BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 104
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keib:
Alright...I started another thread on general planning, but have been following this one. Short version:

My brother bought 20 acres and I'm under contract for 10 acres adjacent. We both have plans to homestead it and have 7 little ranch hands between us.

He visited our local orange dealer (also a client) today and got some prices. 84 months @0%.

Its flat ground. We will both be gardening and have grazing. I'd like an assessment of his list. He is now shopping used stuff, but the plan is for us to have 2 machines and share implements. Commonality isn't a bad thing.

We are a citrus/cattle family, but have never lived the "rural" life. I didn't wish to start yet another thread, as the audience here is awesome. The nearest green outfit is a couple hours away. I rather doubt we both need the hp he is considering. The only other thing we'd both appreciate is a digger, but he is going to pass initially. We have a jcb 4 miles down the road if we have a bigger project. That said, trenches, ditch maintenance, etc., may warrant one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112839/Screenshot_20210622-173913_Messages_jpg-1987820.JPG
View Quote

I like orange tractors over green for the ease of finding skid steer quick attachments. JD uses their own proprietary setup that isn't as available and usually cost a bit more.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Alright...I started another thread on general planning, but have been following this one. Short version:

My brother bought 20 acres and I'm under contract for 10 acres adjacent. We both have plans to homestead it and have 7 little ranch hands between us.

He visited our local orange dealer (also a client) today and got some prices. 84 months @0%.

Its flat ground. We will both be gardening and have grazing. I'd like an assessment of his list. He is now shopping used stuff, but the plan is for us to have 2 machines and share implements. Commonality isn't a bad thing.

We are a citrus/cattle family, but have never lived the "rural" life. I didn't wish to start yet another thread, as the audience here is awesome. The nearest green outfit is a couple hours away. I rather doubt we both need the hp he is considering. The only other thing we'd both appreciate is a digger, but he is going to pass initially. We have a jcb 4 miles down the road if we have a bigger project. That said, trenches, ditch maintenance, etc., may warrant one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112839/Screenshot_20210622-173913_Messages_jpg-1987820.JPG
View Quote

I have had an L3800 for about 10 years and work the hell out of it.

The grapple and valve are invaluable, but you can save 2/3s the cost by getting an MTL grapple and Summit Hydraulics valve kit.

Use the savings to have rear remotes added
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:

The grapple and valve are invaluable, but you can save 2/3s the cost by getting an MTL grapple and Summit Hydraulics valve kit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:

I have a summit 3rd function valve on my l4600 and it's been great. The install was straight forward as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:
I like orange tractors over green for the ease of finding skid steer quick attachments. JD uses their own proprietary setup that isn't as available and usually cost a bit more.
View Quote

SSQA was an option on the green tractor I bought a couple of years back.  Same money as the JD proprietary setup IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:

SSQA was an option on the green tractor I bought a couple of years back.  Same money as the JD proprietary setup IIRC.
View All Quotes

Learn something new every day, every one I've seen has had the JD QA. Seems odd they would offer them both.

Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Learn something new every day, every one I've seen has had the JD QA. Seems odd they would offer them both.

View All Quotes

They get into the mood to change. Then they don’t. Then they do.

I personally believe the JD QA is superior.  No springs. No moving parts. Nothing to break. And I’ve broken several SSQA pieces before on my other equipment. Also no more getting buckets stuck on it. Etc.  

And JD QA is sold at the same recommended manufacturers such as titan equipment. For the same price, if not less.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

JD usually pushes Fossie which cost a bit more.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

I personally believe the JD QA is superior.  No springs. No moving parts. Nothing to break. And I’ve broken several SSQA pieces before on my other equipment. Also no more getting buckets stuck on it. Etc.  

And JD QA is sold at the same recommended manufacturers such as titan equipment. For the same price, if not less.
View All Quotes

I bought a skidsteer to euro quick connect when I bought my last skidsteer. It’s not a bad idea to have Euro connect equipment at auction goes cheaper than name brand or skidsteer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

I bought a skidsteer to euro quick connect when I bought my last skidsteer. It’s not a bad idea to have Euro connect equipment at auction goes cheaper than name brand or skidsteer.
View All Quotes

I really do like it more.

My TN60a with SSQA is essentially a pin on system now.  The SSQA plate on the loader has been rebuilt several times. The springs and guides keep breaking. So now it’s on the manure bucket and not ever getting changed.

I’ve broken the SSQA on my cat 262 as well.

I’ve bent the lips on i don’t know how many SSQA hay forks, the light duty ones just get worn out. So no more tractor supply ones. We bought a super heavy duty one last time.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File
Ever find yourself in a situation and wonder how I got to this point?
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By kentucky_smith:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92324/08A26D81-0881-4E3D-8C88-3581CFE45A66_jpe-1991443.JPGEver find yourself in a situation and wonder how I got to this point?
View Quote

I have not seen a square baler with a pony motor in awhile. I hope you have an accumulator and grapple. Or at least some mentally challenged teenagers that don’t mind working.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#12]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92324/08A26D81-0881-4E3D-8C88-3581CFE45A66_jpe-1991443.JPGEver find yourself in a situation and wonder how I got to this point?
View Quote

Besides the square bailer, what am I supposed to be seeing here?

And what are the two people in the background doing?
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#13]

I have not seen a square baler with a pony motor in awhile. I hope you have an accumulator and grapple. Or at least some mentally challenged teenagers that don't mind working.
View Quote

Better, Amish.  

My 336 JD square baler went down yesterday, couldn't get part I needed. I usually square their hay for $1/bale.   Offered to roll bale, but ended up pulling this thing around for them.  400 bales on this thing today.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 10:05:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kentucky_smith] [#14]
Originally Posted By Merlin:

View Quote
A 60 year old square baler running on a V-twin B&S Vanguard instead of PTO.  What you can't see are the steel wheels.

Amish kids waiting on wagon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#15]
A 60 year old square baler running on a V-twin B&S Vanguard instead of PTO.  What you can't see are the steel wheels.

View Quote

Ha, adventures with the Amish. I'm outnumbered in my neighborhood. There's one group that runs balers like that with a pony engine. Another group uses a hay loader to load loose hay on the wagon, then feed it into a baler parked by the barn and feed it up into the hay mow. Another group owns a round baler and rents a neighbors tractor, ha.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Ever find yourself in a situation and wonder how I got to this point?
View Quote

Ya don't see that every day... or at least I don't.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#18]
Did some work on my Bushhog 286 this last week.  As usual, I used my tractor to lift and move the bushhog around so it was easier to access it and work on it.  The last time I ran the bushhog, one of the runners broke and peeled off, digging big gouges in the dirt.

Here is a poor pic of the peeled back runner:

Of course this is on the bottom of the bushhog, so the first order of business is to bring it into the shop and lift it up so I can work on it at a comfortable height.  To whit:

New runner on the left side.  I decided to just weld it this time instead of using bolts and nuts.

I also reinforced the right side with a new front edge:

I also cleaned out and repaired this broken out section on top of the deck.  This is the "Before" pic, but neglected to take the "After" pic.  

Thanks for looking!

Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I pick up my grapple tomorrow AM.  I’ll post pictures after I use it.

I took my daughter for her first tractor ride today.  I think I can get her to like it enough to drive someday.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By romad99:
I pick up my grapple tomorrow AM.  I’ll post pictures after I use it.

I took my daughter for her first tractor ride today.  I think I can get her to like it enough to drive someday.
View Quote

What grapple did you get?

I don't use mine a ton, but when I do it's an absolutely awesome thing to have.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PA452:

What grapple did you get?

I don't use mine a ton, but when I do it's an absolutely awesome thing to have.
View Quote

I just bought whichever JD Frontier fits my 2025R.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:02:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I dug up a BIG stump Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Did some work on my Bushhog 286 this last week.  As usual, I used my tractor to lift and move the bushhog around so it was easier to access it and work on it.  The last time I ran the bushhog, one of the runners broke and peeled off, digging big gouges in the dirt.

Here is a poor pic of the peeled back runner:

https://i.imgur.com/r83vPkI.jpg

Of course this is on the bottom of the bushhog, so the first order of business is to bring it into the shop and lift it up so I can work on it at a comfortable height.  To whit:

https://i.imgur.com/VX0ragJ.jpg

New runner on the left side.  I decided to just weld it this time instead of using bolts and nuts.

https://i.imgur.com/UVUCBeS.jpg

I also reinforced the right side with a new front edge:

https://i.imgur.com/sf0hfC6.jpg

I also cleaned out and repaired this broken out section on top of the deck.  This is the "Before" pic, but neglected to take the "After" pic.  

https://i.imgur.com/mB3V1ZT.jpg?1

Thanks for looking!

View Quote

Nice work, my brush hog has been scabbed over a time or twenty too...
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Dayum!
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Parade Day. Drove a ‘53 Farmall Super C.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
Parade Day. Drove a ‘53 Farmall Super C.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/781319E6-1C89-44A8-A951-E1C859812CB4_jpe-1996393.JPG
View Quote

You in PA?  Might recognize the parade.  We go down to the lake a lot if i am guessing right
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By everready73:

You in PA?  Might recognize the parade.  We go down to the lake a lot if i am guessing right
View Quote

Yeah you’ve got the right place.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCUrk] [#28]
Today I used my tractor to get dirty...
Maintenance day...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I saved the planet

You’re welcome

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Yesterday:

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Yesterday I found a wet spot and tried to wallow it out.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#32]
https://i.imgur.com/q0MlVjL.jpg
View Quote

Eeeewwwweeee!!

Get it unstuck alright?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#33]
I did some grapple work yesterday too. It's a very handy attachment.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#34]
That grapple looks brand new.  Is it a recent acquisition?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By kill-9:
That grapple looks brand new.  Is it a recent acquisition?
View Quote

@kill-9

I picked it up Friday.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Eeeewwwweeee!!

Get it unstuck alright?
View All Quotes
https://i.imgur.com/q0MlVjL.jpg

Eeeewwwweeee!!

Get it unstuck alright?

Yeah pulled it out with the JD 5400.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Filled a low spot with rocks. Now I need some topsoil to cover them with.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#38]
https://i.imgur.com/otldKMI.jpg
Filled a low spot with rocks. Now I need some topsoil to cover them with.
View Quote

I have more boulders if you need them, no top soil though
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#39]

I have more boulders if you need them, no top soil though
View Quote

I’m rock poor of all sizes. And can’t even sell them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#40]
I didn't get pics, but on Sunday I taught a city boy and his mom how to drive a tractor. The boy doesn't like driving his dad's boat on the ocean, but he loves driving in circles.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:38:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#41]
Here’s the “B in a Box” from earlier posts in this thread from start to finish.  As delivered:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:45:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#46]
Put put put...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

That was a lot of work....
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Outstanding work sir!!!

Do you have time for a 50hr service for my Kubota.........you probably don’t want to touch a wrench for awhile I bet!?
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Doorman63:

Outstanding work sir!!!

Do you have time for a 50hr service for my Kubota.........you probably don’t want to touch a wrench for awhile I bet!?
View Quote

Just did mine 70 hours ago. It’s easy!  I want to say it was $80 for everything you need from Messicks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 104
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top