Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2022 9:56:10 AM EDT
Anyone doing this?  Can you recommend a compact solar charger to do it with?

So many on Amazon etc.  Impossible to know what to go with.  I don't want junk.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting topic.

I know that CR123's are used in computers to keep the BIOS running when not connected to AC power.  I've never heard they can be recharged.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting topic.

I know that CR123's are used in computers to keep the BIOS running when not connected to AC power.  I've never heard they can be recharged.
View Quote

Different battery. The ones used in computers are coin style like a cr2032. They are tiny and not a lot of practical uses other than watches or timers.  

CR123's are what are used in things like a Surefire 6P. They are a fatter, shorter batter than the AA but with a higher voltage.

As for charging them you could get the surefire USB charger and just about any small solar panel with usb out.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MZCGPH1?tag=arfcom00-20

I personally like the Opus chargers. Its capable of charging nearly all cell styles from AAA, 123s, 18650 and larger 21700's.
They are 12V input so you can run them off of a car battery.
This is the one I recommend (cheaper elsewhere but just an example)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01852TBOU?tag=arfcom00-20

Then step up to a 10$ solar charge controller and single solar panel you can catch on sale just about every sales holiday. Then you can power just about anything small from a laptop, fan, lights, or recharge your existing power tools.  Tons of options.

To expand on one of the many options:

This cheap panel (not the best option but one of the cheapest) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G53TUIS?tag=arfcom00-20

This charge controller (goes on sale sometimes for less than 10$)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NPDWZJ7?tag=arfcom00-20

The charge controller can maintain just about any style of battery, will give you USB out, will also let you run the 12V charger above directly from it if you wanted. So say you spend retain price on all of this you're at $140-150 plus a battery to expand its ability. The battery add on (such as a 400$ lifepo4 100ah) will let you run an inverter to use your cpap machine, charge phones, run lights, etc. Obviously won't power a fridge or a a/c unit but its a huge start. Actually if you have a 12v fridge such as a dometic or Whynter you can run it as long as you are smart about it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#3]
These are what I have. I charge my fenix 16340's and eneloop AA's with this setup.  I tried the ankers and some other chinese knockoffs but the Goal Zero has always been reliable. I do want to try a Jackery though.

Steve

Fenix ARE-D2 USB Battery Charger

Attachment Attached File

Goal Zero Nomad 20

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
CR123 is not CR2032.

I knew that, but didn't think before posting.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have several rechargeable CR123 solar charging units that came with rechargeable CR123s.

They were made for a backpacking / camping water sterilizing unit.

When I can I will post the make, I have to dig one out of preps.

ETA

These are the units I have, bought them without the steripens.

Attachment Attached File

https://www.rei.com/product/807755/steripen-adventurer-opti-water-purifier-with-solar-charging-case
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!  Some good options here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#8]
CR123As are still primary 3.0v cells.

RCR123s are 3.2v rechargeable LiFePO4 cells.

16340s are 3.6v/3.7v rechargeable cells.

All are ~16mm diameter and 34mm long.

Many chargers don’t charge RCR123, but many modern ones will, so check before you buy.

Some older lights using CR123As can run RCR123s, but not 16340s, since the voltage is 4.2v hot off the charger, so be mindful of the driver’s max voltage.

Voltage is compounded when running two, or more, in series.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 2:10:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I also use the Nomad 20, but I use either a Nitecore UM20 charger, or this little one from olight.  https://www.olightstore.com/olight-universal-magnetic-usb-charger.html

Both those chargers work on USB, so you could just do it off of a battery bank.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I use the same charger for AC or solar - an XTAR charger that takes a USB C input.

I have a solar panel that has USB outputs to charge my cell phones that can also run the XTAR charger that can charge typical batteries: AA, AAA, 18750, 26500 ...
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Are y’all saying that the off the shelf surefire or streamlight brand batteries can be recharged using methods, and safely used in a light, optic, etc? If so, now you've got my interest.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are y'all saying that the off the shelf surefire or streamlight brand batteries can be recharged using methods, and safely used in a light, optic, etc? If so, now you've got my interest.
View Quote
Only if those batteries are designated to be rechargeable. It's my understanding the OP is looking for ways to recharge rechargeable batteries using solar versus a wall socket.

I have taken the approach of using solar to charge a solar generator and use that to power devices and recharge batteries. More to move around but I'm not looking to pack the stuff in and out on my back.

Use case is important and dictates equipment.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
These are what I have. I charge my fenix 16340's and eneloop AA's with this setup.  I tried the ankers and some other chinese knockoffs but the Goal Zero has always been reliable. I do want to try a Jackery though.

Steve

Fenix ARE-D2 USB Battery Charger

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142367/ARE-D2-E-02__01358_1649711052_jpg-2418978.JPG

Goal Zero Nomad 20

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142367/nomad_20_jpg-2418976.JPG
View Quote

Using the Fenix right now.  Works as intended.  Very good value purchase.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]
What I'd like to do is be able to recharge NV, Thermal, range finder, radio, etc batteries in a scenario where you are "in the field" for an extended time with no access to electricity.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you run a USB-powered charger like an Xtar VC4S directly off the USB output on a Goal Zero Nomad 20 solar panel?  If so, is the panel’s output sufficient for the charger to charge batteries in the same amount of time as when it is used with a regular wall outlet at home?

I would like to have a portable solar setup that would fit in a pack that I could use to run the charger mentioned above, recharge an Anker portable power bank and also charge cell phones all directly off the USB outlet on the panel via a regular USB charging cord.  Therefore I’m trying to see what size panel would accomplish all of this and also determine if this is possible with just an appropriately-sized panel or if there are other components needed to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#17]
You can bore a surefire 6P or any similar sized light that takes a single 18650 cell. It has a lot more stored power than a RCR123, or two.
also a lot more common.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This above in bold is worth noting and repeating.

OP states that he wants to recharge CR123 sized cells for NV or thermal.

I'd probably stay far away from rechargeable RCR123 and 16340s for expensive stuff like that. Just go buy CR123 disposable batteries in bulk from BatteryStation or whatever.  IIRC, they're OEM'ed alongside Panasonic brand CR123's.

Also, the charge capacity of RCR123 and 16340 batteries sucks, big time.

A disposable Lithium primary CR123 battery has about 1550 to 2000 mAh of capacity.

A LiFePO4 RCR123 has anywhere from 500-700 mAh of capacity. That's only 1/3rd to 1/2 the capacity of a Lithium primary disposable CR123. And the RCR123 has a self-discharge rate just sitting there unused too. About 5% from full in the first day, then maybe 2-5% per month after that. Give or take a bit towards the higher side if it's got a thermal protection bi-metal safety cutout in it.

A LiOn 16340 battery is a tad better at 600-800 mAh capacity, but has similar self-discharge as the RCR123.

And again, the RCR123 and 16340 have higher voltage at full charge than a disposable CR123. Especially if they're stacked in series in the intended device.

The main reason the capacity in the rechargeable batteries in 16x34mm "123"-sized format is so lousy vs. Lithium primary disposable is that LiOn and LiFePO4 has sweet spots for the size and internal surface area of the anode, cathode, and electrolyte that's rolled up in the cell. They work awesome in the larger 18650 cells.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many chargers don’t charge RCR123, but many modern ones will, so check before you buy.

Some older lights using CR123As can run RCR123s, but not 16340s, since the voltage is 4.2v hot off the charger, so be mindful of the driver’s max voltage.

Chris

I'd probably stay far away from rechargeable RCR123 and 16340s for expensive stuff like that. Just go buy CR123 disposable batteries in bulk from BatteryStation or whatever.  IIRC, they're OEM'ed alongside Panasonic brand CR123's.

A disposable Lithium primary CR123 battery has about 1550 to 2000 mAh of capacity.

A LiFePO4 RCR123 has anywhere from 500-700 mAh of capacity. That's only 1/3rd to 1/2 the capacity of a Lithium primary disposable CR123. And the RCR123 has a self-discharge rate just sitting there unused too. About 5% from full in the first day, then maybe 2-5% per month after that. Give or take a bit towards the higher side if it's got a thermal protection bi-metal safety cutout in it.

A LiOn 16340 battery is a tad better at 600-800 mAh capacity, but has similar self-discharge as the RCR123.

And again, the RCR123 and 16340 have higher voltage at full charge than a disposable CR123. Especially if they're stacked in series in the intended device.

The main reason the capacity in the rechargeable batteries in 16x34mm "123"-sized format is so lousy vs. Lithium primary disposable is that LiOn and LiFePO4 has sweet spots for the size and internal surface area of the anode, cathode, and electrolyte that's rolled up in the cell. They work awesome in the larger 18650 cells.

@AJ_Dual

What about rechargeable CR123 batteries such as Surefire?  Which other rechargeable CR123 brands would you recommend for thermal or flashlights?

https://www.batteryjunction.com/surefire-sf2r-cb-rcr123a.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwmJeYBhAwEiwAXlg0AeL0A4P-DAwOEyeKpKjHPiao4_EMsW96e8lbuSSHK1IM7NysYj0g2hoCcAoQAvD_BwE
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have had good luck with the Tenergy rechargeables in NODs and thermals.
View Quote

@Lowdown3

Thank you.

My Nox35 shipped with KeepPower.  Would you give the Tenergy the edge over them or are they comparable?
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Starting to think Rechargeable battery packs that would mount on a rail for thermal, or a pouch on the helmet for NV might be the best way to go (with some extra CR123's thrown in for good measure)

Charge the packs off of a portable solar panel.

Thanks for all the knowledge in this thread and sorry I haven't been more active in it.  I have been reading though.

Hence, I just ordered a pack and some cords from JRH!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@AJ_Dual

What about rechargeable CR123 batteries such as Surefire?  Which other rechargeable CR123 brands would you recommend for thermal or flashlights?

https://www.batteryjunction.com/surefire-sf2r-cb-rcr123a.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwmJeYBhAwEiwAXlg0AeL0A4P-DAwOEyeKpKjHPiao4_EMsW96e8lbuSSHK1IM7NysYj0g2hoCcAoQAvD_BwE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

@AJ_Dual

Any RCR123 is going to need a special charger, or a common charger with LiFEPO4 algorithms.

SureFire markets the K2 Energy brand, which can be spotty.

Keeppower makes some and their quality is usually up to snuff.

We don't have many, if at all, non-ChiCom offerings, so if you need 4, buy 8 and cull the crappy ones.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd run an Anker battery pack for longer run times. They can be recharged easily in the field also. Shoot me an email and I'll send you a quick how to DIY a power pack versus paying $200. for the same thing with someone's name on it.

And thank you for your business! Much appreciated!
View Quote

@Lowdown3

Sending email now!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Double tap
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@C-4

There's some good points about those Surefire branded batteries in your link. It clearly states that they have protection, which means there's a bi-metal thermal cutout switch in there that will flip/pop if it gets too hot. And I'm sure they're OEM'ed by some top-shelf maker too.

But that 450mAh capacity is tiny. Compared to the 1500-2500mAh that a CR123 disposable can produce. I chalk it up to an abundance of honesty on Surefire's part, and perhaps being overly conservative in the stated
specs. Possibly because of the institutional LE or .mil users that may have standardized on Surefire products.

I'm not an NV expert by any means. I've done some home-built stuff with surplus Gen 1 cascade tubes. But for the sake of disclosure/honesty, I don't own any modern Gen 3 or thermal.

Trying to do a little math here. A PVS14 draws about 40mA at 1.5V. I know the PVS14 mainly take AA's but there's some 3V CR123 units too.

So at 450mAh, assuming that's actually correct, that Surefire would last about 11 hours. Somewhat less in practice, because the voltage will fall below what the PVS14 power supply will accept, and the safe minimum discharge threshold for the battery, so maybe more like 9 hours.

LiFePO4 can do a theoretical 100% discharge, but that's going to shorten the battery life. Surefire and BatteryJunction say they're good for 500 cycles, but no details on what the current draw and discharge limit was. Almost certainly not 100%.

Either way, in a PVS14 with a CR123 battery compartment, it'll last you all night, except maybe the winter solstice above the Arctic Circle.

Thermal I guess will vary more widely, as the different models will all have different electronics, and different cores that have different current draw. Plus other features like video out, recording, memory, and processing for on-screen displays and menus even.

So I chose a FLIR Breach PTQ136 semi-randomly, just as an example. Because it uses a CR123 battery, and it's a helmet mount monocular, figuring "people like us" want that or a weapon mounted clip-on, or a complete sight, as opposed to a handheld only like a FLIR Scion or whatnot. And I chose it because it's on the 'affordable" end for thermal at under $3000.

The rated specs from FLIR say a single CR123 runs it for 90 minutes, so it must be drawing around the 1500mA/1.5A max a CR123 can generally handle. And assuming a 2000mAh capacity that a top shelf disposable CR123 ought to have.

That 450mAh Surefire rechargeable would run the Flir Breach for maybe... 15 minutes.  

Then there's still the issue if your NV, Thermal, or LED flashlight's power supply or regulator will handle the additional heat dissipation, or fry outright from the max 4.2V a RCR123 or 16340 cell will have at full charge. If it's a device that uses two in series, expecting 6V, two rechargeable RCR123's when full is giving it 8.4V.

Honestly, I just can't recommend any RCR123/16340 rechargeable batteries for any gear that costs thousands of dollars.

What I can say is what to avoid.  TrustFire brand. Absolute Chinese shitshow. And to be skeptical of anyone claiming their RCR123/16340 batteries have over 700mAh in capacity. They're lying, or blindly parroting the Chinese specs or what's printed on the battery's label, and "don't want to know". If the battery actually has that capacity, it's dangerous to your device at best, and to your hand or body at worst.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@AJ_Dual

@C-4

There's some good points about those Surefire branded batteries in your link. It clearly states that they have protection, which means there's a bi-metal thermal cutout switch in there that will flip/pop if it gets too hot. And I'm sure they're OEM'ed by some top-shelf maker too.

But that 450mAh capacity is tiny. Compared to the 1500-2500mAh that a CR123 disposable can produce. I chalk it up to an abundance of honesty on Surefire's part, and perhaps being overly conservative in the stated
specs. Possibly because of the institutional LE or .mil users that may have standardized on Surefire products.

I'm not an NV expert by any means. I've done some home-built stuff with surplus Gen 1 cascade tubes. But for the sake of disclosure/honesty, I don't own any modern Gen 3 or thermal.

Trying to do a little math here. A PVS14 draws about 40mA at 1.5V. I know the PVS14 mainly take AA's but there's some 3V CR123 units too.

So at 450mAh, assuming that's actually correct, that Surefire would last about 11 hours. Somewhat less in practice, because the voltage will fall below what the PVS14 power supply will accept, and the safe minimum discharge threshold for the battery, so maybe more like 9 hours.

LiFePO4 can do a theoretical 100% discharge, but that's going to shorten the battery life. Surefire and BatteryJunction say they're good for 500 cycles, but no details on what the current draw and discharge limit was. Almost certainly not 100%.

Either way, in a PVS14 with a CR123 battery compartment, it'll last you all night, except maybe the winter solstice above the Arctic Circle.

Thermal I guess will vary more widely, as the different models will all have different electronics, and different cores that have different current draw. Plus other features like video out, recording, memory, and processing for on-screen displays and menus even.

So I chose a FLIR Breach PTQ136 semi-randomly, just as an example. Because it uses a CR123 battery, and it's a helmet mount monocular, figuring "people like us" want that or a weapon mounted clip-on, or a complete sight, as opposed to a handheld only like a FLIR Scion or whatnot. And I chose it because it's on the 'affordable" end for thermal at under $3000.

The rated specs from FLIR say a single CR123 runs it for 90 minutes, so it must be drawing around the 1500mA/1.5A max a CR123 can generally handle. And assuming a 2000mAh capacity that a top shelf disposable CR123 ought to have.

That 450mAh Surefire rechargeable would run the Flir Breach for maybe... 15 minutes.  

Then there's still the issue if your NV, Thermal, or LED flashlight's power supply or regulator will handle the additional heat dissipation, or fry outright from the max 4.2V a RCR123 or 16340 cell will have at full charge. If it's a device that uses two in series, expecting 6V, two rechargeable RCR123's when full is giving it 8.4V.

Honestly, I just can't recommend any RCR123/16340 rechargeable batteries for any gear that costs thousands of dollars.

What I can say is what to avoid.  TrustFire brand. Absolute Chinese shitshow. And to be skeptical of anyone claiming their RCR123/16340 batteries have over 700mAh in capacity. They're lying, or blindly parroting the Chinese specs or what's printed on the battery's label, and "don't want to know". If the battery actually has that capacity, it's dangerous to your device at best, and to your hand or body at worst.

Thank you @AJ_Dual @ChrisGarrett and others in this thread.  I have a degree in chemistry and, in another life, it would have been fascinating to work in the field of batteries.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top