Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2021 8:29:05 PM EDT
Rounding out preps, I would like a way to filter water from my well in an extended power outage.

Well is an old hand dug one, concrete capped with a plug that can be removed fairly easily.

I can then bail out water. If my well was "good" I would just leave it at that. I have high iron and hydrogen sulfide bacteria.

This is not harmful, it can be consumed but does not taste good. Currently a big filter unit is in-line after the pump, that dumps into a softener.

Water still tasted funky, so I put in an under sink RO, it works perfectly. In a pinch, I can run my well pump with a genny,

would prefer to not have to use fuel on that. Berkey's still the hot thing? Price is kind of off-putting. Also have read that once the filters having limited life,

and with my water being bad i wondered if it will be worse yet. Seems easy, and it can just sit on the counter and do it's thing.

I've used several squeeze or gravity type filter and don't want to go that route to keep 3 people in drinking water.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume you are talking about SHTF scenario?  With iron and H2S, I think treating it with a small amount of bleach plus filtration would do the trick.  

The chlorine will oxidize the H2S and that taste/odor will be gone and it'll also precipitate the iron so it can then be filtered.

I'd just get a 5 micron bag filter and run it through that, if you are trying to make a bucket or a drum of drinking water.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
A Big Berkey is what we go with.  It is an investment, but $278 is not a bad deal at directive21.com concerning the output you will get from it.  If you join the membership at thesurvivalpodcast.com for $60ish/year you can get 10% off that price plus a free Berkey sport water bottle filter.

That membership will get you a whole lot more discounts as well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 3:46:04 AM EDT
[#3]
In third-world countries, the traditional approach is to mount a "candle" filter cartridge in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, set it on top of another bucket, and let water in the top bucket gravity-feed through the filter into the bottom bucket.

Sort of like this, but with generic buckets:

Candle filter cartridges are cheap and readily available in a variety of configurations - including with carbon block elements to eliminate bad tastes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A Big Berkey is what we go with.  It is an investment, but $278 is not a bad deal at directive21.com concerning the output you will get from it.  If you join the membership at thesurvivalpodcast.com for $60ish/year you can get 10% off that price plus a free Berkey sport water bottle filter.

View Quote

I came here to recommend a Berkey filter as well.   It does an good job of making just about any water good to drink.   We use ours all of the time, not just SHTF and we drink more water because of it.  

I also got mine from directive21.com but I have not subscribed to their membership.   First I tried to buy mine from one of the other dealers but they gave me quite a run-around.   I cancelled the order after waiting weeks after I should have had my filter.   I re-ordered from directive21 and got my filter within a few days.  

it isn't the cheapest filter but the cartridges are rated for 3,000 to 6,000 gallons.   It is well worth the investment.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#5]
The hollow fiber membrane filters like the Sawyer removes pathogens but will not remove bad taste or smell. The Berkey with black elements would be my choice also. Easy to maintain, pour the dirty water in the upper chamber and walk away.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I came here to recommend a Berkey filter as well.   It does an good job of making just about any water good to drink.   We use ours all of the time, not just SHTF

it isn't the cheapest filter but the cartridges are rated for 3,000 to 6,000 gallons.   It is well worth the investment.  

View Quote

This^

We actually decided one was not enough for us and bought a second.

Regarding filters. Life depends on what you’re running through it, big chunky material will clog it faster but if you’re just putting well water through you should be good for the longer advertised life of a filter.  We put city water through ours and have to clean the filters every six months or so.  The original  set of filters is over 4 years old and the bottom ~2” no longer appears to filter but we are still using them, it saw about 5 gal a day for two years before we got the second Berkey then probably 3 gal every other day after that (we drain one then switch to the other one while the first filters a new batch).
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Big Berkey. Even if you decide on on some sort on in-line filtration. Always keep a Big Berkey around.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Are there any independent reports on the Berkey Black filter?

Does anyone know what the micron rating is?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are there any independent reports on the Berkey Black filter?

Does anyone know what the micron rating is?
View Quote

There are but you really have to look for them.  Look up NSF certification and things will start to show up.  The bottom line is Berkey is not NSF certified and if you think their claims sound too good to be true it’s because they are.  

Berkey does not publish a micron rating for their products.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Every time I get to wanting one of these and start reading, there are just enough negative posts to give me second thought.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]

There are but you really have to look for them.  Look up NSF certification and things will start to show up.  The bottom line is Berkey is not NSF certified and if you think their claims sound too good to be true it’s because they are.  

Berkey does not publish a micron rating for their products.
View Quote

Beowulf, What filter system would you suggest that has a good NSF certification that matches the original poster's needs?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Beowulf, What filter system would you suggest that has a good NSF certification that matches the original poster's needs?
View Quote

Not really sure, I didn't offer anything up to the OP because I've never had to deal with the rotten egg smell.  I just did a quick check and it looks like Doulton may be an option but again, I have no experience with it.

http://info.nsf.org/Certified/Common/Company.asp?CompanyName=DOULTON&x=13&y=7

The links go to Doulton UK but there's a Doulton USA site you may want to look at.

Specifically for the OP, NSF may not matter much.  He'll know immediately if the filter works or not and know pretty darn quick when it stops working.  Activated carbon works to filter this stuff out so the Black Berkey may work well for it.  The folks that have recommended it in this thread seem to think so and I have no reason to doubt their experience.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Big Berkey. Even if you decide on on some sort on in-line filtration. Always keep a Big Berkey around.
View Quote

I hate to agree with everyone else, but I've been using the Berkey for 2 1/2 years now. I haven't had to change the filters yet. Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:44:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have high iron and hydrogen sulfide bacteria.

View Quote

This is the reason that we bought the Berkey.   It takes all of the rotten egg/sulfur smell and taste out of the water.   I cannot say enough about how it improves the taste of the water.   I like it better than the Ice Mountain brand bottled water which was my go-to before we bought the Berkey.  Even my wife likes it.  

I use a GRAYL for "on the go" type of water filtration but the Berkey water tastes better.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Windmill >water pump > home filter> tap .Well windmill
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is the reason that we bought the Berkey.   It takes all of the rotten egg/sulfur smell and taste out of the water.   I cannot say enough about how it improves the taste of the water.   I like it better than the Ice Mountain brand bottled water which was my go-to before we bought the Berkey.  Even my wife likes it.  

I use a GRAYL for "on the go" type of water filtration but the Berkey water tastes better.  

2Hut8
View Quote

Good info! Any issues with the filters getting clogged? How long have you been using it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 for Berkeys also.  Bought one and now there are 3 in the family.

I also like these, almost the same but less expensive.  They can use Berkey filters or other candle filters.  I actually have ceramic filters in this one as they are cheaper and can't tell a difference in taste.  Someone on ARF told me about these.

St Paul mercantile  

I've bought a few things from them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good info! Any issues with the filters getting clogged? How long have you been using it?
View Quote

No issues with it plugging.   You can tell when the filters are getting plugged up because the bottom half of the filter stays submerged in water regardless of how long you let it sit.

We have been running this set of filters for a year and they are still working just fine.    We could probably make them last longer if we wanted to push it.   Explanation:  Twice a week we dump all of the water out of the filter and refill it.   That puts about two gallons of filtered water down the drain each week.  

Maintenance:  Once a month we disassemble the entire unit, run the metal and plastic parts through the dishwasher, and scrub the outside of the filter with a tooth brush.   I know of people that have run their filters for three years.      

2Hut8
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hope you're not in a hurry if you order from directive21. I placed an order on 03/01/2021 and haven't heard an update from them since.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Berkey just sent out a 15% off coupon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Berkey just sent out a 15% off coupon.
View Quote

Is it a secret or can you share ?
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Been using a Big Berky for 20 years now. Our tap water is ok but the Berky makes it taste better and we don't get that chlorine smell. Every 3-4 months I use a scouring pad to wipe off the ceramic filters and then boil them for about 20 minutes. This rejuvenates the carbon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is it a secret or can you share ?
View Quote

I can’t find it now, wasn’t a code it was sent out I think as my annual coupon to buy filters or whatnot.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Deleted because apparently I can't read simple English.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:10:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I can't find it now, wasn't a code it was sent out I think as my annual coupon to buy filters or whatnot.
View Quote
If you do find it let me know plz
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I also like these, almost the same but less expensive.  They can use Berkey filters or other candle filters.  I actually have ceramic filters in this one as they are cheaper and can't tell a difference in taste.  Someone on ARF told me about these.

St Paul mercantile  

View Quote

I have a friend that keeps putting off buying a Berkey because of the price. This just ended that excuse. Any issues with shipping?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you do find it let me know plz
View Quote

@PA-Minuteman

R15-ZHTZLBVS

Like I said, not sure if it’s specific to my account so good luck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Is the stainless stall spigot worth the extra $$$

Edit: Decides to buy a Big Berkey, used the code and it came out to $250

Thanks @sea2summit

I bought this for SHTF/Everyday use. I had my water tested and it came back with a little iron in it (safe amount) but its throwing my taste buds off. Hopefully this will get rid of that problem for my drinking water
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#30]
On year 13 of daily use of Katadyn ceradyn.
Zero issues.

It ain't fancy and shiny like a Berkey but works.
But then again...I'm an AK guy so fancy flashy shit ain't my style
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have a friend that keeps putting off buying a Berkey because of the price. This just ended that excuse. Any issues with shipping?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

St Paul mercantile  

@Ronin72

No issues on my side with shipping when I've ordered, I've ordered a few things from them including a water filter, also they have a nifty kerosene stove that I've been trying with a Hawkins pressure cooker.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@Ronin72

No issues on my side with shipping when I've ordered, I've ordered a few things from them including a water filter, also they have a nifty kerosene stove that I've been trying with a Hawkins pressure cooker.
View Quote

Thanks for the review! I forwarded it to my buddy. Hopefully I will be able to get him squared away soon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#33]
For a well the trick is getting the water out.  I remember a torpedo device that allowed you to bail water from a well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

St Paul mercantile  

A Berkey is just bling marketing around a centuries old technology.  There are drip filters all over the place if he is worried about price.  You can set a system up from under $30. This technology is used all over the third world for cheap.  Katadyn was really the first to market the technology to aid agencies and then then public. Berkey just found a way to market it to Americans for $$$$.

All you need it a couple of buckets and either a ceramic dome filter or a candle filter.  Some designs even use ceramic potting pots.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Protus and John Henry  brought the Katadyn Ceradyn filter to my attention many years ago.  I bought one and have never had an issue with it.  Just bulletproof.
https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/166-2110070-katadyn-drip-ceradyn
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Had the Berkey setup for a week now and love it!
Makes my Well water taste perfect, best money spent
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Berkey has my vote.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I have the 5 gallon bucket filters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top