Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2022 8:12:58 PM EDT
Just started buying some Kuiu gear.

I bought some base utility pants and then a Rubicon jacket which were both on sale. I really like the pants, rugged as hell, starting to like the jacket but was kind of surprised to see they were made in China/ and Indonesia (respectively)

Was curious how you folks feel about their brand, what your favorite items and set up is, if there an alternative company you like better, etc.

Thinking about buying the Axis Hybrid jacket and pants but it's an investment!.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks,

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought some stuff a few years ago and really liked it. I really liked the things Jason was doing. He committed suicide a few years ago, and it just seems like they are trying to compete with Sitka now, which I don't really think Jason was trying to do personally. I will buy their stuff on sale, but Sitka has a lifetime warranty, so I tend to buy from them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought some stuff a few years ago and really liked it. I really liked the things Jason was doing. He committed suicide a few years ago, and it just seems like they are trying to compete with Sitka now, which I don't really think Jason was trying to do personally. I will buy their stuff on sale, but Sitka has a lifetime warranty, so I tend to buy from them.
View Quote

Appreciate that.

I dig a lifetime warranty!
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]
They make some good pieces but I would say competition is starting to get pretty good in that price range and use items. I have a few things from them and I like them, but I also like things from stone glacier, first lite, and Sitka. I probably have more first lite than other brands because I love merino wool and that’s first lite’s bread and butter. I’ll gradually be acquiring stone glacier items because I think they’re better thought out and higher quality construction.

Ultimately I think people need to understand what they need in a clothing piece and find what fits them and their needs the best. I don’t buy camo so that makes it much easier to mix and match
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They make some good pieces but I would say competition is starting to get pretty good in that price range and use items. I have a few things from them and I like them, but I also like things from stone glacier, first lite, and Sitka. I probably have more first lite than other brands because I love merino wool and that’s first lite’s bread and butter. I’ll gradually be acquiring stone glacier items because I think they’re better thought out and higher quality construction.

Ultimately I think people need to understand what they need in a clothing piece and find what fits them and their needs the best. I don’t buy camo so that makes it much easier to mix and match
View Quote

I appreciate that, I'll look into those other brands.

Most of my gear is hiking gear, and not hunting, but it doesn't always live up to the hype and the durability is lacking when I'm wondering around DNR land.

Really happy with the Kuiu gear I've bought so far so (seems durable and pretty light) and I will look into those other brands as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Its good stuff but Sitka is better
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:15:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Hunting partners use KUIU stuff. I am a Firstlite guy but I LOVE my Kuiu pack system.
They make really nice stuff. But an investment it definitely is.
If you spend alot of time outdoors the stuff is worth it though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:28:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hunting partners use KUIU stuff. I am a Firstlite guy but I LOVE my Kuiu pack system.
They make really nice stuff. But an investment it definitely is.
If you spend alot of time outdoors the stuff is worth it though.
View Quote

I spend a lot of time outdoors and I've already started using my kuiu base pants as my new defacto work pants. They are holding up great

Super happy with them and excited to look into some of their competitors. My caveat is that I dont want the camo patterns so some of the aforementioned brands aren't as appealing

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#8]
A bit overpriced, much like Sitka Gear considering the origin. First Light is crap from firsthand reports I've read.

I bought a new pack recently for hunting and after doing much research and reading reviews and suggestions, went with a medium Crossfire pack. Extremely well made, functional design and a good value. I'm a good value guy. I don't mind buying the best, but it better be worth it and I mean not marginally better.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I appreciate that, I'll look into those other brands.

Most of my gear is hiking gear, and not hunting, but it doesn't always live up to the hype and the durability is lacking when I'm wondering around DNR land.

Really happy with the Kuiu gear I've bought so far so (seems durable and pretty light) and I will look into those other brands as well.
View Quote

I know that one or two Youtube hiking channels like JupiterHikes were making pitches for Kuiu recently.
In his case it was for the Peloton 97. His video had me curious enough (I don't own any of their stuff) that I looked at the website, but that model has been sold out.
Keep us advised of how well the brand holds up for you on trail.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used a few bits of Kuiu gear over the past few years.  My favorites are their merino wool 1/3 zip top base layer and attack pants.  Their synthetic T-shirts work really well at keeping sweat off the body, but I do prefer merino wool when its cooler.  I have some other items and just picked up another synthetic 1/3 zip base layer and their larger all in one day pack (not their modular pack.)  My father has used various Kuiu items a bit longer than me and loves them as well.  I also have their guide jacket and just got a pair of their guide pants for Xmas.  I pretty much only buy their stuff when it's on sale.

To date I have 4 base layer tops, 3 different pairs of their pants, 1 jacket, 1 pair of their gators, a belt and couple hats.  It's some of my highest end outdoor/ hunting gear I have and don't use them for work.  I have a pair of their gloves, but they suck in cold weather.  I prefer old fasion wool gloves for hunting.  I just got the VENTURE 2300 size M but haven't used it beyond wondering around my house with it on.  I have used the following brand packs the last few years and have not found my holy grail hunting pack but hope this is it.  LLBean, Slumberjack, and Kelty.  I liked the Kelty but I was using a larger internal frame pack not really designed for hunting.  I also liked my Sluberjack and used it for a few years, but the waste belt strap started to rip out, so I sent it back in for repair, which they did, but it started to pull apart again just after a little use post repair, so I figured it's time to move on to something different.  I will probably turn it into a quick grab and go bag.  I doubt it will bother under normal load but whatever pack I am using needs to be capable of hauling half a boned-out deer minimum because we hunt so far off grid.

I have always heard good stuff about Sitka and First Lite but don't have any.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have used a few bits of Kuiu gear over the past few years.  My favorites are their merino wool 1/3 zip top base layer and attack pants.  Their synthetic T-shirts work really well at keeping sweat off the body, but I do prefer merino wool when its cooler.  I have some other items and just picked up another synthetic 1/3 zip base layer and their larger all in one day pack (not their modular pack.)  My father has used various Kuiu items a bit longer than me and loves them as well.  I also have their guide jacket and just got a pair of their guide pants for Xmas.  I pretty much only buy their stuff when it's on sale.

To date I have 4 base layer tops, 3 different pairs of their pants, 1 jacket, 1 pair of their gators, a belt and couple hats.  It's some of my highest end outdoor/ hunting gear I have and don't use them for work.  I have a pair of their gloves, but they suck in cold weather.  I prefer old fasion wool gloves for hunting.  I just got the VENTURE 2300 size M but haven't used it beyond wondering around my house with it on.  I have used the following brand packs the last few years and have not found my holy grail hunting pack but hope this is it.  LLBean, Slumberjack, and Kelty.  I liked the Kelty but I was using a larger internal frame pack not really designed for hunting.  I also liked my Sluberjack and used it for a few years, but the waste belt strap started to rip out, so I sent it back in for repair, which they did, but it started to pull apart again just after a little use post repair, so I figured it's time to move on to something different.  I will probably turn it into a quick grab and go bag.  I doubt it will bother under normal load but whatever pack I am using needs to be capable of hauling half a boned-out deer minimum because we hunt so far off grid.

View Quote

I appreciate the input.

I've heard their attack pants are one of their bests selling signature items. I have a couple pairs of the base pants and I love them, but just like yourself I've thus far only bought things when they are "on sale" and Kuiu doesn't tend to have that many sales that are substantive (lots of 40% items but they are mostly t-shirts, hoodies, and hats)

I'll be buying some of their base layers because I've heard such good things (and actually went to pull the trigger without a sale the other day) but right now their website is stocked out of almost everything that isn't in a camo color. Lots of "more arriving in Feb or May or August"

Again, appreciate the first hand experience. I feel good with my packs right now (have a Kelty Coyote and Osprey Atmos) but I use them for hiking as opposed to hunting so the durability aspect doesn't come into play as much
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I appreciate the input.

I've heard their attack pants are one of their bests selling signature items. I have a couple pairs of the base pants and I love them, but just like yourself I've thus far only bought things when they are "on sale" and Kuiu doesn't tend to have that many sales that are substantive (lots of 40% items but they are mostly t-shirts, hoodies, and hats)

I'll be buying some of their base layers because I've heard such good things (and actually went to pull the trigger without a sale the other day) but right now their website is stocked out of almost everything that isn't in a camo color. Lots of "more arriving in Feb or May or August"

Again, appreciate the first hand experience. I feel good with my packs right now (have a Kelty Coyote and Osprey Atmos) but I use them for hiking as opposed to hunting so the durability aspect doesn't come into play as much
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the input.

Glad I could provide some useful info. I also have a Kelty Coyote that I used this year for hunting, and durability isn't the issue, but it tends to be noisy and sets high on the back and catches when I go under things.  The load lifters are also annoying with a shoulder slung rifle.  Its ability to organize hunting gear also suffers but it's a fine hiking/ camping pack.  Kelty is one of my favorite pack brands that I often recommend.  I have more than half a dozen various models including my all-time favorite Kelty Cache Hauler which was discontinued several years ago.

My only small complaint is they build their cloths for tall thin folk.  My normal size is a L or XL depending on brand or item.  My pants size is 38 waist and 30 length...  But I needed a 2XL in their jacket to fit around my shoulders with just a base layer and because of that the sleeves are about 4 inches too long which drives me nuts.  I have thought about hemming them like I do my pants but then I lose the ability to veclro them closed.  I hesitate at an alteration that loses functionality when talking the price of this gear.

I don't have any of their lower body base layers, my legs usually do just fine with a basic synthetic layer.  My upper body requires more regulation when wondering through the wilderness.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Glad I could provide some useful info. I also have a Kelty Coyote that I used this year for hunting, and durability isn't the issue, but it tends to be noisy and sets high on the back and catches when I go under things.  The load lifters are also annoying with a shoulder slung rifle.  Its ability to organize hunting gear also suffers but it's a fine hiking/ camping pack.  Kelty is one of my favorite pack brands that I often recommend.  I have more than half a dozen various models including my all-time favorite Kelty Cache Hauler which was discontinued several years ago.

My only small complaint is they build their cloths for tall thin folk.  My normal size is a L or XL depending on brand or item.  My pants size is 38 waist and 30 length...  But I needed a 2XL in their jacket to fit around my shoulders with just a base layer and because of that the sleeves are about 4 inches too long which drives me nuts.  I have thought about hemming them like I do my pants but then I lose the ability to veclro them closed.  I hesitate at an alteration that loses functionality when talking the price of this gear.

I don't have any of their lower body base layers, my legs usually do just fine with a basic synthetic layer.  My upper body requires more regulation when wondering through the wilderness.
View Quote

Ha! You know the fit/size I worry about as well a bit.

I lift weights and stay healthy but what I've ran into is that both the jacket and the pants fit like they were tailored for a suit (which is awesome in some ways but not so awesome in others) and unfortunately it means I can't carry when I wear them as work pants because there's no excess for an IWB. If I size up to get more room in the waist then the legs would be too long. . . so it's kind of a conundrum that will probably end with a different style holster, we'll see. I also worry about getting a jacket that's too small and then uncomfortable when I layer up. It's a little more stressful than usual because it's all online and you're talking about a pretty decent chunk of change to purchase a complete system.

I think right now I'm in a holding pattern. Need to wait for the items I want to come in stock in non-camo patterns but will probably just check back regularly for a sale.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I lift weights and stay healthy but what I've ran into is that both the jacket and the pants fit like they were tailored for a suit (which is awesome in some ways but not so awesome in others) and unfortunately it means I can't carry when I wear them as work pants because there's no excess for an IWB. If I size up to get more room in the waist then the legs would be too long. . . so it's kind of a conundrum that will probably end with a different style holster, we'll see. I also worry about getting a jacket that's too small and then uncomfortable when I layer up. It's a little more stressful than usual because it's all online and you're talking about a pretty decent chunk of change to purchase a complete system.

I think right now I'm in a holding pattern. Need to wait for the items I want to come in stock in non-camo patterns but will probably just check back regularly for a sale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% wait for a sale or closeout.  Once temps drop significantly, I step up to gortex winter pants, or wool gear.  On long weekend hunts I run my Kuiu gear down to the teens in temp but once temps drop to zero or lower, I fall back on my old school wool and gortex LLBean or cabalas gear I have had for many years.  When we hunt off grid out west, I run my Kuiu stuff only and deal with the temps.

I only noticed this sizing issue with the one jacket I have.  All the other shirts I have from the last couple years are XL.  Prior to that (3 or 4 years ago?) it was L because at some point they moved their size scale.

I have found their waste size to be pretty accurate with what I am used to.  I always size up for hunting gear, so I have plenty of room to tuck in layers.  I would have to do the same for IWB carry.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not a brand slut.  I own gear from all the big brands.  IMHO all the big brands have certain gear that is their bread and butter.

Personally I prefer Kuiu in the warmer season.  Archery season Kuiu is my go to.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Kuiu makes some good stuff.  I remember when their big selling point was "made in North America" which meant Canada at the time. It was shady how they switched to Chinese manufacturing without telling anyone.  People got their orders and started noticing that it said made in China instead of Canada then people realized that over time their promotional materials had been phasing out the "made in North America" messaging.  Jason doubled down on the "same quality, same price" and that it was necessary to scale the business.  There was the associated outrage and then people forgot similar to Mystery Ranch moving alot of their stuff overseas.  People acted passed for a minute them move on but still bitch about everything being made on the other side of the Pacific.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Kuiu makes some good stuff.  I remember when their big selling point was "made in North America" which meant Canada at the time. It was shady how they switched to Chinese manufacturing without telling anyone.  People got their orders and started noticing that it said made in China instead of Canada then people realized that over time their promotional materials had been phasing out the "made in North America" messaging.  Jason doubled down on the "same quality, same price" and that it was necessary to scale the business.  There was the associated outrage and then people forgot similar to Mystery Ranch moving alot of their stuff overseas.  People acted passed for a minute them move on but still bitch about everything being made on the other side of the Pacific.
View Quote

I also found that interesting.

Every piece I've bought from them seems to have been made in a different location.

Rain Jacket in Vietnam, soft shell in China, and pants in Indonesia
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought the Kenai soft jacket and Kutana Storm Shell a few months ago and they’re great. The soft jacket is my go to jacket, and I can add the Storm Shell when it gets really cold. They fit very well together. The Storm Shell also fits very well alone.

I miscalculated and wore my Kenai to a 2 gun match yesterday. I had to take a couple of dives onto my elbows and the jacket held up fine, I just wiped it off with a wet rag when I got home.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve been using Kuiu for a couple years now, have some of their kutana and attack pants as well as the peloton 97 & 210 mid layers, some light wool blend gloves and beanie, neck gaiters, I’m very happy with all of it. I will be picking up some of their outter layers before the upcoming season.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 2:23:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I have bought a ridiculous amount of Kuiu gear since I started this thread and have some pants on the way
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top