Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2020 3:50:05 PM EDT
My antenna is a sloping wire running from one tree near the house to a tree at the back of the
property. It's about 90ft long and made from the center conductor of CATV distribution line. It is
copperweld...and it was a bitch to extract from the coax. Blood was involved which assured good
performance. It has radials underneath to reduce ground loss spreading out from the low fed end.
A hurricane has made it droopy and the tree has grown over the insulator it attaches to. So I will
cut the fed end and add a compression style insulator. My shack was in the basement, but I moved it up
stairs...so I need a longer feedline. I was using OLD RG8...new RG-213 is on the way. I also have a nice huge
homebrew tuner I used in the shack. It was great on 160, 80, and 40. It worked some on 20 with poor
efficiency and higher bands not at all.
 I am installing an AH-4 Icom antenna tuner on the fed end of the wire. I hope this way to work 160 to 50mhz.
I have shielded 4 conductor wire on the way to reach the tuner from the shack. While I am at it, I will
improve the ground at the base of the tree...by tying it into my lightning ground field (8 rods over a 60ft
span tied with solid #4 wire). I just ordered 3lbs of lead/tin solder and more #4 wire. I have sheet copper
to connect the field to the tuner. Another RF bushing will be put inside the wall of the shack to bring the
signal inside. I bought large amounts of "miracle repair" tape at lowes to seal everything. It is black sticky rubber
with a white plastic peel off side that welds together to form an epic seal. Joints protected with it 15 years
ago when cut apart to inspect look like new...best stuff ever. Clear silicone rubber sealant will seal the RF
bushing and wall interface.

Everything should be here before my week furlough week after next.

I will update as I make progress and hopefully when I am done can work some of you guys on HF.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you use a specific length for a band/ harmonic or choose a " random" length for a multi band?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PhulesAu:
Did you use a specific length for a band/ harmonic or choose a " random" length for a multi band?
View Quote

I used the length that was as long as I could fit on my lot without using the house as
a mounting point. I like the lower bands best. My success with it before this project made
me happy. South Africa on 75, I worked a dxpedition on the Galapagos on 75, and trans Atlantic
into England could be done even in summer. 40 meters was fun too both during the day and
late at night. Local noise is the big issue.

I am on a city lot. A big one by neighborhood standards. This still means AC powerlines surround
 the property. Add in chinesium switch mode supplies and the horror grows.
Because space is constrained I am trying to optimize my radiation efficiency (in spite of low height)
and reduce system losses as much as possible. Contacts on 160 were amazed I had no amp...
I credit this to the large ground system.

I wish I had more acreage. 1/3 of an acre with 4 buildings leaves little room.

My pals in Europe use 4 squares and George in Ireland has a 6 element yagi made of wire in the inverted V configuration.(fixed)
  Some of them use Optibeams on big towers. They do most of the work. But near their local sunrise 5x7 to 5x9 actual
reception of me indicates my location is not too bad. For about a week around the winter solstice 5x9+10 happens too.

I live in the DX window on 75 when I am on HF.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Still sounds like you're killing it!  Some of those places I only know from maps. My dinky vertical  and lowly ocfd just don't do well crammed in the middle of the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PhulesAu:
Still sounds like you're killing it!  Some of those places I only know from maps. My dinky vertical  and lowly ocfd just don't do well crammed in the middle of the neighborhood.
View Quote

If you have to use a wire going insane making an epic ground to work it against pays off.
 The same is true for vertical antennas. Lots of radials reduce ground losses.

Buying THHN wire per pound at salvage places is a great way to score a bunch of good
radial wire!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Parts for the project are starting to arrive. The RG-213U feedline came in today as did the spool
of Belden 4 conductor shielded control line. Connectors are still not here either.
I am working this week and it will rain the entire time. It may also rain all next week too
when I am off

If everything arrives by Friday I should be able to pull it off on Saturday...if it isn't pouring.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:37:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I think you're going to like the AH4 tuner.

Mine doesn't even flinch with a 60' wire on 160.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope mine tunes 160!

A 50 ft spool of THHN #4 arrived today for some grounding work. 50 feet of solid #4 is on the way too.
 With my radial field and large lightning field tied in the tuner should be happy.

PS. Copper is pretty cheap right now. That won't last.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I got everything but the needed paracord. Even worse...rain and thunderstorms until next weekend.

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top