Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2019 7:19:49 PM EDT
I just bought 254 acres and want to use sea containers to live in.  Any help with suggestions as to welding them together and other major problems would be of great help.  I already have Septic I can hook into as well as 220 electric.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
How cheap are they?

Basic thing to deal with for conex stuff is the only structural points are the end edges and corners, everything else is a beer can.

Oh, and don't bury them without lots of planning.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Google is your friend. Plenty there. Refrigerator containers that don't work are insulated. I bought a 40 ft. for 2800 delivered and they put where I wanted it.
https://www.buildwithrise.com/stories/container-homes-are-exactly-what-they-sound-like-homes
https://www.dwell.com/article/shipping-container-home-floor-plans-4fb04079
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
there are a few threads here.

here's one:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Pics-of-my-shipping-container-Update-page-5-page-9-/17-510228/

a few dont have pics any more, but still have good info
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#5]
they are only a good deal if you can get them delivered easily. if you have a tough drive or need heavy equipment it makes them expensive fast. My inlaws did it and it's set up as a storage garage now.

They aren't as strong as one would think. the sides and top give out easily, but that means they are easy to cut with regular tools and work with. Would be a cool project but not sure it's the best option.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just bought 254 acres and want to use sea containers to live in.  Any help with suggestions as to welding them together and other major problems would be of great help.  I already have Septic I can hook into as well as 220 electric.
View Quote
No you dont.

Its cheaper to build stick frame+insulation+tin roof than it is to retrofit/reinforce/insulate/ventilate/finish a conex.

If you want a place to store stuff its fine once you ventilate with a whirly bird but its not a good place to live.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#8]
This kid built quite the container building, has several videos. fwiw.

How to start your shipping container building project
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#9]
The only reason to use sea containers on your land is either 1.) you want something secure to keep stuff in and/or 2.) they were close to free.

Otherwise they are a terrible option compared to nearly all forms of construction.  That is unless you just want to do it because you think it would be cool.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for the heads up.  My price on 40 foot containers is $3000, but it still looks like I will be lop sided using them
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No you dont.

Its cheaper to build stick frame+insulation+tin roof than it is to retrofit/reinforce/insulate/ventilate/finish a conex.

If you want a place to store stuff its fine once you ventilate with a whirly bird but its not a good place to live.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No you dont.

Every time I've looked at building a small cabin, I come to the same conclusion.  For actual living space, a container sucks.  Like anything else, it can be made to work, but in the end, there's better ways.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
thanks for the heads up.  My price on 40 foot containers is $3000, but it still looks like I will be lop sided using them
View Quote
Fuck that. Post frame/ pole barn style would be way cheaper, at least here in WA.

I got a deal on 4 conexs from a guy clearing out his failed fruit farm operation, said I'd take them on the phone and showed up to pay him within an hour of talking to him. Right now they're expensive locally at $2K+ depending on what exactly it is (mine were all 9'6" tall hicubes)
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to sell finished shipping containers for a living.
After finishing it out with enough insulation and such to make it comfy (don't freeze or melt), you are right at $10k - that's early 2000's prices. We aren't even talking plumbing at that point.
You would be better off getting one of the barn/ carport deals installed. Much more space, more sturdy (ours survived pretty high winds during Irma without a scratch).
We had a 26x50x14 installed. I framed the whole thing with 2x3 and then slapped sheathing and T111 on it. Personal advice here -  order it enclosed - let them install it with the metal on the sides. Framing and enclosing it has been a bitch, because the measurements are all random. Get some closed cell spray foam insulation and go to town. The same insulation works great in containers. Amazing stuff. I tested some on the roof...sprayed about 2 square feet - my hand would burn when I touched the metal and with about 1/8" insulation it would feel like there's no heat at all - not very scientific, but there it is.

For the TLDR crowd...container house = expensive with cramped living space. Get a barn.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Also consider what was shipped in them. We send hay over to Japan in containers and they have to be fumigated with who knows what. Not something I’d like to grind or cut on personally.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I did the barndominium thing.

30x60-12 pole barn with slab.

Built out 650sq/ft with plans to add another 16x60 on the downhill side.

My shop is an extension of the living room.

650sq/ft and 2 german shepherds keeps women from wanting to stay too long.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top