Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2017 8:13:08 AM EDT
So I recently picked up a Montana vantage v2 rifle in 375hh.
I'll be using talley steel bases and qd rings but looking for scope recommendations
Its a pretty light rifle for a 375 and recoil is stout.

What is a good scope for this ? I plan to use it on brown bear in Alaska and hopefully buffalo in Africa these are once in a life time trips so I want good equipment.

Most of the recommendations I find when I search mention Vx-3 1.5-5 but they are older threads usually. any thing new that has proven significantly  better?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:43:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#1]
That VX3 is proven. While I'm sure there are other equivalent options, you won't be disappointed with the Leopold.

That said, my 375s have Zeiss 3-9s on them for larger plains game.  I haven't hunted DG yet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
VX-3i 1.75-6x32mm Compare brightness you will pick this one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I will take the 3-9 conquest off my 30-06 and put it on the 375 and get a new scope for the 06
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mms2:
Maybe I will take the 3-9 conquest off my 30-06 and put it on the 375 and get a new scope for the 06
View Quote
When you realize the .375 is not some huge, mythical elephant gun, but is just a very versatile medium bore with moderate recoil that is easy to learn to manage with a bit of practice, you will see the utility of a 6+ upper power variable scope.

In Africa, I shot a whole bunch of stuff at 6x, a gemsbok at 200ish yards on 9x, and a eland at 40 yards on 3x
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/us/r2-1-6x24-rd/meostarr2-1-6x24rd/ctgRus.html
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I put a Nikon inline XR 3-9x40 on my 375 Ruger African.  I had a Leupold 1-4x20 on it and it wasn't enough magnification for the rifle.  Not to mention when I had it on 4X which was 99% of the time the eye relief was cut down.  
With the Nikon it has 5 inches of eye relief throughout the full magnification range.  It's pretty impressive.  Are there better scopes out there? Sure there are.  But you have to pay big money to get the eye relief that the Nikon offers.  

There are a few people who have them mounted on .416 Rugers and Remingtons as well as other dangerous game rifles and they like the extended eye relief.  One has used his in Africa that I know of and others have used theirs on other high dollar hunts.  

I will be using mine on an Elk hunt when the tag comes in.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
That VX3 is proven. While I'm sure there are other equivalent options, you won't be disappointed with the Leopold.

That said, my 375s have Zeiss 3-9s on them for larger plains game.  I haven't hunted DG yet.
View Quote
Originally Posted By boltedsafe:
VX-3i 1.75-6x32mm Compare brightness you will pick this one.
View Quote
I've got a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5X scope on my 375 H&H and love it. So far I have almost 700 rounds through it the scope is clear as a bell and still holding zero.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Luepold VX3
15.-6 on my 375 and 416 and I have never Wanted more

For me these are DG rifles first and if I need to use them on PG then the high end
Will
Just have to
Be enough

I frequently want more of the lower end of my scopes these days than the higher end
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 1:50:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeDeltaFoxtrot] [#10]
I am interested in this thread.  I just purchased a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express chambered in .375 H&H Magnum.  I am heading to South Africa in June.  I will be taking a .300 win mag as well, with a VX3 4.5-14x40 mounted.  I will be hunting plains game, but there might be a chance at a buffalo as well.  I have a spare VX3i 3.5-10x40 in the box, and I am thinking of using that on the .375 in QD rings after zeroing the irons.

Is that appropriate, or should I get a lower power scope?  If I ever go straight up DG hunting, I will likely get a heavier rifle anyway (e.g. a .458 Lott).

ETA: Which reticle is best for this application?  Duplex?  B&C?  German No. 4?
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 4:32:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cpl_fisher] [#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MikeDeltaFoxtrot:
I am interested in this thread.  I just purchased a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express chambered in .375 H&H Magnum.  I am heading to South Africa in June.  I will be taking a .300 win mag as well, with a VX3 4.5-14x40 mounted.  I will be hunting plains game, but there might be a chance at a buffalo as well.  I have a spare VX3i 3.5-10x40 in the box, and I am thinking of using that on the .375 in QD rings after zeroing the irons.

Is that appropriate, or should I get a lower power scope?  If I ever go straight up DG hunting, I will likely get a heavier rifle anyway (e.g. a .458 Lott).

ETA: Which reticle is best for this application?  Duplex?  B&C?  German No. 4?
View Quote
I have been plains game hunting 2x, and am going back for Buffalo this year. The guide told me to get a 1.5 x5 Leopoldo for my ruger .375, to zero at 75, and practice shooting with both eyes open at 1.5 power
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is a pick of my .375 with the Leupold scope in Warne rings and bases.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top