Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2020 9:15:55 PM EDT
Got a big coyote getting bold with my dogs and made a hole in my fence. Seeing it daily now. Neighbor is killing feral cats so I think that’s what’s bringing it in.

Back up to a few hundred acres, and people are improving the land so can’t go back there and call. They’ve never been dumb enough to come when I call from my side of the fence.

Took a shot this morning but he was too fast.

Plan is to set two snares at the two spots where it is coming through.

What do I need to know about snares?

I grew up with leg/foot traps, but there’s too much traffic of things I don’t wanna catch to try that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
A snare is just as indiscriminate as a leg hold trap. Stick to shooting the coyote.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
If you put it at a hole in the fence that nothing is walking through except coyotes?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Check your game laws, that will usually let you knownwire size, breakaway devices or deer stop requirements.  Other than that you've got it figured out, set it in the hole in the fence.  

As was said, it is indiscriminate of what animal goes through.  With any dogs nearby I'd be hesitant and probably go foothold though if you can't shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Most likely, read hopefully, a domestic dog will just think it is leashed.

But the slider latch will not release if he pulls too hard.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]
There’s no dogs here but mine and none of them are flexible enough to make it through.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Didya get it?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Snares come this week
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Weasel_Master:

As was said, it is indiscriminate of what animal goes through.  With any dogs nearby I'd be hesitant and probably go foothold though if you can't shoot it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Weasel_Master:

As was said, it is indiscriminate of what animal goes through.  With any dogs nearby I'd be hesitant and probably go foothold though if you can't shoot it.

This, I don't understand stand the mentality here. Footholds are indiscriminate traps that still offer the chance of release. Snares are indiscriminate killers with no safe way to release something that may be caught and possibly still be alive.

Snares kill, even "relaxing" snares kill.

Originally Posted By bmnpa:
Most likely, read hopefully, a domestic dog will just think it is leashed. 

But the slider latch will not release if he pulls too hard.

Good luck!

I wouldn't count on it.

I've been snaring yotes on my property for 4 years now. I've snared 32 in the last 16 months. I've also snared 2 red fox, countless coons & opposums, 1 Turkey and 1 domestic canine. It's pretty obvious when there is a struggle. Coons wrap, wind and twist through whatever is nearby until they are so bound up they can't move. Opposums do similar but not as bad. Coyotes will do whatever they can, including climbing fences etc (often binding them up tight.

Want to know what the one domestic did? Pulled straight back, like a dog that doesn't want to take a walk. Want to know the quickest way a snare will kill? Setting it tightly just behind the jaw. Pulling back like that one did set the snare perfectly and it died very fast. There was no struggle, no twisting and winding in fence. The dog was laying straight back with the snare still pulled tightly up around it's neck.

And before you flame me, I'm very careful about how & where I set my snares in order to reduce non-target species. That dog was a long way from home running loose... sometimes things are unavoidable or unforeseen.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Most likely, read hopefully, a domestic dog will just think it is leashed.

But the slider latch will not release if he pulls too hard.

Good luck!

View Quote

By the time a dog thinks it’s leashes it’s gonna be too late with a good snare.  I wouldn’t snare anywhere near domestic animals I didn’t want to get deaded.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Buy your snares at Southern snares https://www.southernsnares.com/products/southern-snares-quick-kill-iii  Where the coyote goes under the fence place the anchor point to a fence post if possible or several strands of the fence take the snare make the loop approx 16" and the bottom of the loop approx 6" off the ground secure the loop with lite wire hooking ties to the sides top and bottom of the loop to hold the snare open as the coyote passes under the fence he will put his head in the loop as he goes under the hooks holding the loop open breakaway and as the coyote pulls away the loop tightens up as it struggles to free itself the snare gets tighter and tighter like a one-way zip tie and strangles the animal it's quick quiet and deadly.  Wear rubber boots and rubber gloves when handling the snares you can use sent free wax on the snares to keep them lubed you can put a few drops of coyote bait on the ground on each side of the fence opening approx one foot from the snare. https://www.southernsnares.com/products/gelatinous-predator-urine  Good luck but one word of caution if I may, this snare can catch other animals also ie Domestic Pets. These snares are killing snares they will kill the coyote or animal caught in it by strangulation, not for the faint-hearted lib-tard.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This, I don't understand stand the mentality here. Footholds are indiscriminate traps that still offer the chance of release. Snares are indiscriminate killers with no safe way to release something that may be caught and possibly still be alive.

Snares kill, even "relaxing" snares kill.

I wouldn't count on it.

I've been snaring yotes on my property for 4 years now. I've snared 32 in the last 16 months. I've also snared 2 red fox, countless coons & opposums, 1 Turkey and 1 domestic canine. It's pretty obvious when there is a struggle. Coons wrap, wind and twist through whatever is nearby until they are so bound up they can't move. Opposums do similar but not as bad. Coyotes will do whatever they can, including climbing fences etc (often binding them up tight.

Want to know what the one domestic did? Pulled straight back, like a dog that doesn't want to take a walk. Want to know the quickest way a snare will kill? Setting it tightly just behind the jaw. Pulling back like that one did set the snare perfectly and it died very fast. There was no struggle, no twisting and winding in fence. The dog was laying straight back with the snare still pulled tightly up around it's neck.

And before you flame me, I'm very careful about how & where I set my snares in order to reduce non-target species. That dog was a long way from home running loose... sometimes things are unavoidable or unforeseen.
View Quote

No flame needed the Dogs owner should be flamed for allowing their dog to roam only a LIB-TARD would flame you but the owner of the Dog is the only one responsible for his dogs death. I had a coyote hang himself on a fence after climbing over it. A lib- tard woman called the Police on me said I hanged a German Shepard mix on a  fence. She trespassed on private property to take photos. and put them all over social media . When it was all over she was arrested and fined $1,000.00 for criminal trespass,  She was ordered to remove the photos and signs she posted on telephone polls and social media or face a Law Suit. She removed it all within one day.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A snare is just as indiscriminate as a leg hold trap. Stick to shooting the coyote.
View Quote

When it comes to eradication we use all the tools in the toolbox, shooting is the most inefficient way when it comes to eradication,  in many places you can't use a firearm due to farm animals & dwelling in close proximity but a combination of the two is the most efficient way to eradicate them. Kill a Coyote save a Deer, Turkey, Quail, or Domestic Pet or Farm Animals. A good Coyote is a Dead Coyote weather he is shot trapped or snared. Eradication is not for people with a jelly-filled Koolaid pumping Lib -Tard Heart. Hunt Hard Shoot Stright Kill Clean Apologize to No One .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top