Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2024 10:54:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends.

If you take it to Camping World, it will likely be tasked to a young fella with less knowledge or experience than you as a novice at it.

I agree that it is not something I am wanting to tackle, but it'd be great if the repair was done by someone that had both of those things.

Is there a way to vet camper repairmen??
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:32:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
In many ways, I feel we are on the same page on this.

With campers and life in general, I've found it sometimes is just cheaper to have someone else do it than the pride in knowing that I did it myself.

It's a job that really needs a second capable person. And, getting halfway done and then realizing that you can not finish it before a thunderstorm rolls in is usually more aggravating and expensive.

As a jack of all trades and master of none, I think it would be beyond my skillset to do it myself. I'll keep doing the things like changing the anode rod or de/winterizing or checking tires/axles. This is beyond regular maintenance stuff
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
Depends.

If you take it to Camping World, it will likely be tasked to a young fella with less knowledge or experience than you as a novice at it.

I agree that it is not something I am wanting to tackle, but it'd be great if the repair was done by someone that had both of those things.

Is there a way to vet camper repairmen??
View Quote
If they have a utility truck and a mobile service, they are probably more competent than a green card worker at camperfuckerland.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I just did all of mine, wasn’t bad. I imagine it varies vastly from model to model, but I just measured my existing ones and purchased comparable replacement seals.

Mine were attached with pan headed self tapping screws and glue/lap sealant of some sort. I unscrewed them, pulled and they peeled right off. Used a windshield razor scraper to remove left over glue.

Replacements came with a 3M self adhesive strip which you affix to camper. Self tapping screws went straight back into new seals. Lastly, I ran a small bead of 100% exterior silicone across the top strip of the seals where they meet the body. I think the 3M strips would have sufficed, but call it cheap insurance to make sure water doesn’t get between the seal and the exterior.

30’ travel trailer with 2 slides. Took me about 2.5 to 3 hours and cost $110 in materials.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top