Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2021 12:44:26 AM EDT
First hog hunt coming up soon. Debating with myself wether to bring a 30-30 Lever, .243 Bolt, 5.56 Freedom Machine or Good Ol' 12 Ga with 00 Buck. Sounds like we'll be hiking in to blinds early morning and they do some baiting to keep them around. I'm waiting to hear particulars about if it will be fields, woods, brush, and ground blind or elevated.

For now, what would you guys say would be a good Do-it-all tool for me to stock the freezer?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I normally use a 5.56 AR with a 1-4x for hogs on our farm. I carry either fusions or handload 55gr hornady SPs with good results either way.  When I can, I shoot them right at the base of the ear.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 1:00:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By frankjt:
I normally use a 5.56 AR with a 1-4x for hogs on our farm. I carry either fusions or handload 55gr hornady SPs with good results either way.  When I can, I shoot them right at the base of the ear.
View Quote

Appreciate the quick response. For ARs I only have Eotech and Aimpoint. Would I be better served with a scoped bolt action? Or maybe this is the nudge i need to get a LPVO!
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you know where to shoot.  Hogs have everything shifted forward.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mfinaustin:
Make sure you know where to shoot.  Hogs have everything shifted forward.
View Quote

Interesting! No behind the shoulder shots? So ideally head on center mass or sideways head shot below ear? Yeah... I'll probably need a scope.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Terrain will matter. Shotgun in close with slugs would be extremely effective.

I use a bit of everything, 5.56 gets it done. 30-30 will too as will a 243.

Shooting from far away in a blind? 243 with scope.

Going for long walks in more open areas? Lever gun or AR.

Tight thick brush, shotgun, slugs out to 100
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 9:45:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#6]
Carry the weapon you shoot the best. If you like the challenge a bow will work. Sense this a first hunt and your paying for it I would carry the rifle I shot best. The shoulder is set forward so crowding it is a good thing. If you’re good enough and have a steady rest behind the ear is as good as it gets. If the skeeters are out I suggest a bug proof suit over the therma cell. Keep your scent down wear snake proof boots if it’s warm. If you will be hunting from a pop up blind practice shooting from a stool or chair with a tripod or shooting sticks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:25:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#7]
100 yards and in I'd go with the AR and a LPVO. Shoot something like the 64gr Power Point, Gold Dot, etc.

Like mentioned, hog vitals are more forward... see pic below.

Link Posted: 9/7/2021 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate all the great advice guys. The Vitals pic really helps. Tiny Brained Bastards! Think I've settled on the .243 because it's a Laser and will get some shooting sticks and practice. Will definitely have an AR in the truck in case that makes more sense due to terrain. Thanks again Gentlemen.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:
You haven't lived until you've hunted hogs in thick brush with a shottie and buckshot.  There's a certain level of adrenaline that you just can't get with a rifle and quarry you can see.

That said, first trip, and you want to find them, I would say the scoped 243 is the way to go.
View Quote

Cleaning up piglets with a shotgun and six's is quite challenging. Like a herd of rabbits on steroids. Plus bonus they squeal!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I just saw pics from the game cams and blinds down there. I didn't realize how easy this is going to be. Shooting Hogs in a barrel basically. I was definitely overthinking this. My new mission is to get at least one Sidearm Kill and have fun with the NV scope a buddy is loaning me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CopyRepairMan007:
I just saw pics from the game cams and blinds down there. I didn't realize how easy this is going to be. Shooting Hogs in a barrel basically. I was definitely overthinking this. My new mission is to get at least one Sidearm Kill and have fun with the NV scope a buddy is loaning me.
View Quote

They can be whole different animal once the pressure is on. Good Luck OP! Knife kill is the ultimate adrenaline rush if you can do. Only thing better is hogtied and carried out. I hate the New Trespass Doggy Boy's but we used to have ball before they ruined it. Only thing I have never done is a drive. I think a hog drive in the right area would be fun like they do in Europe. I got a new crossbow that's not tasted pork. I might just have to use it if I see one this fall.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I do have a crossbow! If I'm not careful I'm gonna end up looking like that guy with the wheelbarrow full of guns out there! I backed out of another hunt when I found out it was a Dog/Knife hunt because it seemed pretty extreme. If I get hooked after this one, I may have to try it out sometime though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I would use the AR or lever gun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#16]
AAR. Managed to take a 200 lb Boar with some nice cutters on him my first night out. Massive head on him and I'm going to have a "European Mount" made. Lessons learned: I'm never Hog Hunting with a 5.56/.223 again! Took 4 shots to dissuade him from wanting to fight. 1st shot was a clean shoulder/lung shot from 60 yds or so. Couldn't get a head shot as it was blocked by the feeder and he somehow hadn't set the motion detector lights off. That just made him mad! He charged my blind and I barely activated my Surefire and got 3 quick shots off before he veered to my left, ran 70 yards or so and then collapsed. I have a 350 Legend on the way, so I'll be more prepared for the next hunt.

Lesson 2: Magnification is a must. I used an Eotech XPS3 mostly during this hunt. I love them and credit it with my last 3 (well, at least 2 out of 3) snapshots that finished this Beast, but I'm using a 1-6 LPVO when I go back.

Lesson 3: Spent my last night there on a folding chair in a bush. Equipped with a NV scope on a feeder with no lights. Smooth sailing until a Hog snuck up behind me. Could hear it breathing, snort and closing in. NV scope was useless in that scenario. Set the rifle down. Grabbed flashlight and G20 and readied myself. It never did break cover or give me shot, but damned if I didn't feel quite alive in that moment!

Lesson 4: I need more patience for this Sport! I'd see Hog and engage. Usually still moving towards the feeder. I'd be better served waiting until they start feeding and have their head down. I blame competition shooting and a bit of Hog Fever for this. Missed out on two smaller, much more edible Hogs by being trigger happy.

I didn't expect to enjoy this trip as much as I did. I was kind of just crossing it off my list, but I'm hooked! Will be back at it soon with better equipment and a better Mindset.

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#17]
It’s been awhile but a bow was an absolute blast on Texas hogs. Glad you had a good time sounds like plenty more adventures to come.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 1:29:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I've always scored well with a 7.62x39 AR upper with Federal SPs.

Pigs are big & tough & while 5.56 will kill them, a heavier wider .30 cal soft point bullet seems to do so better (in my humble experience)
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 1:55:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:
It’s been awhile but a bow was an absolute blast on Texas hogs. Glad you had a good time sounds like plenty more adventures to come.
View Quote

As Brave as my Buddies thought I was for hunting without a blind that last night, there's no way in Heck I'd bring a Primitive Weapon to a Hog Fight!  I also told them that it's only Brave if I survive, otherwise y'all will say "Well...that was stupid of CRM007!" 😂
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 1:57:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

Pigs are big & tough & while 5.56 will kill them, a heavier wider .30 cal soft point bullet seems to do so better (in my humble experience)
View Quote

One Friend brought a 7.62xSoviet AR. Had high hopes for it, but he never saw a Pig. I really just wanted an excuse to get a 350 Legend. Plus the Ranch Owner, who is my new Hog Sensei, uses one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Carry the weapon you shoot the best. If you like the challenge a bow will work. Sense this a first hunt and your paying for it I would carry the rifle I shot best. The shoulder is set forward so crowding it is a good thing. If you’re good enough and have a steady rest behind the ear is as good as it gets. If the skeeters are out I suggest a bug proof suit over the therma cell. Keep your scent down wear snake proof boots if it’s warm. If you will be hunting from a pop up blind practice shooting from a stool or chair with a tripod or shooting sticks.
View Quote

The Skeeters were out! I'm lucky that they don't bite me, but Man... They drove me nuts! This is one bit of advice I wish I had followed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:19:47 AM EDT
[#22]

One Friend brought a 7.62xSoviet AR. Had high hopes for it, but he never saw a Pig. I really just wanted an excuse to get a 350 Legend. Plus the Ranch Owner, who is my new Hog Sensei, uses one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There must not be many 350 Legends sold, because THAT is the ONE caliber still available in most of the cleaned out Walmart ammo cases...
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:37:06 AM EDT
[#23]

There must not be many 350 Legends sold, because THAT is the ONE caliber still available in most of the cleaned out Walmart ammo cases...
View Quote

Major reason I'm getting one. Almost brought a .243 on this hunt. Never thought that caliber wouldn't be plentiful, bit good luck finding some! 350 Ballistics and user results look amazing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I’ve considered buying a 350 legend for that reason
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ve killed a shitload with a 30-30. The 160grn ftx hammers them
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ropin4gold:
I’ve killed a shitload with a 30-30. The 160grn ftx hammers them
View Quote

I can verify this but photobucket ate the pictures.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:44:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CopyRepairMan007] [#27]

Not sure if I know how to post pics, but here's my trophy from that first hunt.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:46:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CopyRepairMan007] [#28]
Im officially 'tarded.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:02:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: badredfish] [#29]
After being here a few years you will get some stuff figured out...

Welcome fellow gun enthusiast.

LOL

Here you go OP

Sweet looking mount!

Red
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By badredfish:
After being here a few years you will get some stuff figured out...

Welcome fellow gun enthusiast.

LOL

Here you go OP

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLU9RlvOrr9IgxKQlH4jKmMDISxgTgy_tt8ywoi2TFvHx0DGkc_GT1IqLiY0XTiXK4uVFJ1Rx9no0eD9IIW_-zXA_l9g70vZ--hVrAMVpYgkJTi0r3FX02cZ6UPbGCjdrYZSx1ph-aWblETvAyPUKg0Z6w=w395-h789-no?authuser=0

Sweet looking mount!

Red
View Quote

Much appreciated Good Sir! First night out. 200lb Boar. Had to shoot that Bastard 4 times before he quit charging. Sadly, I blew out his orbital bone, but I think it adds Character! Built a 350 Legend with a LPVO as soon as I got home. No more .223 on Hogs for me. Helluva adrenaline rush though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top