Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2019 1:49:29 PM EDT
I need some caliber suggestions here, please. I'm hunting my small private property here in Louisiana, with a few neighbors in fairly close proximity. I have a T/C Encore in 45-70. It's a nice, accurate, and light weight package, but it's freaking brutal on the shoulder to shoot. Also, our primitive rifle season allows Louisiana residents to use a single shot, breach loading rifle with an exposed hammer, in .35 caliber or larger. With that being said, I'd like for it to comply with our primitive rifle season rules, so I would have an extra caliber choice for that as well, besides just my 45-70. My furthest shot is about 60yds on this property. I've noticed Match Grade Machine has a lot of caliber options available for T/C. I'm kind of leaning towards .357 Magnum, .35 Remington, or maybe even 350 Legend, but I'm not quite sure yet. I've got my 30-06 for when I hunt the big woods. This is strictly gonna be my short range, small property rifle, and primitive firearms season rifle. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
357 Max allows you to shoot .357 mag and .38 spec.

I've been using it in a Contender (10") for years and with a 2X or 3X it will easily take down game at 60 yrds.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
35 Remington!
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]
How about .35 Whelen, you've already got 30-06 so blowing out the neck for .35 isn't that difficult and the chambered barrels are available.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
35 Remington is what you seek......
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
35 Remington is what you seek......
View Quote
This guy ^^^^^^ gets it OP. If I were in your situation, I'd go 35 Rem in a second. You can use 357 cal pistol bullets from 110 grain to 200 grain, and there is factory ammo from 150gr-220gr out there. It is a handloaders dream as well.

IIRC there is a "One Load" using 13 grains of Unique (or something similar) and a lead round ball that is a pussycat for plinking and small game.

Am I correct in that you said there are minimum diameter limits in your state? If yes, no change in my answer.

If you can go to a smaller diameter, I would build one in 7mm TCU. 120-150 grain bullets around 2100 fps will kill 75 yards deer all day long.

ETA: Boudreaux and Bubba's bait and Boudin Emporium are FAR, FAR more likely to have the 35 Remington ammo on their shelves than the 357 MAX or 350 LEGEND, just saying. Matters if your not a reloader.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#6]
.375 Winchester if you stumble on one.  It’s a modernized .38-55.  What’s a .38-55 you ask?  The pappy to the .30-30.  Envision the .30-30 blown out to a straight wall cartridge.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Just a plain old 357 mag is pretty potent out of a longer than pistol barrel .

It shoots pretty flat at reasonable distances .

Ammo is available anywhere and easy to reload for.

38 for plinking is cheap.

Not sure if legal in your state for hunting special seasons
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:06:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This guy ^^^^^^ gets it OP. If I were in your situation, I'd go 35 Rem in a second. You can use 357 cal pistol bullets from 110 grain to 200 grain, and there is factory ammo from 150gr-220gr out there. It is a handloaders dream as well.

IIRC there is a "One Load" using 13 grains of Unique (or something similar) and a lead round ball that is a pussycat for plinking and small game.

Am I correct in that you said there are minimum diameter limits in your state? If yes, no change in my answer.

If you can go to a smaller diameter, I would build one in 7mm TCU. 120-150 grain bullets around 2100 fps will kill 75 yards deer all day long.

ETA: Boudreaux and Bubba's bait and Boudin Emporium are FAR, FAR more likely to have the 35 Remington ammo on their shelves than the 357 MAX or 350 LEGEND, just saying. Matters if your not a reloader.

Yes sir. For primitive rifle season in Louisiana, it’s single shot, breech loading rifle or pistol, with an exposed hammer, .35 caliber or larger. A single shot breech loading shotgun, with an exposed hammer, 10 gauge or smaller. Or a traditional muzzle loading rifle, pistol, or shotgun, .44 caliber or larger.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:17:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m gonna look further into that .35 Remington. I noticed Match Grade Machine makes that caliber for T/C. That one may just be the ticket! Looking at the cartridge, it looks like a 300 Blackout’s big brother. That looks like a good short range round for my small property.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File
I have a 357Max that has done very well on whitetail
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
That’s a sweet looking rig! I’m gonna eventually switch my T/C over to a laminate or walnut stock and for end. I like that so much better than the synthetic.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Look at 9.3x62.  You can get a $750 Sauer off EuroOptic.

ETA- never mind saw the primitive rifle part.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I will also recommend the 35 Remington.  My Uncle has started hunting with a Marlin 336 in that caliber and he said he loves how it flattens the deer in the woods where he lives.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’m gonna look further into that .35 Remington. I noticed Match Grade Machine makes that caliber for T/C. That one may just be the ticket! Looking at the cartridge, it looks like a 300 Blackout’s big brother. That looks like a good short range round for my small property.
View Quote
Deerslayer69: my first deer rifle was a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. Shot my first deer with it when I was 11. I now have 4. Great caliber. VERY underrated. A lot of Fudds talk about it being a great “brush gun”.  

First, I’d recommend it. However factory ammo can be difficult to find. It’s great if you hand load. Remington 200 grain Core Lokt bullets are what you seek. Midway USA has them available a few times a year. There’s a whole forum on the .35 over on Marlin Firearms Forum on reloading the .35. The Core Lokts are fairly unanimous in praise.

I wouldn’t consider the .35 Rem a big brother to .300 BLK. Apples to oranges.

If u wanted something new and sexy that 350 Legend is interesting. I’d get and Encore barrel and an AR upper and ur set.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
...44 mag...
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just a plain old 357 mag is pretty potent out of a longer than pistol barrel .

It shoots pretty flat at reasonable distances .

Ammo is available anywhere and easy to reload for.

38 for plinking is cheap.

Not sure if legal in your state for hunting special seasons
View Quote

Would be my choice as well to meet your requirements. Especially if you have or want a 9mm can that is compatible with 357 mag. 38spcl out of a 16” barrel with a can on it is really, really quiet and fun for plinking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top