Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2020 12:09:56 PM EDT
I want to get some kind of simple arrow shooting setup for my survival bag.
I'm town between a takedown bow or a Slingbow.

Trying to keep whatever I get under $100.

Thinking the Spectre II for a breakdown bow or the Simpleshot Hammer for a Slingbow.

Open to any suggestions on which setup would be better (Slingbow is obviously smaller).
Also open to any other recommendations on breakdown bows or sling bows
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want to get some kind of simple arrow shooting setup for my survival bag.
I'm town between a takedown bow or a Slingbow.

Trying to keep whatever I get under $100.

Thinking the Spectre II for a breakdown bow or the Simpleshot Hammer for a Slingbow.

Open to any suggestions on which setup would be better (Slingbow is obviously smaller).
Also open to any other recommendations on breakdown bows or sling bows
View Quote

I have the hammer and would use it for dear up to 35yrds with out concern.  Beyond that I personally don't feel comfortable that it would be ethical given my ability to make a humane score.  that being said the variety of ammo can almost be anything up to small round rocks.   It's extreamly packable and has the ability of both FLAT or ROUND bands which also is handy.  If you a good shot, I've seen people on video hit rabbits at incredible distance.

The only drawback in my experience is costomer service is a little lacking.  Not the worst but definitly not the best.

over all is it worth it?  Ounces equil pounds...  Ultimately; your mission dictates necessity.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have the hammer and would use it for dear up to 35yrds with out concern.  Beyond that I personally don't feel comfortable that it would be ethical given my ability to make a humane score.  that being said the variety of ammo can almost be anything up to small round rocks.   It's extreamly packable and has the ability of both FLAT or ROUND bands which also is handy.  If you a good shot, I've seen people on video hit rabbits at incredible distance.

The only drawback in my experience is costomer service is a little lacking.  Not the worst but definitly not the best.

over all is it worth it?  Ounces equil pounds...  Ultimately; your mission dictates necessity.

View Quote

Thanks! That's helpful. I'm leaning towards the hammer for packability.
What arrows do you use with it? Is there a good breakdown arrow? Trying to keep the whole kit as small as possible
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Chief AJ has quality breakdown arrows; I have a couple of his sling-bows.  I'm okay with arrows out to about 25-30 yards, but that's about the limit of my comfort range to take something like a deer.  I've stuck mostly with regular arrows.  I like the robustness of aluminum, but carbon arrows perform better for me.  I've only jacked up a turkey vulture as far as game, but it was a good shot for me personally.  

I would add some steel bearings, marbles, or some .44 caliber lead balls for ammo.  Don't forget to add an extra rubber sling.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Which one are you better with?  Which one will you train with more?  That is your answer.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which one are you better with?  Which one will you train with more?  That is your answer.
View Quote

That's a good point.  The beauty of the "sling-bow" is that you can still target practice with inexpensive ball bearings, marbles, etc.  I know I actually like target practicing with the sling-bow over my regular recurve bows far more often...I still not as accurate with the sling beyond short distances, but it's cheaper and easier to practice with.

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top