium like the spade head or a multipurpose Vargo trowel/stake:

I really like the long-handled spade as I just cut off the rivet, remove the handle and keep a wood screw with the head. It's not a heavy duty digger, but it works for most types of soils. If I need more leverage or reach, I can cut a handle to fit and secure with the wood screw...that's handy if I'm cooking with an open fire.

I don't have experience with the Glock shovel, but it has a great reputation. The USGI folding shovel is actually a pretty sold excavating tool; I don't care for the weight, but for a vehicle, it's not a bad choice.  Again, it really depends on what you need it for...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#13]
A good gardening trowel with a handle that fills your hand is hard to beat. I’ve un-high-centered my Jeep with one. Even if I’d had an E-tool or shovel in the Jeep there wasn’t room to use it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Classic Ames GI E-tool with a ACU Molle Cover works for me.
View Quote

This. I think I paid 25 bucks for it at a gun show. It's been handy for all sorts of tasks. Just make sure to get real surplus, and not a cheap knockoff.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't go wrong with the military etool but it's not light.  Technically, do you think you'll really need an etool when heading home on foot?  For military purposes, they are ideal (although the pioneer gear off a HMMWV is even better when you really have to dig in).  That said, I don't plan to dig any fighting positions if I'm heading home.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#16]
For a cat hole or retrieving a hit and go cache the U dig it would probably work its small and light weight

For larger I would look for one of the Gerber E Tools
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Important to determine the intended use.

In the winter I keep an avalanche shovel in the car for snow- because of its shape, an e tool would suck at that.

In the summer, I have a half-size spade I throw in the truck if I’m going into the woods.

If you’ve ever actually used an e-tool to dig a fighting position, it is an unpleasant experience.

Trying to do much of anything useful with a tool that’s even smaller? Please don’t sign me up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@Slarti

What's the purpose? I know that may sound kind of stupid, but some people may need something for snow, sand, simply digging a drainage ditch around their shelter or a cat hole to crap in. I only bring my Cold Steel shovel (or titanium trowel) when camping/cooking with an open fire and needing to move coals around. I'm always concerned about weight and if it's heavy, I need a multipurpose tool, which something like the Cold Steel shovel, as it can be used to chop, works as a machete, and can be used as an effective weapon if needed. On the other hand, for going light weight, I often go with a small trowel, ether aluminum (ace of spades), or something titanium like the spade head or a multipurpose Vargo trowel/stake:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.1c9c2e6ac1a198c0bab442d8352cb477?rik=HmxbTgZV2ax2Dg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fi.ebayimg.com%2fimages%2fi%2f181753308946-0-1%2fs-l1000.jpg&ehk=%2bv35ci6Jm%2bem2xA8oZVlNUc8CTGQfKcv6ksqcGsdI0U%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.kCjAf4ONGhqM7IlU-nKwRAHaFl?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

I really like the long-handled spade as I just cut off the rivet, remove the handle and keep a wood screw with the head. It's not a heavy duty digger, but it works for most types of soils. If I need more leverage or reach, I can cut a handle to fit and secure with the wood screw...that's handy if I'm cooking with an open fire.

I don't have experience with the Glock shovel, but it has a great reputation. The USGI folding shovel is actually a pretty sold excavating tool; I don't care for the weight, but for a vehicle, it's not a bad choice.  Again, it really depends on what you need it for...

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Slarti

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.1c9c2e6ac1a198c0bab442d8352cb477?rik=HmxbTgZV2ax2Dg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fi.ebayimg.com%2fimages%2fi%2f181753308946-0-1%2fs-l1000.jpg&ehk=%2bv35ci6Jm%2bem2xA8oZVlNUc8CTGQfKcv6ksqcGsdI0U%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.kCjAf4ONGhqM7IlU-nKwRAHaFl?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

ROCK6

Agree. For me, I really can't justify anything more than the ultralight trowel that I use backpacking- the one I have which is similar to the second photo weighs like 1.2 ounces.

For my purposes, if I have to use a GHB, I'm sure as hell not screwing around with fighting positions or building fires. In the winter I have a folding snow shovel in my car, but that wouldn't come with me if I had to go on foot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:34:19 AM EDT
[#19]
While I understand the attaction of light and small shovels.  They loose their appeal quickly when used.  I can't count the number of times folks with E-tools have been digging out their trucks and suddenly saw my full sized shovel.  Now granted carrying one on a long walk isn't ideal, but it could double as a hiking staff and a pretty darned good impact weapon.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#20]
If one doesn't have room for a full-sized shovel, something this size would do you better than an E-tool: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-D-Handle-Utility-Shovel-3531800/307828180
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the tri-folder is the bestest all around choice.

anything smaller is "why?"  use your knife or heel kick.  

tough call though...  purpose like everyone is saying is key.

weight is bad.

trowell sized shovels are a two scoop effort and then "fuck this"  :)

I would seek a combo tool device like an Ak-74 with shovel blade folder.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#23]
What about a brick hammer? Not good for shoveling but it is like having a mini pickaxe.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.D2zHOx7ZApMVrJq-CctgfwHaHa?w=166&h=166&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=3&pid=1.7What about a brick hammer? Not good for shoveling but it is like having a mini pickaxe.
View Quote

Suggest that if one needs a mini-pick, the Gerber Gorge tool (mentioned above) might be more suitable, since the head can rotate 90 deg, it can be used both as shovel or pick.   Your brick hammer suggestion would also entail the added weight of a separate shovel.

Good example of thinking outside the box, though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

You gotta dig your way home?     Where do you live?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top