Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2023 3:22:29 PM EDT
Looking to do a few hikes this year that involve an overnight and looking into some single person tents. Some friends I’ll be going with have this Lightfighter single person and like it but said there are several options.

Anyone have any advice on what to look for or stay away from?

My requirements are:
- Be packable and carried with a bag.
- Decent quality waterproof floor and canopy. I live in NH and we get a good amount of rain and condensation in the early morning and night.

Not required but nice features and add ons:
- Ability to add a cold weather kit.
- Ground pad.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:40:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ME2112] [#1]
A few questions:

1) What’s your budget?
2) Do you have other backpacking gear?l
3) What kind of terrain will you be camping on, especially in winter? A tent suitable for use at lower elevations may not do so well in the mountains.
4) Are you looking for a “tactical” tent like the linked Lightfighter?

That Lightfighter is HEAVY for a 1P tent. 18.7 sq ft of floor area is good for a 1P, and it looks like it’d do well below treeline for winter camping. But it’s HEAVY, and I can’t imagine the cold weather kit is very light (I didn’t see numbers at the link.) You can get 2P “civilian” tents that offer more space at half the weight and for similar money. There’s really no reason to get something that heavy unless you’re just the type who doesn’t take care of his stuff.

For cold weather you really don’t want to insulate the tent, ventilation is the most important thing to help keep condensation down. I made a Reflectix floor for mine but that’s the extent of what I’ve done. My winter backpacking tent is a 2P single wall and I sleep with the door partially open and both vents open to reduce condensation, and even then I get a snowstorm on my face when I use my -25F bag because it touches at head and foot. Double-wall tents tend to have less condensation but are heavier.

Trekking pole tents are an option, the pyramid-shaped ones buck the wind very well but you’ll definitely want to pile up snow around the floorless ones to keep wind from blowing snow in. Then you lose the ventilation, though. But they’re light, pretty quick to set up although there is something of a learning curve involved (get proficient in your yard), and you can lower the pole for a lower peak height in bad weather or to give a little more length inside. You can pay stupid money (ZPacks, Hyperlite Mountain Gear) or you can spend more reasonable amounts (Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs.)

For sleeping pads, in my opinion there are only 2 worth looking at - NEMO and Thermarest. That’s not to say the rest are bad, just that those 2 seem to consistently balance comfort, warmth, and weight. For spring-fall, NEMO Tensor or Thermarest NeoAir; in winter, Tensor Insulated or Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm.

This doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface, there could easily be a 10-page sticky on the subject, and some of what I’ve written is either just my opinion or very subjective.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ME2112:
A few questions:

1) What’s your budget?
Don’t have a budget set in stone but trying to keep it around $500 total.
2) Do you have other backpacking gear?
I have some basic gear from doing smaller hikes but will be looking at picking up a new pack soon.
3) What kind of terrain will you be camping on, especially in winter? A tent suitable for use at lower elevations may not do so well in the mountains.
We will be around the white mountains for most trips.
Currently I don’t plan of doing much “winter/ snow” camping but I know how much temps can change in the spring and fall.
4) Are you looking for a “tactical” tent like the linked Lightfighter?
Doesn’t need to be tactical looking by any means but I’d prefer it to blend in a little with more natural colors. Not a deal breaker but I’d rather not have a bright orange or yellow tent.

That Lightfighter is HEAVY for a 1P tent. 18.7 sq ft of floor area is good for a 1P, and it looks like it’d do well below treeline for winter camping. But it’s HEAVY, and I can’t imagine the cold weather kit is very light (I didn’t see numbers at the link.) You can get 2P “civilian” tents that offer more space at half the weight and for similar money. There’s really no reason to get something that heavy unless you’re just the type who doesn’t take care of his stuff.

For cold weather you really don’t want to insulate the tent, ventilation is the most important thing to help keep condensation down. I made a Reflectix floor for mine but that’s the extent of what I’ve done. My winter backpacking tent is a 2P single wall and I sleep with the door partially open and both vents open to reduce condensation, and even then I get a snowstorm on my face when I use my -25F bag because it touches at head and foot. Double-wall tents tend to have less condensation but are heavier.

Trekking pole tents are an option, the pyramid-shaped ones buck the wind very well but you’ll definitely want to pile up snow around the floorless ones to keep wind from blowing snow in. Then you lose the ventilation, though. But they’re light, pretty quick to set up although there is something of a learning curve involved (get proficient in your yard), and you can lower the pole for a lower peak height in bad weather or to give a little more length inside. You can pay stupid money (ZPacks, Hyperlite Mountain Gear) or you can spend more reasonable amounts (Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs.)

For sleeping pads, in my opinion there are only 2 worth looking at - NEMO and Thermarest. That’s not to say the rest are bad, just that those 2 seem to consistently balance comfort, warmth, and weight. For spring-fall, NEMO Tensor or Thermarest NeoAir; in winter, Tensor Insulated or Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm.

This doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface, there could easily be a 10-page sticky on the subject, and some of what I’ve written is either just my opinion or very subjective.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#3]
My Six Moon Designs Deschutes tarp, cost $190. It uses a single trekking pole to set up, if you don’t have or use trekking poles they sell both aluminum and carbon fiber poles. You’ll need stakes (max of 8), and they don’t come seam sealed so you’ll either have to do it yourself or have them do it for you at extra cost.  

I bought it fairly late last year and only got to use it once on the trail before aggravating my bad knee, but I used it in the backyard on a few test nights and like it a lot. Condensation is nonexistent. I used a footprint from one of my other tents to protect my sleeping pad but a piece of Tyvek/Typar will work just as well and will be tougher. Since then I’ve bought a tie-in bathtub floor for it but haven’t used it. Maybe I’ll give it a try in the snow sometime soon.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:48:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#4]
How far will you be hiking.  How much are you willing to spend?

Tents, sleeping bags, backpacks and sleeping pads come in all sorts of price points.  If you are not committed to it, or have a lot of money to throw away on things you may only use a few times I would avoid the highest price points as you pay a lot more for a few ounces of weight reduction but you won't stay any dryer or warmer.  For someone hiking the AT all those saved ounces add up but for the occasional overnighter it doesn't make much sense.

If it rains you really want a 2-person tent for one person.  Even if it doesn't rain a 1-person tent is barely big enough for a sleeping bag.  If you expect snow load then you probably want a 4-season tent that won't collapse on you if you don't stay awake all night to keep knocking the snow off.  4-season tents are heavier and harder to set up though.  If you don't expect much/any snow a 3-season 2-pole style tent will be more than sufficient, lighter and faster to set up.  

I have a light and pretty inexpenive MSR tent that has weathered 50 mph sideways rain in Iceland and kept me dry.  It is an older model but is similar to this one:

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/msr-elixir-2-tent_10368197

In cold weather a closed cell pad with an open cell inflatable on top will keep you from freezing all night and stay comfortable.  Someone said Thermarest already.  They are a no brainer brand.  One Z fold closed cell below an inflatable will keep you pretty warm.

Sleeping bags are highly temperature, weather and weight dependent.  Down is warm and light but doesn't do well if it gets wet.  Synthetic is heavier but still insulating even when damp. I have 4 bags I use regularly.  A 30 year old -20 North Face Down bag that still get used for winter backpack trips.   A 30 degree down Marmot for hiking if the temperature isn't too low because it is small and light and then a couple of synthetic bags for hunting camp, car and kayak camping where I want to stay warm but have some room to stretch out.    

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Clark jungle hammock is what you seek.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Lanshan but seam seal it yourself.

Lite fighter isn’t light. They are .mil.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Last year they hiked in anywhere from 4-6 miles. Camped out for a night or two and hiked back out.

It doesn’t need to be an ultralight setup. I grew up camping with family but never had to really like into an area with everything on my back. I can handle a few extra ounces to keep costs down for now. I’m hoping to do 3-4 trips this year.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:06:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#8]
Originally Posted By steve8140:
Last year they hiked in anywhere from 4-6 miles. Camped out for a night or two and hiked back out.

It doesn’t need to be an ultralight setup. I grew up camping with family but never had to really like into an area with everything on my back. I can handle a few extra ounces to keep costs down for now. I’m hoping to do 3-4 trips this year.
View Quote

Get a two person tent. You will want the room to keep your stuff dryer than just putting it in the vestibule.

Outdoor Gear Review has tons of testing of tents. He hates them all. 😂
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Black Diamond tents all the damn way.

They're absolutely amazing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Get a two person tent. You will want the room to keep your stuff dryer than just putting it in the vestibule.

View Quote

I’ve been reading into and watching videos so much that I loose track of which is which. Seems every review is

“I really like this tent BUT……. this, this, this, this and this could be done better”.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I like Trailspace for reviews, most of the reviews are written by regular hikers/backpackers/skiers so there’s very little of the sales pitch professional reviewers often seem to fit in. Whenever someone is provided with a piece of gear it’s disclosed. Best of all, there are no “I just got this in the mail yesterday, I can’t use it until summer but it looks like it’ll work just fine. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️” reviews.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks heavy and expensive.
Weight: 74 ounces
Cost: $405.36
Dimensions: 84x32

My first recommendation would be the Big Agnes Copper Spur.  I have the 1 and 2.  Both have been great.  The orange color may kill it, I understand that.
Weight: 38 ounces
Cost: $449.95 (should be able to find with a 20% off coupon)
Dimensions: 88x38x28 (tapered at foot)

Another option is Tarptent.  I have the Hogback as my bring-the-kids tent.  4 pounds / 4 people, and it's been awesome!  For 1 man:
Moment
Weight: 34 Ounces (with carbon pole)
Cost: $364
Dimensions: 84x42x20 (tapered foot)

Rainbow
Weight: 32 ounces (with carbon pole)
Cost: $299
Dimensions: 88x40

One thing I like about the Tarptents over the Copper Spur is that the setup is done with the fly attached, so if it's raining, the interior doesn't get wet.  The setup videos on their website are very informative and show how easy they are.
One thing I like more about the Copper Spur is the available nylon ground cover.  Tarptent just offers a Tyvek sheet, which is functional, but kind of a pain to pack compared to nylon.
Seam sealing is also an add-on with Tarptent.  You can either do it yourself, or pay them $35 to do it.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ME2112:
I like Trailspace for reviews, most of the reviews are written by regular hikers/backpackers/skiers so there’s very little of the sales pitch professional reviewers often seem to fit in. Whenever someone is provided with a piece of gear it’s disclosed. Best of all, there are no “I just got this in the mail yesterday, I can’t use it until summer but it looks like it’ll work just fine. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️” reviews.
View Quote

Another good one is Outdoor Gear Lab
Lots of good reviews from equipment to clothing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By pagoda:
Looks heavy and expensive.
Weight: 74 ounces
Cost: $405.36
Dimensions: 84x32

My first recommendation would be the Big Agnes Copper Spur.  I have the 1 and 2.  Both have been great.  The orange color may kill it, I understand that.
Weight: 38 ounces
Cost: $449.95 (should be able to find with a 20% off coupon)
Dimensions: 88x38x28 (tapered at foot)

Another option is Tarptent.  I have the Hogback as my bring-the-kids tent.  4 pounds / 4 people, and it's been awesome!  For 1 man:
Moment
Weight: 34 Ounces (with carbon pole)
Cost: $364
Dimensions: 84x42x20 (tapered foot)

Rainbow
Weight: 32 ounces (with carbon pole)
Cost: $299
Dimensions: 88x40

One thing I like about the Tarptents over the Copper Spur is that the setup is done with the fly attached, so if it's raining, the interior doesn't get wet.  The setup videos on their website are very informative and show how easy they are.
One thing I like more about the Copper Spur is the available nylon ground cover.  Tarptent just offers a Tyvek sheet, which is functional, but kind of a pain to pack compared to nylon.
Seam sealing is also an add-on with Tarptent.  You can either do it yourself, or pay them $35 to do it.

View Quote

Not nearly that expensive on eBay.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:37:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Loonytik] [#15]
How big a boy are ya?

I have the Litefighter 1 and like others have said, its heavy BUT, it's also small. I'm 5'10" and my toes touch the end. There's also no room inside the tent for gear. Most of your stuff will have to sit in the vestibule's. My netting also ripped on me last year in the middle of a trip. Thankfully it was cold so mosquitos weren't a concern. If my netting hadn't ripped I would sell it to you for a steal. If you don't buy it direct from Litefighter there is NO warranty.

Look at tents from Big Agnes, Nemo, Six Moon Designs, Mountain Hardwear, Sea to Summit and if you have the budget, Zpacks. You'll get a much nicer, lighter, and more enjoyable tent.

ETA - The Big Agnes Copper Spur comes in an "Olive Green", Lanshan has green and khaki colors and MSR has a khaki color. That's about as close as you'll get to blending in with consumer tents right now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#16]
One person I have extensively used an old 2000's Hennessey hammock.  I like the flexibility of setting up almost anywhere there are trees vs a dedicated flat campsite.  With straps ~3lbs

The past two years I've been using a seekoutside 6 man tipi comes in at ~4lbs if I leave out the aluminum pole and use  straight branch or tree on site.  Titanium stove adds 3 lbs and a lot of comfort.  With just me it is a 150 square foot palace.

-P
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#17]
There is absolutly no reason not to get a nice lightweight tent.  Like others have said,  tarptent, big agnes,  i'll add the new REI 1 person tents as well.  the MSR hubba is what I used before I went ultralight.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m doing this x 2 for a philmont expedition next year. Outfitting me and scrub jr for 100+ miles over 12 days.

Biggest weight/space savings I’ve seen are inflatable sleeping pads, down bags and UL tents.  Although I’m intrigued by the trekking pole tents. I should start a thread here about anyone that has used them.

REI has some cheaper options, their passage 1/2 are on a coearance sale right now and are a decent balance between weight and cost.

Previous camping included the cargo area of a 4Runner so this is new territory

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By spuddicus:
I’m doing this x 2 for a philmont expedition next year. Outfitting me and scrub jr for 100+ miles over 12 days.

Biggest weight/space savings I’ve seen are inflatable sleeping pads, down bags and UL tents.  Although I’m intrigued by the trekking pole tents. I should start a thread here about anyone that has used them.

REI has some cheaper options, their passage 1/2 are on a coearance sale right now and are a decent balance between weight and cost.

Previous camping included the cargo area of a 4Runner so this is new territory

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/150826/24E53ED7-A7C7-4C6F-B234-4CCE6C1001F8_jpe-2724906.JPG

View Quote

Sounds awesome!
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My heaviest gear is my sleeping pad - Sea to Summit Ether Light XT at 21.50oz and my cold weather quilt - Enlightened Equipment Enigma 20 deg at 22.81oz. I have a 50 degree quilt on the way that is 13oz.

Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
There is absolutly no reason not to get a nice lightweight tent.  Like others have said,  tarptent, big agnes,  i'll add the new REI 1 person tents as well.  the MSR hubba is what I used before I went ultralight.

Well, there's one reason - Money cause it ain't cheap! If you can afford it though, ultralight is the way to go. Dyneema tents have too many advantages not to use.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Most 1P tents are way too tight for me.  I'm 6'3", they also tend to be too short.
So if I carry a tent I typically take a 2P version and will carry the extra weight in trade for more comfort.  
I also like keeping my gear out of the rain.

I have the 2P litefighter, including the winter kit, which is bombproof but heavy.
I also have a Marmot Pulsar 2P (discontinued) which is only 4lbs and really weather proof.
I've had it in rain several trips with no issues.

I have a Marmot Hydrogen bag which weighs just over a pound, but you have to take care of it.  I don't use it when tarp camping.

So if I take a tent I can take a lighter bag.
If I take a tarp I take a heavier synthetic bag.

It tends to balance out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#22]
50” headroom, 3# 6 oz. awesome. Cheap. I have 2.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/295388237933?hash=item44c682d06d:g:OioAAOSwgKJjiDkC&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoNTR3%2Ff93k6SVV6irBYHWQpF%2FdPiLe%2FgR1niTlDyBAozMIOrXTvKysB2KEJPvNdAMYakn2mPw1550rabYyDRSfzbztC1HjoJ%2BW986cK%2FHVCVEcZ3taYMxMeLsJx9GetfYQO%2B%2FtzIFvnp7UzOX0h6EeD4oufK08e%2Bu5QxprUJgerF1d5%2B4IeZR%2BnZYE%2FKMfzDSbqy3HHIx%2Fxasum8jq%2BFFhg%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4CewLjSYQ
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

I use a REI quarter dome LW tent and love it. Also love my REI Magma 15 bag. I use these on 20+ multiple night hikes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:54:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#24]
Durston X-Mid 2 is a good option if you're someone who uses trekking poles.

Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
View Quote

Because he mostly reviews garbage.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:20:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Another thumbs up for Durstan.
https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-2p

Go and watch the set-up video. Most of the tents listed here were invented years ago, the durstan is a newer
concept and design.
30 oz for a two man tent for 300 dollars. Nothing else in that weight is that cheap.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:13:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#26]
Depends on weather, if you're good with 3 seasons - the NEMO Hornet is good and comes in at 2lbs.  Another good choice is the Big Agnes Copper Spur.  

With the hornet, if you go to the 2P, the total weight is 2lb 6oz and the price difference is minimal (between the 1P and 2P).
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I live in Texas so I'm debating the usefulness of trekking poles. Are there ones to avoid? I would rather have taller poles for beach camping and tying one ends of the tarp to the luggage rack.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:

My heaviest gear is my sleeping pad - Sea to Summit Ether Light XT at 21.50oz and my cold weather quilt - Enlightened Equipment Enigma 20 deg at 22.81oz. I have a 50 degree quilt on the way that is 13oz.

Well, there's one reason - Money cause it ain't cheap! If you can afford it though, ultralight is the way to go. Dyneema tents have too many advantages not to use.
View Quote

The tarptent protrail is 24 oz and like $240,  really not that much when you think how much you spend on a hotel room for just 1 night,  this you can use for hundreds of nights.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JohnClarkUSN:
Most 1P tents are way too tight for me.  I'm 6'3", they also tend to be too short.
So if I carry a tent I typically take a 2P version and will carry the extra weight in trade for more comfort.  
I also like keeping my gear out of the rain.

I have the 2P litefighter, including the winter kit, which is bombproof but heavy.
I also have a Marmot Pulsar 2P (discontinued) which is only 4lbs and really weather proof.
I've had it in rain several trips with no issues.

I have a Marmot Hydrogen bag which weighs just over a pound, but you have to take care of it.  I don't use it when tarp camping.

So if I take a tent I can take a lighter bag.
If I take a tarp I take a heavier synthetic bag.

It tends to balance out.
View Quote

a four pound tent is super heavy.

4lp
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:33:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 Tent
In olive green.

Lightweight, weatherproof, roomy for a 1person tent

https://www.rei.com/product/164192/big-agnes-copper-spur-hv-ul1-tent?color=OLIVE%20GREEN
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#31]

The tarptent protrail is 24 oz and like $240,  really not that much when you think how much you spend on a hotel room for just 1 night,  this you can use for hundreds of nights.
View Quote

Looks like a nice option and a decent price. I use a Zpacks Duplex(.75 dyneema). A little more room and just a tiny bit lighter at 20.95oz
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Looks like a nice option and a decent price. I use a Zpacks Duplex(.75 dyneema). A little more room and just a tiny bit lighter at 20.95oz
View Quote

Yes,  but just a smidge more expensive.    I wish I had one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Yes,  but just a smidge more expensive.    I wish I had one.
View Quote

I know. I weep every time I think about the cost.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yes, but just a smidge more expensive. I wish I had one.

The price is steep but you can't beat the weight savings. Buying used is always an option too, I see lightly used Zpacks tents for sale all the time. I'm sure more will be for sale now that the Durstons X-Mid Pros are shipping. I'll be selling my Duplex now that I got my Durston.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Extorris:

The price is steep but you can't beat the weight savings. Buying used is always an option too, I see lightly used Zpacks tents for sale all the time. I'm sure more will be for sale now that the Durstons X-Mid Pros are shipping. I'll be selling my Duplex now that I got my Durston.
View Quote

How's the roominess of the Durston compared to the Duplex?

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:01:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#36]
How's the roominess of the Durston compared to the Duplex?
View Quote

It's got more floor space but they way the geometry is, one side will slope down and have less headroom than the other side when laying down. That's not a problem for me because I'm going to be using it as a one person tent. I switched because I like the zippered doors better than the clips on the Duplex and I like that it can be set up with the doors all the way down to the ground if there's blowing rain. That was the main reason I got it, I was doing a section of the AT and the high doors on my duplex were letting the blowing rain right under one night. This video on Youtube pretty much nails the pros and cons. It does have a larger footprint and I wouldn't use it without a ground sheet. (I use a tyvek one anyway with the Duplex).

Initial comparisons from 6,000-miler! Xmid pro 2 vs Duplex
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm gonna throw out the Hammock set up... Off the ground if it rains, more comfortable, restful than sleeping on the ground...
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By rodical:
I'm gonna throw out the Hammock set up... Off the ground if it rains, more comfortable, restful than sleeping on the ground...
View Quote

Pretty much.

Y’all probably read my little journey/commentary on getting into hammocks in the other thread here.

It’s not like NH is known for a tree shortage.

In the summer all you really need is a poncho liner if it’s not raining.

Tarp can be set up as a standalone shelter.

I’m not going back to tent camping as an individual. With the woman, kids, dogs, no trees, or maybe a complete monsoon/blizzard sure, bring a tent.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#39]
I’ve always used a small 2 person as a 1 person.  Room to stow gear, move around, not much weight difference.  Used a (no shit) American made North Face for a couple of decades, finally replaced with a Marmot.  Bit heavier, but a bit roomier too.  I do a lot of backpacking out west, desert, and above tree line, so hammocks are out.  Also gotta be free standing.  I’ve also done the tarp - thing.  It’s ok but takes a bit more thought and effort at the end of a hard day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top