Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2020 10:34:02 PM EDT
Will try to keep it short. Last weekend in Fl I had booked a thermal hog hunt. Everything started great. 30 seconds from lodge guide spots boar trying to get into "preserve" with other hogs. Has me shoot boar. Boar runs away and never recovered after looking for 30 mins or longer. Asks me what I want to do. I said I came to hunt. Offers to let me shoot one in preserve, which I decline. We drive around and look for next couple hours. No other hogs spotted. Went empty handed and out a good chunk of cash.

Have a gut feeling that they could have let the hog out of preserve and it was just trying to get back in. Hopefully not. But either way what kind of paid hunt would be over in 30 seconds from the lodge?

Am I off base feeling screwed over kind of?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Should have gone shoot in the preserve.  Chasing a wounded wild hog is no promise of recovery.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
yup.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Will try to keep it short. Last weekend in Fl I had booked a thermal hog hunt. Everything started great. 30 seconds from lodge guide spots boar trying to get into "preserve" with other hogs. Has me shoot boar. Boar runs away and never recovered after looking for 30 mins or longer. Asks me what I want to do. I said I came to hunt. Offers to let me shoot one in preserve, which I decline. We drive around and look for next couple hours. No other hogs spotted. Went empty handed and out a good chunk of cash.

Have a gut feeling that they could have let the hog out of preserve and it was just trying to get back in. Hopefully not. But either way what kind of paid hunt would be over in 30 seconds from the lodge?

View Quote
Don’t understand why you are thinking you got  screwed. You chose to hunt rather than kill a penned animal and weren’t successful. This is a fairly typical  hunting experience.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Was it a single hog type hunt? 2 1/2 hours for a thermal hunt seems short, but I guess it’s price dependent. I specially booked two nights on my hunt incase I didn’t see anything the first night
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:37:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe you should have practiced with your weapon to not wound? Nobody is perfect but I’ve lost 1 critter that I shot ith a bow and spent 2 days looking for it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:05:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd say you blamed your bad shooting on the guide. He then offered you a sure kill which you declined. What else was he supposed to do?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:20:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say you blamed your bad shooting on the guide. He then offered you a sure kill which you declined. What else was he supposed to do?
View Quote
I went with a group of 8 people on a Hog hunt in TX.

We did not see a single boar the whole hunt.

The host was a complete drunk that only cared about partying.

It was one of the worst hunting experiences I have ever had. Spent about $1k on the hunt and flight.

Sounds like you have a great experience compared to me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:43:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe you should have practiced with your weapon to not wound? Nobody is perfect but I've lost 1 critter that I shot ith a bow and spent 2 days looking for it.
View Quote
There's always one guy like you that has to assume OP can't shoot because guys like you always, always get a DRT on every shot

OP booked a thermal hog hunt. Do you think he brought his own thermal that he had time to practice with and meticulously confirm zero? Or do you think he was handed a thermal that the guide zeroed?

OP has no way to know how tight the zero was to start with, or whether they gave OP the same ammo they zeroed with either. It also actually does take practice to shoot well with thermal. What was the distance of the shot and the hold over? Was the pig moving, what was the cover like?

There are so many variables to shooting pigs with thermal and it's not as simple as it sounds. Ask me how I know. But you go ahead and keep on assuming guys like OP need to practice and there can't be any other environmental or circumstantial reason for not getting a DRT. Glad you have a crystal ball and know for sure what happened that night and can share with the rest of us

My perspective on OPs situation? Shit happens with pigs and it doesn't always go as planned. That's just how pig hunting works

OP, as far as your question goes hate to say it but that's hog hunting. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's a bust. Sucks you had to fly down and not see anything but there's never really a guarantee when it comes to hogs

Z
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:02:06 AM EDT
[#9]
What was the hunt deal/details?

It's common in the pay to hunt world that once you touch off a round, the hunt provider has delivered on their end.

Sounds like you got a canned hunt... really no hunt to it.

Just a note... you gotta hit hogs further up front than say a deer... I'm talking right above or just forward of the front leg.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:11:00 AM EDT
[#10]
My main problem is only hog was right near lodge and trying to get into pen. If it would have dropped the hunt would have been over in less than 2 mins. That's either dumb luck or kinda setup. The thermal hunt was sold as those who like trigger time and as a 4 hour.

I sorta get not seeing another hog. That makes the one seem more and more setup to me.

As far as shot went, I have more thermal experience than the guide. I wanted to zoom a little, he said it would be grainy and didn't want me to. Though it was a Pulsar Trail 640 model, it zooms just fine. Shot was front shoulder right where instructed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#11]
This is why when people ask me to take them hog hunting and offer to pay that I politely but firmly decline.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:58:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My main problem is only hog was right near lodge and trying to get into pen. If it would have dropped the hunt would have been over in less than 2 mins. That's either dumb luck or kinda setup. The thermal hunt was sold as those who like trigger time and as a 4 hour.

I sorta get not seeing another hog. That makes the one seem more and more setup to me.

As far as shot went, I have more thermal experience than the guide. I wanted to zoom a little, he said it would be grainy and didn't want me to. Though it was a Pulsar Trail 640 model, it zooms just fine. Shot was front shoulder right where instructed.
View Quote
Mind saying where in Florida?

You can't swing a dead cat in central FL without hitting a hog. Killing 10-15 in a couple hours is nothing. More often than not I'll kill a few on the way to set up a coyote calling stand.

This past year, these fuckers camped out under my deer feeder... still killed a nice 8-pt though.

I'm trying to coyote hunt and they come around...

It's nothing to stack bodies...

Make no mistake, these are free-ranging wild hogs, it's just the place I have access to is flat full of hogs.

Of course many paid hunt places have to manage resources, and yes, they have hogs brought in, caught elsewhere. Yep... sounds like you were shooting at a previously captured and released hog.

How often do you come to Florida?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's always one guy like you that has to assume OP can't shoot because guys like you always, always get a DRT on every shot

OP booked a thermal hog hunt. Do you think he brought his own thermal that he had time to practice with and meticulously confirm zero? Or do you think he was handed a thermal that the guide zeroed?

OP has no way to know how tight the zero was to start with, or whether they gave OP the same ammo they zeroed with either. It also actually does take practice to shoot well with thermal. What was the distance of the shot and the hold over? Was the pig moving, what was the cover like?

There are so many variables to shooting pigs with thermal and it's not as simple as it sounds. Ask me how I know. But you go ahead and keep on assuming guys like OP need to practice and there can't be any other environmental or circumstantial reason for not getting a DRT. Glad you have a crystal ball and know for sure what happened that night and can share with the rest of us

I have my own thermal so.........but even with your reasoning, that is no excuse to to verify zero yourself.

My perspective on OPs situation? Shit happens with pigs and it doesn't always go as planned. That's just how pig hunting works

OP, as far as your question goes hate to say it but that's hog hunting. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's a bust. Sucks you had to fly down and not see anything but there's never really a guarantee when it comes to hogs

Z
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#14]
You went to shoot a hog.  Not hunt.  You shot one.  Next time shoot it in the face.

i would be kind of like WTF.  But hog hunting isn't some elitist groups game.  You probably got the normal experience.

when I have gone it's similar.  Just thrown together, but meh.  I was there for beer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#15]
nvm covered above
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#16]
It’s called hunting, not killing. Just like it’s called fishing, not catching fish.

If you had dropped it, I’m sure the guide would’ve been willing to let you stalk around for a couple hours, just no shooting unless charged.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#17]
What was name of outfit?   Pm if you’d rather, I’m just curious.  There’s lots of “guides” advertising now .  Be surprised how many are turning domestic pigs out in “sanctuary “ type pens.  There’s 5 places within 10 miles of us that offer pay to hunt services.  Most of them are les than 20 acres.  They buy trapped pigs, turn them loose.  Folks come from all over to shoot 50 lb pig. You probably ended up with somebody like this, but where looking for more of an actual hunt. And yes, that’s not that uncommon
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Maybe you should have practiced with your weapon to not wound? Nobody is perfect but I’ve lost 1 critter that I shot ith a bow and spent 2 days looking for it.
View Quote
Obviously you haven't hunted hogs before. My partner shot hog with a .308 that went through and through the head. We found that hog the next day being eaten by vultures, 3/4 mile away.  I shot one through the neck that blew its left leg off at the shoulder and it kept running for 50 yards.  Hogs are too stupid to know they are dead.
Don't throw your high and mighty shooting prowness unless you know what you speak of.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Well my son and I won a 36 hour competition this weekend with five hogs, we walked more than 15 miles over the 36 hrs and only slept three hours.  Last month the winner won with three pigs. Other months winners are 30 plus.  It’s called hunting for a reason. Seeing one pig in four hours isn’t bad.  Night shooting if you’ve never done it before is hard, not like the YouTube videos make it out to be.

Like someone said, always book multiple days if you are really set on getting something.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Obviously you haven't hunted hogs before. My partner shot hog with a .308 that went through and through the head. We found that hog the next day being eaten by vultures, 3/4 mile away.  I shot one through the neck that blew its left leg off at the shoulder and it kept running for 50 yards.  Hogs are too stupid to know they are dead.
Don't throw your high and mighty shooting prowness unless you know what you speak of.
View Quote
Yep^

I shot one boar from a tree stand at a range of about 20 yards and he shook off two .308s to the head and was still upset that the sow I shot before o hit him wouldn’t get up. Then I put one between the shoulder blade and managed to spine him. He still groaned for another 30 seconds or so.

This was that day, all of them were shot from the same sounder but came in over the course of about a minute and a half.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well there's always public land. No guarantee you will see anything but if you put the work in. You stand a good chance of success. And believe it or not there's less hunting pressure because people are lazy! Most people want to be lead up to a critter pop said critter pose for hero shots guide clean critter and be back at the lodge telling lies. Then there's the other option buy a small track of land near National Forest and make your own hunting heaven. Sounds to me like success for a canned hunt up until it was trigger time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like hunting to me. Sometimes you have good luck, sometimes bad. Not sure how you can guarantee a free range kill. Most guided hunts you hit it you are done whether retrieved or not if it is just for one animal.

OP, what do you mean by "preserve". Fenced in or just no a hunt area?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#23]
1.  OP has bad shot placement.

2.  Blames hunting guides.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
1. Op Shot hog just in front of front shoulder as instructed, even with 1.1 native zoom on thermal.. Guide didn't want me to zoom the 640 Trail even though my 320 apex is fine at that distance.

2. Not Blaming guide. Just simply asking was it a setup.

Tons of hogs fenced in, lone hog trying to get into fenced in area roughly 200 yards from lodge.  If hog would have dropped my night would have been done in under 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If hog would have dropped my night would have been done in under 2 minutes.
View Quote
I don't think you can fault the guide for this, would you have been pissed if you didn't see a hog at all?

I think you can fault him for not letting you zoom if you asked to do so. The guide on my hunt was very aware of what zoom we needed, changed reticles and showed us different features on the scope. Not that it's really any of my business but what was the cost? I paid $500 a night, but had a guaranteed 6 hours, guaranteed shot opportunity and unlimited pigs (if I did my part)
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
You've never hunted hogs before. That's pretty obvious
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
1. Op Shot hog just in front of front shoulder as instructed, even with 1.1 native zoom on thermal.. Guide didn't want me to zoom the 640 Trail even though my 320 apex is fine at that distance.

Tons of hogs fenced in, lone hog trying to get into fenced in area roughly 200 yards from lodge.  If hog would have dropped my night would have been done in under 2 minutes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've killed a lot of pigs around my wife's pet pigs pen. A few have even climbed the fence and gotten in with the tame hogs. Could be could not only the guide will know. And as far as this goes All Hogs Were Released At Some Point in Time! That's why they are called feral sure some were born in the wild but their parents were still released. And it's amazing how quickly some tame down. Some don't but a few do.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#28]
OP went on a 4-hour thermal hog hunt in Florida and only saw ONE hog.  He has a right to be disappointed in those results.

Part of that is just hunting.  As far as whether it was a setup . . . man, we can't tell you one way or another about that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like hog hunting to me. And yes, you should have gone in the preserve. Sometimes we kill double digits of hogs, sometimes we don't see shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top