Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2020 10:29:16 AM EDT
Any quick and easy suggestions?

I looked up my patriot supply. They don’t report how heavy the food is, which is very annoying.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
What are you asking? 2 weeks backpacking, 2 weeks at home? 2 weeks on a boat? You need to be clear about your application.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you asking? 2 weeks backpacking, 2 weeks at home? 2 weeks on a boat? You need to be clear about your application.
View Quote
Not only this ^^^^^^, but you link goes to ammo page
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Two weeks at home.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not only this ^^^^^^, but you link goes to ammo page
View Quote
That’s an auto link from the AR15.com.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Just weighed the two containers for the one month freeze dried food 37 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
my local Walmart has all the Mountain House freeze dried stuff clearance priced in the sporting goods section.  If you want something to just stash and maybe eat, maybe not eat in the next 30 yrs Mountain House is dang tasty for what it is.  But you pay for that 30 year shelf life

If you plan on just staying at home for two weeks, just buy stacks of what you normally eat.  If you stack what you normally eat anyway and rotate through it, then its just like money in the bank for "lean times" financially.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
This isn’t an exciting answer, but we just tracked how much the family ate for a few weeks, and multiplied the average amount of food per week x however many weeks’ worth of food we wanted to keep on hand.  Then we made a huge Sam’s club run.  Once you get ahead a few weeks’ worth of groceries, you just continually rotate the stock and eat what you normally eat.  This is good for the kids too - no big change for them.  This method doesn’t require any special storage because you’re eating and replacing the food regularly.  We do have a decent pantry and an extra freezer for meat.

We can go about a month eating exactly the same meals we do now, or we could get creative and stretch it further.  For longer term you can mylar bag some food or moutain house is an easy option.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Canned Chili
Rice
Jerky
Canned Fruit
Granola
Boxed Milk
Protein powder
Multivitamins
Canned Veg
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Assuming at home, just 2 weeks of what you eat now that it's shelf stable and have a way to cook it.

Count calories in the package, pay attention to servings per package.

Push come to shove, dinty moore has what you need.
View Quote
This^

The .gov recommends 30 days on hand...if they say that you probably need 90 at least.

Anyway, the last thing you want in a stressful situation is to drastically change your diet. Two weeks extra is pretty easy if you manage your freezer/fridge correctly you can probably go most of the first week eating out of them as long as the outside temp isn’t too bad.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This isn’t an exciting answer, but we just tracked how much the family ate for a few weeks, and multiplied the average amount of food per week x however many weeks’ worth of food we wanted to keep on hand.  Then we made a huge Sam’s club run.  Once you get ahead a few weeks’ worth of groceries, you just continually rotate the stock and eat what you normally eat.  This is good for the kids too - no big change for them.  This method doesn’t require any special storage because you’re eating and replacing the food regularly.  We do have a decent pantry and an extra freezer for meat.

We can go about a month eating exactly the same meals we do now, or we could get creative and stretch it further.  For longer term you can mylar bag some food or moutain house is an easy option.
View Quote
I think I prefer MREs in case that I don’t have a way to cook.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
The problem with MREs is they don't last forever. Eventually you have to eat them or throw them away.   I keep no more than a box on hand for times when you can't even heat water. If you're going to buy something and not worry about rotating get Mountain House, but it will cost $$$

Two weeks of home food storage is a cakewalk by buying what shelf stable foods that you guys incorporate into your daily diet, perhaps with a couple of modifications.  You need about 2500 calories per day per person- more if heard physical labor is anticipated (storm clean up, etc).

Some ideas, again buy only what you will use anyway- make sure you get enough protein.

Peanut or other nut butters, or nuts and seeds.  A jumbo jar of Jif has around 7500 calories and stores fine for 18 months plus
Velveeta shells  and cheddar
Canned chicken and other meats
Canned pastas (spaghettios, ravioli)
Chunky Soups, add rice to them for calories
dried pastas and canned sauces
flavored rices rice a roni, etc
canned or dried legumes
Stagg Steakhouse chili at Costco is $2/can and has 40 gs of protein. Stretch it with macaroni and make chili mac
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any quick and easy suggestions?

I looked up my patriot supply. They don’t report how heavy the food is, which is very annoying.
View Quote
Track what you eat for a week. Double it. Store that.

I guess you needed someone to tell you that
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Dinty Moore beef stew
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#15]
With my 200 lbs of rice, I’ve stocked up on those little cheap packs of Asian and Spanish rice seasoning.  We love fried rice, and the packets where 3 for a dollar. Add a little protein and veggies, makes a filling meal. Just an idea
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
So you don’t have a stash of propane, charcoal, and/or firewood?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Two MREs per day for each person is plenty.

You can survive off life boat ratings also.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So you don’t have a stash of propane, charcoal, and/or firewood?
View Quote
Something like a third of the population of the US is either unable to store meaningful amounts of those, or unable to actually use them due to safety, logistical, or security concerns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Two MREs per day for each person is plenty.

You can survive off life boat ratings also.
View Quote
Yeah, but who wants to when they have a choice?

Lifeboat rations are good for the car because they can withstand heat.  MREs are good for a self contained meal in a package, but a lot of them don't taste very good and a lot of the calories are junk.  For the same amount of money as MREs you could put together your own menu of shelf stable foods that you know you will like.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
For a couple of weeks the above is absolutely the way to go.  For a few months then a boutique dried food like Legacy Food Storage.   Now if you want to prep for a year or longer, with a decent daily calorie intake, then vacuum seal your own

and save thousands of dollars while being able to plan a pretty good menu too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top