Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2023 11:01:43 PM EDT
Ok gang, I'm not a newbie to the fishing sports, but my question may be.
A little history, I recently re-spooled a baitcaster of mine with some 15lb braid.
First 6 casts or so were great, then it all went to shit, small birds nest and backlashes.

I'm no stranger to a baitcaster, but this is my first attempt with braided line.

So I guess my question is, is braided line that picky on how its spooled? Or could it be some braided line is better for casting/spinning reels?

Or could it be something else all together?

PS, I'm a bass fisherman throwing mostly crankbaits, swimbaits, and topwater.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I bass fish with 50# braid.

and used this to set my reel

Daiwa - Casting Baitcasters

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Braid does need to be spooled tight on the reel. 15 lb. braid may be too thin to be used on a baitcaster, it may keep digging into itself and not come off the spool smoothly. That is just a wild guess though, I've never used that small of braided line. I'm no expert, but I've never had a problem with using braid on a baitcasting reel, I think 30 lb. is the lightest I've ever used though. Good luck figuring it out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I use lighter braid on my baitcasters without issue.  But you need to spool it differently than spinners:  The spool needs to be lined up... I have a spooling device but you can us a hanger (or your imagination) to fabricate something that will accomplish the same thing... remember tension is your friend:

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It needs to be spooled tight, and i always use a backer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks y'all, I think I know what my problem is. Pretty sure when I spooled it was way too loose. So ill rip it off and try again,only way tighter.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:13:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Piscifun has a reel spooler that works really well and is pretty cheap ($30 on sale right now).

As for backer, I use a thin strip of electrical tape on the spool for the line to dig into on slick spools, baitcasters and spinners.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ruckus:
Thanks y'all, I think I know what my problem is. Pretty sure when I spooled it was way too loose. So ill rip it off and try again,only way tighter.

Thanks for the help!
View Quote
I'm sure you have already pulled the line from the reel so this won't help you now but maybe it'll save some time in the future.
Tie on a crankbait, run your boat at idle and free spool the reel until you get to the backer. All of your line will be out behind your boat.
With your boat still at idle speed just reel in the crankbait. Doing this will tighten the braid on the spool.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Knothead71:
I'm sure you have already pulled the line from the reel so this won't help you now but maybe it'll save some time in the future.
Tie on a crankbait, run your boat at idle and free spool the reel until you get to the backer. All of your line will be out behind your boat.
With your boat still at idle speed just reel in the crankbait. Doing this will tighten the braid on the spool.
View Quote
This is what I do also.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
one does need to have it on there tight, with a decent backing of tape or whatever on most baitcasting reels, but i have also found a big disparity among the various braid brands.  spiderwire: lots and lots of tangles; yo-zuri: flat out breaking in half.  so far power pro has been good to go so i have moved to that on all reels except for one i still have spiderwire hanging around on.  it's just so expensive though.  ymmv
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#11]
when you're spooling next time, wet a towel or wash cloth. Grip the line between your fingers using the damp cloth.

Put enough tension on the line that it almost causes drag to slip. Your line is probably not spooled tight enough.

Or...Do what I started doing.

60% of the spool in some type of cheap mono backer, everything else in braid.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:46:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#12]
Originally Posted By Ruckus:
Ok gang, I'm not a newbie to the fishing sports, but my question may be.
A little history, I recently re-spooled a baitcaster of mine with some 15lb braid.
First 6 casts or so were great, then it all went to shit, small birds nest and backlashes.

I'm no stranger to a baitcaster, but this is my first attempt with braided line.

So I guess my question is, is braided line that picky on how its spooled? Or could it be some braided line is better for casting/spinning reels?

Or could it be something else all together?

PS, I'm a bass fisherman throwing mostly crankbaits, swimbaits, and topwater.

View Quote

15lb braid? Thats like using 4lb mono. Its going to be a pain in the ass unless you normally through 4lb mono on your baitcaster.

Use heavy braid. I use 60. I have to horse snakeheads out of heavy cover. Backlashes are easy to pick out and is rare unless I fuck up

Its not picky how its spooled. After a few long casts and quick retrieves its not going to be tight anymore as how you spooled it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what I run on my bait casters. I was shocked when I saw 15 pound.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top