Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Swindle1984:
ETA: I'd wondered if Half had gotten sick or something since he wasn't posting any more.

nope - he's around, just not posting more chapters of this one right now...
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Update? please
I need to know what happens next.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Errr, I have really enjoyed HF's writing for a long time now. And, I'm not aware of anyone getting rich self publishing although I know some that I think should have... Is there a way we can pre pay for a copy of this book? I would be happy to send a check for 30 bucks or hit a pay pal button but I'm thinking that if there were pre orders the publishing house could be more then usually assured of some definite number of sales and that -that- could help drive down the unit cost. What say the forum? (aka bk425)
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]
He's been busy with Jack Spirko over at thesurvivalpodcast.com  putting "Lights Out" into an Audiobook format. They've got a trial/sample version available for the asking.

That it if I have the info correct.  He could be already at his BOL and hunkered in the bunker.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 4:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mills11b] [#5]
Ok here it goes. I've read everything that's been written by Halffast so far. He's done a very fine job IMHO.
Bug-out? Short sweet and to the point. If we really look at ourselves how much of us do we see in that story? Be honest
Lights out- Very good and pretty believable. Covers a lot of what to do if's and that's fine. These are the guys WE would like to THINK we are
Lost and Found- So far so good. So what if DJ's a jerk! I'm SURE nobody knows ANYBODY like this on any of the forums we've been to do we? The people that are going to be reading this are not ones that need to worry about our "image". I'm sure that good will defeat evil in the end and that's what it's all about. If it cause us to REALLY look at ourselves it's a good thing.
Above all else, IT'S A WORK OF FICTION!!!! It's for entertainment purposes.
I'm willing to toss in the $$$ in advance to get a copy of this BTW.

Good job

Bob
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Mills11b:
Ok here it goes. I've read everything that's been written by Halffast so far. He's done a very fine job IMHO.
Bug-out? Short sweet and to the point. If we really look at ourselves how much of us do we see in that story? Be honest
Lights out- Very good and pretty believable. Covers a lot of what to do if's and that's fine. These are the guys WE would like to THINK we are
Lost and Found- So far so good. So what if DJ's a jerk! I'm SURE nobody knows ANYBODY like this on any of the forums we've been to do we? The people that are going to be reading this are not ones that need to worry about our "image". I'm sure that good will defeat evil in the end and that's what it's all about. If it cause us to REALLY look at ourselves it's a good thing.
Above all else, IT'S A WORK OF FICTION!!!! It's for entertainment purposes.
I'm willing to toss in the $$$ in advance to get a copy of this BTW.

Good job

Bob

Enough said right there.  If we are honest, we all probably know a few Mark's (Lights Out) and a few DJ's (Lost and Found) - hopefully more of the former.

Keep up the good work Halffast.  Really looking forward to the remainder of the story.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Love what you've got so far!

I agree with many others in DJ having progressed to rapidly from good to not-so-good.

Hoping for more / link to buy!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I've enjoyed the read so far.

However...

The characters are getting less and less believable.  The preacher is kind of cheesy.  Maybe if he quit calling everyone brother it wouldn't be so bad.  I'm not getting in to Gabe's story at all in the last few chapters.  His little romance is dull and getting to be kind of annoying.  I found myself skipping paragraphs.  

DJ's journey to being a bad guy seems a little rushed.  His recent decisions and reactions aren't very believable.  

So far I liked Lights Out much, much better.  I would publish LO before I published this.  That being said, I'll still buy Lost and Found when/if you publish it.

This is meant as constructive criticism, hope it helps.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:24:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: donne3] [#10]
Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:

However...

The characters are getting less and less believable.  The preacher is kind of cheesy.  Maybe if he quit calling everyone brother it wouldn't be so bad.  I'm not getting in to Gabe's story at all in the last few chapters.  His little romance is dull and getting to be kind of annoying.  I found myself skipping paragraphs.  

DJ's journey to being a bad guy seems a little rushed.  His recent decisions and reactions aren't very believable.  

So far I liked Lights Out much, much better.  I would publish LO before I published this.  That being said, I'll still buy Lost and Found when/if you publish it.

maybe it's regional, but down here (and in NC, in my experience), that's what they call folks.  Brother (first name here) or Sister (first name here)

he appreciates every bit he gets, so keep it coming.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#11]

However...

Thanks so much.  These are exactly the kind of comments I'm looking for.  While I don't normally do this, let me try to answer some of your concerns (hopefully without being defensive).

As Donne3 said about the Preacher, this is very common in the south, especially with black ministers.  With Gabe and Jane's romance, I understand that it's a little boring.  I'm not quite sure as to what to do about it.  I am certainly open to suggestions.

I do agree that DJ transformation does not seem smooth.  I have two answers to that.  First, remember that this is the first draft and I would go back and fix some things before I went to a publisher.  Second, I don't think it's quite as rushed as you think it is.  DJ has always had scumbag tendencies.  There are hints of this all the way back to the beginning of the book.  I have noticed that the readers want DJ to be good and many of them were pulling for him even as he slid further and further toward the bottom.  When it becomes obvious to them that he is unredeemable (is that a real word?) it seems sudden, but it is their hopes and feelings, not DJ, that changed so suddenly.

I agree that LO is a much better story.  This one has kind of lost steam.  I do still plan to finish it, but each chapter becomes harder to write.  The end of LO was like that too.  I started writing this as a challenge to our survivalist stereotypes.  I'm not sure how successful it is, but my hope was to make us look hard at ourselves and our prejudices.  

Thanks again for your comments.  They are taken in the constructive spirit.  If you, or anyone else has any thing to add, please feel free.  Discussions like these revigorate my creative juices (and they help to get my lazy ass back to work, too! ).  

David

Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Good to hear from you David!

I have been unable to come up with any criticism for this story, other than I wish I did'nt have to wait so long for the next chapter
Link Posted: 5/5/2009 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#13]
A guy like DJ that has never had to face, in reality, a seriously tough situation, may very well make some bad decisions by taking the easy road/shortcut choice, turning things from bad to worse very quickly.  With a possibly shaky foundation of character to start with, I can see someone like that doing just what DJ has done in taking one shortcut after another, and starting to get used to being on the other side of the line, AFTER he notices that he has already crossed it.  Today's mostly pampered lifestyle may not have prepared DJ for making the right choice, but has gotten him used to being able to make and easy one.  Just the thoughts of an admiring reader.

You've got a very good story going, looking forward to buying the completed version.  And thanks one more time for sharing it with us!
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By donne3:

However...

maybe it's regional, but down here (and in NC, in my experience), that's what they call folks.  Brother (first name here) or Sister (first name here)

I have a few thoughts on these things.

Being born and raised in Ohio I have not heard or maybe just not noticed "brother" used in this capacity until very recently.  I have to say that if you call me "Brother" and you are not my actual brother or a very, very close friend I will look at you funny.  And, I do not mean in a "haha" funny way.  More like a "What are you selling?" funny.

The heavy use of religion as a force for good is getting boring more than anything. It is a repeated theme and is predictable. Maybe a little power play in the church would be more realistic or believable. A house divided as it were. Maybe a competing church would be the ticket. It's just too easy to believe.  I grew up the grandson of a preacher.  That's how I know.

The romance is fine and I think adds to the character development as much as, if not more than the alcoholism. Keep it going.

DJ, In my mind, is one of the more believable characters that I think you've ever written.  He is reacting to stresses and situations in ways that at least I can envision him acting.  He's not a character with all the answers.  I like that.  Things go wrong for him and he doesn't always get the solution right. He survives but mostly by digging himself a deeper hole.  That is how life can be. I think you have some serious potential here. He could become a total sociopath or find his humanity and survive only to live in regret and anguish to the ripe old age of 102.  

Keep those creative juices flowing!

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 8:36:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: acman145acp] [#15]
Maybe "brother" is a regional thing.  I never been to church in Yankee land

But i've even heard Methodist Clergywomen(insert laughter hear cause i was going to say something really funny that would surely offend people

) use the term.

If i was in a church in the south and the Pastor or deacons didn't refer to me as brother i'd know i wasn't welcome.

I try not to get involved in the discussions of technical stuff that deals with Halffast writing because one i have no literary skills and two i'm bias i just know i like what i read.

The real thing i wanted to coment on was people not seeing DJ as a beleivable charachter or seeming rushed to go bad that fast.

Maybe i've just seen the worst in people but i can assure you that their are people out their that will go that far south in a heartbeat it wouldn't even take an event like what he's in.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I think part of why it's slowed down is that Gabe & Co. are getting along too well now.  Needs some conflict and suspense.  Maybe a midnight raid of the town, everyone turns to gabe and he botches it.  Becomes lost.  Dj steps in as the hero?

I think one thing that kept me hooked on lights out was the great plot twists.  

Let me know if I'm "helping" too much.  

When you write do you have a pretty well planned out outline and just add "meat to the bone" or do you just go at it with some vague idea of what's going to happen?

Thanks!  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Any updates on this?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By donne3:

However...

Heck, we call my pastor "Brother".
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I like how Gabe goes from "lost to found"...

And how DJ goes from "found to lost"...

It's an interesting transfer, and unless I'm wrong, that is what David intended to do..

But none-the-less its a great story line!
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 3:32:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kimber_glock_beretta] [#20]
I know I can believe DJ 's character. Take away AR15 and some of the people I've learned from in the survival forum and I could see myself following the same road. Maybe not as bad, but each situation is different.

Great read HF
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#21]
This story is so good.  It has a lot of refinements we didnt see in LO (which I couldnt put down, btw)

In LO I felt there was too much gratuitous gun descriptions.  Kinds seemed cheesy, like gun shop talk.  In this story, however, it is quick and to the point.  The man has a carbine thats all we need to know.  When he uses it, we experience via the first person POV how the chevron looks as he squeezes off the round.  THAT is the type of gun talk that makes sense in a story.

I also like the transition in DJ.  How at the beginning he fancied himself a public servant of sorts but when the chips are down finds he only gives a shit about himself.  I am interested to see where that goes, and of course to see what the main conflict of the story will be.

Also, I like that you haven't included any of the survival pulp staples or gimmicks, such as the widespread practice of trading with precious metals.  I loved how they held a simple, believable swap meet instead.  That makes sense.  People in my community would really do that.

Hmmm I guess if I think of more I'll post it.  Great job so far.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Very interesting and engrossing story. I am disappointed we won't get the rest until it's published, but I understand the reasoning. Thanks for sharing and keep us updated, please.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I seem to have missed that no more of the story is coming until its published.

Ok, hope it gets published soon.  I would gladly pay to read it.

......Mounger
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#24]
David,

Another fantastic story. Just finished and couldn't stop reading.  I look forward to purchasing the completed book.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cwm1150:
Very interesting and engrossing story. I am disappointed we won't get the rest until it's published, but I understand the reasoning. Thanks for sharing and keep us updated, please.

I am seriously rethinking this.  I might post the rest of the rough draft and then pull it when the finished version is available.  

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement.  You guys and gals are the best!

David
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Halffast:

I am seriously rethinking this.  I might post the rest of the rough draft and then pull it when the finished version is available.  

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement.  You guys and gals are the best!

David

Please don't tease! Thanks for everything and can't wait to see the final version too!
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#27]
After reading about DJ, Peter and his wife, I don't feel like I want to finish the book.  

I get the feeling that the story line is forcing the events of the book in a manner that is not coherent and that does not ring true any more.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Mannlicher:
I get the feeling that the story line is forcing the events of the book in a manner that is not coherent and that does not ring true any more.

Can you tell me how?  What makes you feel this way?  Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I really want to know.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:52:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mannlicher] [#29]
There were hints early on, that DJ was a jerk.  Security at the Mall job & all.  Still, he came off initially as a decent sort.  As he progressed from concern to glee at killing, and the way he treated the young widow...............

I got the feeling that he became just a poster boy for a metamorphic slide into depravity, and that the things he was doing, and the changes in his attitude and behavior were molded by what you wanted to show, not what the plot called for.

I am not a writer, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, so its difficult to type out my thoughts on this.
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 12:29:14 AM EDT
[#30]
There were hints early on, that DJ was a jerk.  Security at the Mall job & all.  Still, he came off initially as a decent sort.  As he progressed from concern to glee at killing, and the way he treated the young widow...............

I got the feeling that he became just a poster boy for a metamorphic slide into depravity, and that the things he was doing, and the changes in his attitude and behavior were molded by what you wanted to show, not what the plot called for.

I am not a writer, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, so its difficult to type out my thoughts on this.

DJ sounds like a former associate of mine that wqas cut loose when we found he had a "Darker side" So I'm intrigued on how this is going to turn out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Great story so far I agree with everyone that DJ needs a little more back story to get a better feeling for him and a little doubt about his ethics.  Other than that I would like to thank you for all of the enjoyment that you have given us all.  I read patriots first and though it was such a good book that it would change so many views about being prepared.  But then I read Lights Out and was blown away I have to argee with your thoughts when you wrote it.  You really captured my interest in the book and I was hoping it wouldn't end.  Thank you, keep up the good work and I would gladly pay for the final installment
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Great story! But I need more!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#33]
updates? where do i send my money?
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I thought you said you were posting another chapter a page or 2 ago

I have to disagree with several of the posts about DJ. While I did not like how he treated the widow she was pretty shady and strange and he didnt shoot her SHE shot herself leaving her child an orphan. For the most part tho he was a real A-hole about the whole thing.

I think it would be very easy for someone to go native in a hurry especially in a weapons free situation. Think about it. The world is falling apart around you , you have to leave your home. Not to mention you are constantly in fear for your life. Nothing seems to be going right and its you vrs the world.  I could see where desperation would have set in by that point.

Don't forget hes also headed to a BOL the group was selling? He may actually have no where to go. This didnt really make sense to me. I would have assumed he would have been nicer to the widow and gotten a base of operations going. Spending a few weeks hording gas and supplies. Then traveling light and fast to retrieve supplies to bring back.  

I honestly think that the tail end of the widow story needs some tweaking. It was a good focal point and then just randomly ended. Some thing with the farmer segment. It just seemed kind of dry.

JT
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I find myself disagreeing with many of the posts here. I think this story is far superior to "Lights Out". The characters are significantly deeper and undergo much more interesting development. The conflict is much more varied. "Lights Out" was a fun read and contained some fantastic food for thought, but Halffast's increasing skill as a writer is evident here.

I'm not inclined to criticize works in progress because I know that books take on a life of their own, and often finishing Chapter 30 makes the writer want to overhaul Chapters 1-29. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, and thanks for the sneak peek in the meantime.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By LordGibson:

And *cough* a relative share of the profits when you publish and become a bajillionaire.

LG.

If, big IF, that ever happens, there will be a big party at my new huge South Texas ranch with some VERY nice party favors for all the readers.    

I'm gonna hold you to that.

+1  what he said
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I have enjoyed reading this story Halffast!  Thank you for writing it.

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#38]
more!!! more!!! more!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#39]
I have not read any of this yet. I just found out about it.

I will tell you that I read One Second After and was pretty disappointed that a) it wasn't LO and b) it was not nearly as good.

I have not read every post on here as I don't want to spoil the read, but I did catch a suggestion of ponying up $$. If that came to fruition, I need to know how to do it.

LO deserves to line your pockets. GREAT READ!
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Adirondack1:

DJ sounds like a former associate of mine that wqas cut loose when we found he had a "Darker side" So I'm intrigued on how this is going to turn out.

At least DJ isn't pushing a tactical assault wheelbarrow with debarked chihuahas in it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By KeithMann:
I find myself disagreeing with many of the posts here. I think this story is far superior to "Lights Out". The characters are significantly deeper and undergo much more interesting development. The conflict is much more varied. "Lights Out" was a fun read and contained some fantastic food for thought, but Halffast's increasing skill as a writer is evident here.

I'm not inclined to criticize works in progress because I know that books take on a life of their own, and often finishing Chapter 30 makes the writer want to overhaul Chapters 1-29. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, and thanks for the sneak peek in the meantime.

I agree, the evolution of the characters in this one is better than in Lights Out, and I still think Halffast should be making money off of Lights Out by getting it edited and published.

We get hints that DJ is an asshole (such as when he's checking out the girl) before we get to the supposed widow, but I think a little more evidence of his selfish nature should go into his background.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#42]
You guys are all too kind.  Thanks for all of the support.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#43]

We get hints that DJ is an asshole (such as when he's checking out the girl) before we get to the supposed widow, but I think a little more evidence of his selfish nature should go into his background.

I just finished reading the story.
Generally, I liked the de-evolution of the DJ character more than the evolution of the Gabe character.  The Gabe character development was too predictable (sorry).    
I would suggest the opposite background evidence of DJ being a jerk in his back story - especially the security guard job and the connotations that come with it - wantabe cop or comando.  It is great when the reader identifies with a character and then the character changes in an unpredictable direction.  I think in Lights Out the hero was an accountant and he grew into the leader.  So if the guns and even some of the prep could be downplayed more people would identify with him at first.  Instead of all the specific SHTF preparations; his pre-bugging out preparations could be items that have duel uses - hunting (including the quad) and backpacking equipment .  This would also make he become more desperate and less tolerant of people he encounters.

At the end - the farmer not giving DJ 2 gallons of gas after DJ saves the farmer's and wife's life and it being an accident was not believable to me.    Have DJ de-evolve step by step and try to make his rational palatable to the reader.   DJ asks for 2 gallons of gas, farmer says no, DJ steals 5 gallons of  gas plus food.  DJ can kill someone for something else he needs later.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2009 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#44]
we need more!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By enkry:
we need more!!!

+10

Link Posted: 10/17/2009 6:35:20 AM EDT
[#46]

David

I know that I, and probably most others, will buy the published version regardless of whether I've read the complete online version or not.  My one and only disappointment in LO is that it's not available in a hardcopy, so I've had a hard time getting my wife to read it.  I would GLADLY fork over any reasonable price for the published version(s).  Light's Out is an entertaining, engrossing, and eye-opening read, and in my opinion is as good as anything by any published author.  Thank you.

I find it fascinating to follow this thread and watch you craft a piece of (epic?) literature before our very eyes, with input from (and interaction with) the other forum members.  Bravo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#47]
2 questions...

Halffast did you forget about this story?

Why have you not pulled lights out off the web and found a way to sell copys yet?

It seems like this story is VERY popular with the community/ Heck ive read it 2 or 3 times not to mention ive met people who tell me about it. Its really ALL OVER the net. People have posted that their wife had it bound for them. There has to be a way even if it isnt thru a "publisher"!!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
2 questions...

Halffast did you forget about this story?  I haven't forgotten about it.  I've been working on a new chapter, but it is slow going right now.

Why have you not pulled lights out off the web and found a way to sell copys yet?  I am working on it.  I don't want to pull it off of the net until I have to.  My purpose was never to make money on LO (not that I'm opposed to making a little if things work out), but to get people who weren't preppers to become at least a little preparedness aware.

It seems like this story is VERY popular with the community/ Heck ive read it 2 or 3 times not to mention ive met people who tell me about it. Its really ALL OVER the net. People have posted that their wife had it bound for them. There has to be a way even if it isnt thru a "publisher"!!!!  If the deal I'm working on now doesn't work out, I will probably self-publish.  

Thanks for the interest.  I really am humbled that so many of you enjoy these modest works and take the time to let me know.  You guys and gals are the best!

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#49]
BTW I think DJ's slip to the darker side of human nature is great. It shows how easily one can find themselves so far from their normal moral bearings because of the enviorment they are living in.  The society he lived in was held togather by a thread. He had to abandon his home. The threat of death looming in every shadow. I think thoose stresses would cause anyone to grow cold blooded in a hurry.  

Just like a starving man will kill for food.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#50]
damnit!!!! I saw this thread in the active topics thread and got excited cuz I thought there was a new chapter. Hell I've damn near forgot the beginning of the book at this point. Although, I am a huge fan of Halffast's work.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top